Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Restoration R4 1977

Hy mojobaby, thank you very much for the link and the help. My breather line don't have any kind of restrictor. The 90° metal line from the intake manifold seems closed. I've tried to clean but without any kind of succes.

My 90 degree pipe was also blocked so I drilled a hole through it. Everyone told me that its not necessary and your car will run better with the hole blocked. Apparently it causes a weak mixture (too much air). So I blocked it again and the car runs perfectly.

I don't think that its the cause of your high fuel usage.

If your car is using that much petrol, maybe it's leaking out somewhere. I get about 40mpg/ or about 17km to a liter.

So firstly, check all your connections, also your fuel tank. Follow the line all the way to the carb.

If there are no leaks anywhere then your spark plugs are probably black and sooty. If they look ok then take your carb apart, its likely that the float is not cutting off fuel supply.

By the way, I went to the beginning of your project to see which carb you have (same as mine) And well done, you've done an amazing job and your car is looking fantastic.

Last edited:
My 90 degree pipe was also blocked so I drilled a hole through it. Everyone told me that its not necessary and your car will run better with the hole blocked. Apparently it causes a weak mixture (too much air). So I blocked it again and the car runs perfectly.

I don't think that its the cause of your high fuel usage.

If your car is using that much petrol, maybe it's leaking out somewhere. I get about 40mpg/ or about 17km to a liter.

So firstly, check all your connections, also your fuel tank. Follow the line all the way to the carb.

If there are no leaks anywhere then your spark plugs are probably black and sooty. If they look ok then take your carb apart, its likely that the float is not cutting off fuel supply.

By the way, I went to the beginning of your project to see which carb you have (same as mine) And well done, you've done an amazing job and your car is looking fantastic.

Thank's for the reply.

Yesterday I've tried to re-calibrate the carburetor like harborside video, but mine does not work the same.
If if I understood correctly, he set the idle around 1200 rpm, then with the mix-screw around 2000. Mine screw works(the maximum variation of rpm) around 100-200 rmp + or -.
Re-checked the timing and reset to 7° around 700 / 750rpm. Now runs better but the plugs are black. (So I need a smaller minimum jet or to reset the mix-screw air?).
Seems to react better with a change of the advance than a setting with the carburetor.

Marco, I set up my carb like Harbourseal's video as well and it is the most accurate way to do it.

I've just been to my car and turned my mixture screw all the way in, counting the turns. I counted 2,75 turns.

Turning the screw anti-clockwise increases fuel in the idle mixture.
If your plugs are black, try this:
inside your car, push your choke button all the way in. Then on your carb, loosen the screw that holds the choke cable in place. Then hold the cable so it doesn't move and see if you can open the choke flap a little more.
With the choke button pushed in, the choke flap must be fully open. That is the correct running position.

if it's not fully open, then that means that you're driving on choke and your mixture will be too rich and cause black plugs.

Marco, I set up my carb like Harbourseal's video as well and it is the most accurate way to do it.

I've just been to my car and turned my mixture screw all the way in, counting the turns. I counted 2,75 turns.

Turning the screw anti-clockwise increases fuel in the idle mixture.
If your plugs are black, try this:
inside your car, push your choke button all the way in. Then on your carb, loosen the screw that holds the choke cable in place. Then hold the cable so it doesn't move and see if you can open the choke flap a little more.
With the choke button pushed in, the choke flap must be fully open. That is the correct running position.

if it's not fully open, then that means that you're driving on choke and your mixture will be too rich and cause black plugs.

Today I found an old "carburatorista". He told me that the car runs great and for him the only problem is the 90° curve. He told me to remove the 90° curve and open the little hole (+-1mm diameter).
I'll try.

Well,
At the end I've decided to dismount the carburetor and the "carburatorista" rebuild it.
He told me that the throttle valve and his axle are out tollerance. So he changed with a new set with bigger dimensions.
Right now the car runs better, I've found a leak on the fuel tank gauge that I have to fix. It leaks only when the tank is full.
The spark-plugs right now are in this condition.
IMG_0410.JPG
Right now, if I want to rich up the mixture what I have to do?
The max speed is around 100km/h is normal?
Next year I hope to be at Thenay but with that speed maybe I have to leave home a bit earlier.:doh::doh::D

Back