Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Spotlights

Elwood

Enthusiast
In preparation for winter I thought if look into some front spotlights. So I can see where I'm going essentially. Where is the favourite place to mount them? And any suggestions as to which to go for?

Really like the look of where Jnr. Renospeed fitted his spotlights, just look ‘right’

1691529437246.jpeg

Really like the look of where Jnr. Renospeed fitted his spotlights, just look ‘right’

View attachment 32074
I think those are FOG lights, as the vertical slats suggest they are. In addition, they're yellow and are mounted lower than spotlights should be. Remember to check the "Construction and Use" rules when installing extra lights (available on line) since lights below a certain height may only be used in conditions of fog or falling snow. Furthermore the spotlights should be wired in such a way that they are extinguished when the main beam is switched off.

I fitted my fog lights in the same fashion, and I often use them as running/marker lights, so I can be seen in the hubbub of modern traffic.20200826_140240.jpg

If you do a search if I recall there's quite a bit of info on here on mounting ideas think the best one I found was 2 metal strips mounted behind the grill.. I picked up 2 yellow Bosch ones and guards and fitted 2 cheap LED bulbs hoping the current draw will be minimal and I can use the exixting wiring for now rather than add a separate loom/relay. The bulbs were cheap chinese ones and not the brightest but doubt they'll be getting much use.. just for show really

If you do a search if I recall there's quite a bit of info on here on mounting ideas think the best one I found was 2 metal strips mounted behind the grill.. I picked up 2 yellow Bosch ones and guards and fitted 2 cheap LED bulbs hoping the current draw will be minimal and I can use the exixting wiring for now rather than add a separate loom/relay. The bulbs were cheap chinese ones and not the brightest but doubt they'll be getting much use.. just for show really
Keep in mind that old spotlights have a reflector (a parabolic concave mirror) that only works well with filament bulbs and not with modern led substitute light bulbs ;)

Last edited:
Great advice gentlemen. I am very grateful. I've seen someone fit them in that way behind the grill and that looks the best I think.

Hi Elwood, just a thought but if you mount in front of the grill, won't that restrict airflow into the engine bay?

Cheers Simon.

It never restricted airflow in the R4 from the Marreau brothers in the real Paris-Dakar rally.

I think those are FOG lights, as the vertical slats suggest they are. In addition, they're yellow and are mounted lower than spotlights should be. Remember to check the "Construction and Use" rules when installing extra lights (available on line) since lights below a certain height may only be used in conditions of fog or falling snow. Furthermore the spotlights should be wired in such a way that they are extinguished when the main beam is switched off.
I tend to agree about positioning and use, but the 1990-92 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo has four lights in the bumper which look like two fog and two driving (spot) lights. I assume the latter only work on main beam?

Screenshot_20230813-224256~2.png

The term "driving lights" has no meaning in law and was dreamed up by marketing men! As I understand it (and I would need to check the "good book" for the definitive answer) lights positioned so that the centre of the lens is lower than 1200mm from the road surface may only be used "in conditions of fog or falling snow" I will adjourn to my Construction and Use rulebook and report more later.....

So the spotlights on the front of a Fiesta (see above) couldn't be used with main beam unless it was foggy or snowing - in theory. Thanks, very interesting.

Back