Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rubber sunroof fixings

Andy McGhee

Enthusiast
This is a bit of a long shot, but am looking for some of these (part number 05 55 499 400). They're for a 72 TL, but the same part was used on later factory sunroofs. Any leads would be much appreciated!

20191219_101325 (2)_LI.jpg

I may be able to help. I have facilities for making urethane castings, and have done so for previous restorations. It would be ideal if you had one to use as a pattern but could also be modelled from scratch if enough information were available .
I am interested in making an entire sunroof from scratch to retro fit to my car, and maybe supply others if there is interest. Perhaps we could come to an arrangement where I made the rubber parts for material cost in exchange for being able to examine and measure one of your cars?

Hi David
What a great reply!
I've spent quite a long time looking for these with no success, so remanufacturing them sounds like a really good idea. I might well be interested in a replacement sunroof too - the original is getting a little tired.
You're very welcome to come and have a look at the car. I'd be very interested in seeing your electric R4 too!
If you're interested, I can pm you the sunroof parts page.

I only have a 3 speed parts book, hence the requests for 4 speed gearbox info, but I assume the sunroof pages are the same.
If you had a broken sunroof strap, then I could use that as a pattern, as long as all the parts are present and it is not distorted - I assume they snap, or do they distort and become non functioning that way? Maybe PM me with what you have (and add Stuart too) and we can take it from there. I am unlikely to get round to my sunroof project for a while but this is the sort of thing I can fit in as it is more in my work area of expertise.

Gentle men I notice that the R4 sunroof has a front aperture and a rear aperture. Would it be possible to just install the front aperture on its own.?

I only have a 3 speed parts book, hence the requests for 4 speed gearbox info, but I assume the sunroof pages are the same.
If you had a broken sunroof strap, then I could use that as a pattern, as long as all the parts are present and it is not distorted - I assume they snap, or do they distort and become non functioning that way? Maybe PM me with what you have (and add Stuart too) and we can take it from there. I am unlikely to get round to my sunroof project for a while but this is the sort of thing I can fit in as it is more in my work area of expertise.

I'll have a look tomorrow and take a few snaps - it seems to be the 'tail' that you pull down over the screws that suffers from fatigue (hardly surprising after nearly 50 years..). Unfortunately I don't have one that's not on the car - will be in touch with you and Stuart (who may have a spare one).

No spares, but will check on the car tomorrow and see. My roof is in taters and is due to be replaced this year, so I might be able to remove one.

No spares, but will check on the car tomorrow and see. My roof is in taters and is due to be replaced this year, so I might be able to remove one.

Hi All.
I have been following this thread since it started as I too am planning to retro fit a sunroof to my project. I have decided that as these are almost impossible to find one of these off the car, and there is only a small handfull of cars still around with sunroofs here in Australia, I will have one made up. There is a vintage car restorer who makes all his parts from scratch - I showed him pictures of what I was wanting and he reckons he can fabricate the basic frame. The rest of the operating components I am sure I can make myself. He even says he can deal with the two-way curvature of the roof which was my biggest issue.
As I don't have access to an original near me I do have a question to ask anyone with one of these - the flat pieces of metal that run across the front and back (the ones that secure the moving part to the frame), do they swivel on the front and back arms? I notice there are a couple of small tabs pointing forward as well. I can't see how they would be able to clear the front edge of the frame unless the cross-bar can be swiveled slightly as it it brought down. Am I miss reading how these things operate? Any clues welcome.
Ron

The frame is very simple and basic, but the roof is highly modified and will be a much greater challenge.
Easy answer is to fit a twingo one...

Hi All.
I have been following this thread since it started as I too am planning to retro fit a sunroof to my project. I have decided that as these are almost impossible to find one of these off the car, and there is only a small handfull of cars still around with sunroofs here in Australia, I will have one made up. There is a vintage car restorer who makes all his parts from scratch - I showed him pictures of what I was wanting and he reckons he can fabricate the basic frame. The rest of the operating components I am sure I can make myself. He even says he can deal with the two-way curvature of the roof which was my biggest issue.
As I don't have access to an original near me I do have a question to ask anyone with one of these - the flat pieces of metal that run across the front and back (the ones that secure the moving part to the frame), do they swivel on the front and back arms? I notice there are a couple of small tabs pointing forward as well. I can't see how they would be able to clear the front edge of the frame unless the cross-bar can be swiveled slightly as it it brought down. Am I miss reading how these things operate? Any clues welcome.
Ron

Hi Ron
These might help. Apologies for the light - it's not a great day for taking sunroof pictures outdoors!20200215_092605.jpg20200215_092554.jpg20200215_092333.jpg20200215_092321.jpg20200215_092619.jpg20200215_092712.jpg

I'll have a look tomorrow and take a few snaps - it seems to be the 'tail' that you pull down over the screws that suffers from fatigue (hardly surprising after nearly 50 years..). Unfortunately I don't have one that's not on the car - will be in touch with you and Stuart (who may have a spare one).
20200215_093024.jpg20200215_093040.jpg20200215_092424.jpg20200215_092348.jpg20200215_092512.jpg

Thanks for those Andy- they are great as I couldn't work out from the spares cat how this whole rubber thing was supposed to work.
Ron

Hi Andy, Did you ever get those rubber clips duplicated? I am starting to gather up the bits and pieces to make up the sunroof and would like to include the clips. Being in 'lock-down' has forced me to get on with the car!
Ron

Hi Ron,
I have acquired a good sample clip to use as a pattern, from Stuart, and it is on my list of to do jobs.
I too have been working more on my R4 during lock down but I will make some time for this.

David

Hi all,
Sorry you have had to wait so long for this. I have the part prepared and ready to pour silicone. Just checking if everybody is still interested for me to go ahead. I appreciate it has been a while and you may have found alternatives. No commitment required from you until I actually produce the parts but just wanted to check there was still interest.

David

I received my share of rubber sunroof clips today, and all I have to say is that I am amazed by their quality - they look and feel like genuine parts. Congratulations to David!

I have some plastic pins (the part that these clips clip on - 79 03 081 012 / 77 03 004 138). I'm not sure if there are enough for one car, but I can machine them out of black Acetal plastic, if anyone is interested.

Back