Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Top Gear Christmas Special 2019

Lobster

Enthusiast
Given that this is top gear is the car still in existence or has it been blown up, shot with a missile, squashed with a piano or variously f###ed over in the service of some drunken luvvie's ego???

To be fair the car they shot with a missile was an unreparable wreck with all the salavagable parts taken off even the interior lenses: all the glass was scratched and seats were ripped and collapsed. The bootlid etc was all replaced with a red rusty one bits and the wheels were all replaced
Also the program is under new management since then and they seem to stray away from destruction.

I'm not getting my hopes up. Renospeed Jnr- I understand it was no great shakes but - in my mind at least- there is an awful lot of symbolism involved in destroying (insert favourite make and model here) which I think can rub off on the general population and it can have long term and unintended effects. But then I suppose if we got too wrapped up in that no-one would do anything, ever! BTW I love your car, it's a credit to you.

I'm going to storm social media tomorrow when the shows on.. Watch this space twitter @it_man_dawson and Instagram @r4_richy

Steady on chaps, I don't quite understand why you are all getting so hot under the collar about this, as we haven't seen it yet. I'm sure it will be very entertaining.
Just to remind you, the army R4 that was blown up wasn't actually on Top Gear, it was on James Mays series, Cars Of The People, and it was a wreck before they started destroying it. The 4 came across very favourably in the programme.
So let's just see how the three amigos find the 4, and how it fairs before we all get so wound up.
Happy New Year, Brian :drunk:

When you sold it, were you aware of the new owner and what was going to happen to it

Now for opinion on this special :laughing:. The first half was entertaining and gave the 4 a good promotion, but the second half seemed fake. I mean the Peugeot and 4 breaking down in the river then miraculously being fine, to the 4 not having enough power to get up the hills, despite being an 845cc which would have a lower ratio transmission (it seemed to be a TL done up with GTL bits) , then moving fine afterwards but I suppose it's not going to go up hill if you're in 3rd or neutral which is where the gear lever tended to be :dontknow:. Not to mention the handbrake situation was likely fake, even though those dash ones can be a bit temperamental.

It's a shame the 4 didn't make it but publicity is publicity and I'm certain a 4 without TV intervention would have been fine ...

Last edited:
I enjoyed it. Yes some of it was clearly faked / exaggerated but thats how TV works so anyone surprised at that really shouldn't be. But I think the R4 came across pretty well and showed that it is a very capable car. But then we all know that already.

I think the damage / destruction of the 106 Rallye was sadder if I'm honest as they are pretty rare these days though by all accounts that one had seen better days... A late model, LHD, R4 GTL isn't rare and there's thousands quietly rotting all over France.

But that Chris Harris has bought it back and is getting it sorted pleases me greatly, would have been a sad end otherwise.

Do we know for certain the 4 is being sorted - have I missed something? Agree about the 106 Rallye. I nearly bought the 205 version back in day, didn't, and regretted it ever since. A seriously fun set of Pugs, many of which have succumbed to a racing death, hence they are even rarer than ever...

Do we know for certain the 4 is being sorted - have I missed something? Agree about the 106 Rallye. I nearly bought the 205 version back in day, didn't, and regretted it ever since. A seriously fun set of Pugs, many of which have succumbed to a racing death, hence they are even rarer than ever..

Yes - Chris Harris tweeted that he had bought it, was getting it back and it would live to see another day.

I nearly, very nearly bought a S2 Rallye brand new in French Blue. The prospect of the finance scared me a bit and I didn't bother. Always regretted that.

Back