Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Steering arms, which type

DaveP

Enthusiast
There seem to be two types of steering arm available here, one which has a U shaped section and claims to be for "pre 1978" cars and another which says it's for "post 78" cars. I'm a little confused as my car is an 84 and yet seems to have the earlier type part. Are they interchangeable? the later type one is a great deal cheaper as it has a flexi joint instead of a seperate bushing on the inside end.

I'm told I need type 2 (on the left picture) but I have what looks like the type 1 (on the right) on the car, are they interchangeable, the thread is I think the same but the balljoints may be different.

• Steering arm 1.jpg
    Steering arm 1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 89
  • steering arm 2.jpg
    steering arm 2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 90
An '84 car ought to have the later parts (on the left). Probably the whole rack has been changed for an earlier version.

I am fairly certain the ball joint is the same size and taper between the >1978 version of the arm on the tight and the arm on the left.

I assumed it was probably the same thing but a cheaper way of manufacturing the part, always pays to ask a second opinion though, many thanks.

Back