Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rodeo Recommissioning

It's common to use plastic cages on low noise spec bearings. Certainly not suitable for wheel bearing application, though. I have seen them on gearbox input shafts on many modern cars, where it's very common to fail in exactly the same way as yours.

Yikes! Definitely not for wheel bearings.... Are there any part numbers engraved on them? Would be interesting to see what they were.

It's good to know the bearings weren't supposed to be there. They are SNR 10N6206 but it looks like there are some different types with that number and I guess my variety is U12.

The F111B variant would be good for a wheel bearing but I can't see that written anywhere so probably someone bought the wrong type.

bearing-inside.jpg

bearing-outside.jpg

The bearings in the Renault old stock box that went back on are engraved with 10N 6206 F111 B. They'll be the steel cage ones.

What a pain of a job again - it's a drum brake car and the front brake hose had to be disconnected to remove the driveshaft. Noticed the brake pipe routing was wrong so made up some new brake pipes and tied the steering rack boot that had been pulled off back on. Then when finally back together noticed one of the new lower ball joints has a split boot and I'm out of stock. Delphi one on order (and a couple of spares) and I may as well change it before bleeding the brakes.

How are the brake pipes secured on the early cars? The old ones were unsupported and I couldn't see any holes for brake pipe clips where they are found on later cars.

Struggled to get the puller to stay under the bearing but it's OK as I got creative with cable ties. :-)

20230723_092841.jpg

How are the brake pipes secured on the early cars? The old ones were unsupported and I couldn't see any holes for brake pipe clips where they are found on later cars.

Mostly plastic pipe clips as used on later cars. I have seen sheet metal hook style clips at some points, too.

Back