Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 5 Alpine engine/gearbox conversion for 4GTL

uaz04

Due Momianesi
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg This motor and gearbox was driven here, then removed for a racing project that never got funded.
I can buy the lot at a decent price, if it will fit into my 4.
Advice? Thanks in image.jpg

The engine will fit into a left hand drive GTL. You'll need the complete engine with Alpine carburettor, inlet and exhaust manifolds, distributor.

There is some messing around modifying cables, air filter, and you would need to make a custom exhaust. You can use the R4 GTL gearbox (the Alpine one won't fit). Have a look at http://www.renault4.co.uk/renault-4-restoration.htm It's a bit more complicated because it is right hand drive.

Thanks, Malcolm! I've noticed also that the gearbox seems to be from the Alpine Turbo - it's longer and the shifter is at the far end. The distributor is there, but the intake and exh manifolds are not.
Is the Alpine motor too strong for the GTL 4sp gearbox? Do these match up well enough for decent sporty - not insane- driving? I honestly am not looking for a rocketship, simply more power than the 1108 GTL factory. I was looking for the 'Hennessey hot-up kit' solution, or a R5 1.4 motor/gearbox when I ran across the Alpine set...just down the street!

The Alpine gearbox will not fit in the R4 without a lot of modifications. The R4 GTL gearbox is strong enough. I'm using a Renault 5 GTL gearbox in mine which has nicer ratios, but I know some people use R4 GTL gearboxes. You'll need intake and exhaust manifolds and the carburettor.

The Alpine engine is quick in a Renault 4, but not frightening. Tyres, dampers and brakes need to be good. It is difficult to make them run well in all operating conditions - everything has to be just right. I think that is due to the high compression ratio.

The Alpine engine is very expensive to rebuild. I have spent more than 2000 euros on mine and it still isn't perfect. Parts are expensive as the engines are popular conversions for Alpine 110s, and those guys have lots of money.

The standard R5 1.4 engine is much more flexible and plenty fast enough for ordinary driving. Even the Hennessey hot up kit makes a big difference to the R4.

I'm leaning the same way - 1.4 if I can find one, or at least the carb/manifold from the R5. Seems I can get the Alpine engine and gearbox - which was running well only lightly used before removal - for maybe 5-600 euro. I would simply resell them, and fund the more practical engine/suspension/twingo roof improvements to my R4.

If I may jump in.....

Do you talking about 1.4 engine from old R5 (75-84) or from super 5 (84-95)?

I am into some thinking of making R4 little more up to todays road conditions (at least here in Croatia). So some more power would be desirable.

To fit into a 4, the R5 Super won't work - only the first series [up to 84]. They are hard to find around here, even though from 85 onward cars and parts are everywhere and cheap :(
The Super 5 has a transverse-mounted engine - water pump at one end, gearbox at the other, which is why it won't work for the R4

Uaz04....Yes, I am aware how things in Super 5 works....i have drove one (GTE 1,7MPI) for over decade but still was not sure on what R5 (and 1.4 engine) you are talking about.

Now everything make much more sense!

Thank you!

Back