Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

three-spoke steering wheel and tubular bumpers

Ron from sa

Enthusiast
Hi all,
This is a long-shot, but can anyone point me in the direction of an early second-hand 3-spoked steering wheel and a pair of tubular bumper bars? In the case of the bumpers, the rear mounting brackets would do as I am able to fabricate the tubes if necessary. I am in Australia, but if the price is not too high I would be willing to ship.
These kinds of items are simply not available here.
I have a 1963[?] R1123, which I think might have been fully assembled here. Unfortunately several owners back made an attempt at 'restoring' the car which has created many problems for me by discarding parts and replacing them with God knows what. At the moment I am working through the nightmare that has become the fuel system, the brake system and pretty much the entire wiring harness.
Given that it is such a mixed mess of early R4 and 4L models I have decided I would start all over, only this time I might do it up as an R4 'Economique' or 'Standard', with the basic interior and the blanked in rear quarter windows. I know purists will be horrified, more so since none of these models ever made it to Australia. I like the simplicity and honesty of these basic models , and the car is within the year range that they were being made.
Any leads or ideas would be much appreciated.
Ron from South Australia.

Thanks Andy,
VERY useful. I'll chase a couple of the ads up. I've also bookmarked the site for future reference
Ron

Thanks Andy,
VERY useful. I'll chase a couple of the ads up. I've also bookmarked the site for future reference
Ron
Hi Ron, this all sounds fascinating, please don't forget to post plenty of photos at all stages of the build. Goodday and I hope the fires and so on are nowhere near you.

Thanks Eccles60,
I am documenting the whole process and will make some uploads when it progresses a bit. So far the fires are not too close. We are about 40 miles as the crow flies from Kangaroo Island and about 25 miles from the ones NE of Adelaide. Provided the winds are favorable and not too strong we take some comfort from the fact that there is an aerial water-bomber airstrip on the next ridge behind us (only needed it once about 3 years ago).
All the best.
Ron

After a couple of attempts with those French sites - sans reply, I am re-issuing my plea for an early steering wheel (and the bumper mounts). Any condition as long as it is complete with the centre cap.
Thanks. Ron from South Australia

be prepared for French sellers to totally ignore any messages on non .fr email adresses or English typed eBay messages
you will need a friendly French national to act as intermediary or possibly ex pat living in France
separate plea for assistance on forum again may bring help
I needed a part for my R25 limousine and a friend I made on Facebook had part delivered to him and he then drive over to me and delivered in person

Thanks Andy and Paul,
I have just about given up on the steering wheel, but have had some success with the bumpers and seat frame- There is a local manufacturer of vintage/classic exhaust systems who is making up the tubes. I am still looking out for the rear mounting brackets but think I can have them made up locally as well.
The seat frame for the rear seat is also now in hand as I was able to use some of the pipework from the later part hammock/part cushion frames I have. The only mod required was to cut the side pieces near the front of the seat and swing the front section down through 90 degrees, then some 1" gal pipe to join all the bits. Here is a picture of the frame all tied up and wired together prior to having it welded.
seat-frame-wired-up.jpg
I'll post more photos as this project proceeds. Ron

Back