Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

The old gear knob issue

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
The gear knob on my '86 GTL has been taped up where it joins the metal shaft. I haven't tried taking the tape off but the knob is bound to be loose and/or broken. Any comments, suggestions or replacement knobs (in nice nick)?

Thanks, Mark

If there in better nick than yours I have the choice of two for the price of postage ( from Spain), replaced my original (83Kkm) with aftermarket, it would spin if lent on but had not been taped up, on left of pic. 24B17DC2-CAEC-4355-B5F4-EACF34443CDF.jpegthe other came with van in a bag of bits and bobs. Would like to keep one, but welcome to other if its an improvement, if you zoom you can see there not perfect but usable, better of on a car than in a bag..or heres what looks to be a v-good as opposed to good ( no cracks in white ):-
https://www.milanuncios.com/recambios-de-coches-clasicos/renault-4-y-6-296080958.htm

Last edited:
If there in better nick than yours I have the choice of two for the price of postage ( from Spain), replaced my original (83Kkm) with aftermarket, it would spin if lent on but had not been taped up, on left of pic. View attachment 24336the other came with van in a bag of bits and bobs. Would like to keep one, but welcome to other if its an improvement, if you zoom you can see there not perfect but usable, better of on a car than in a bag..or heres what looks to be a v-good as opposed to good ( no cracks in white ):-
https://www.milanuncios.com/recambios-de-coches-clasicos/renault-4-y-6-296080958.htm
Many thanks for your reply and kind offer. The one you got with the bag of bits sounds ok, assuming it looks intact in and out. What would the postage cost from Spain to UK? Thanks, Mark

“Many thanks for your reply and kind offer. The one you got with the bag of bits sounds ok, assuming it looks intact in and out. What would the postage cost from Spain to UK? Thanks, Mark”

Will put in bubble wrap envelope and take to post office for shipping price Monday, will use forum message service to advise of cost and pass details on if all OK. There both good usable, tbh I’ll clean up the dirtier one off my van and send the best out of the two, happy to see it go to be used instead of collecting dust..

“Many thanks for your reply and kind offer. The one you got with the bag of bits sounds ok, assuming it looks intact in and out. What would the postage cost from Spain to UK? Thanks, Mark”

Will put in bubble wrap envelope and take to post office for shipping price Monday, will use forum message service to advise of cost and pass details on if all OK. There both good usable, tbh I’ll clean up the dirtier one off my van and send the best out of the two, happy to see it go to be used instead of collecting dust..
Cheers Laxeian, like everyone I've been in touch with on this forum, you're another nice, kind, person. I'll await further information via the PM messaging service. Aren't R4 owners nice people?

Tricky to remove even when they come loose tape will have been to stop it rattling or spinning
Undo linkage under bonnet 2 10 mm bolts then rotate till knob hanging down trickle suoerglue in gap make sure lined up straight leave to set them reassemble

Tricky to remove even when they come loose tape will have been to stop it rattling or spinning
Undo linkage under bonnet 2 10 mm bolts then rotate till knob hanging down trickle suoerglue in gap make sure lined up straight leave to set them reassemble
Thanks very much, I think I've read that trick on here before. Might araldite (other two part, epoxy resins are available) and it's gap filling properties make it more suitable? Superglue is quite runny; then again, having never had a good look at a (gear) knob on an R4, I don't yet know. First thing is take the tape off and try to establish the original problem. Cheers, Mark.

Back