Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What Gear Box Oil

Richnd1974

Enthusiast
What gear box oil do I need for my 1989 R4 with a standard 4 Speed Box ? and how much of it ?

Thanks
Richard

my spec.sheet says use API GL5 SAE 75W or SAE 80W 1,8 liter fill till it starts dripping out again (via filler on side of g.box) let oil run out till
it stops dripping. remember gearbox is tilting backwards if car is jacked up.Do NOT overfill as this Will lead to oil-leak via driveshafts.... -R.

Last edited:
my spec.sheet says use API GL5 SAE 75W or SAE 80W 1,8 liter fill till it starts dripping out again (via filler on side of g.box) let it run till
it stops dripping. remember gearbox is tilting backwards if car is jacked up.Do NOT overfill as this Will lead to oil-leak via driveshafts.... -R.
Thanks you

Next Friday I'm taking the gearbox out, replace the main seal, clutch and bearing, while I have the rad out refit the waterpump, got a complete gasket set at the ready and will change the drive shaft seals while we are there. I'll try and document the progress

Well after 3 hours yesterday removing the bonnet, rad, and bits and bobs I was joined by my best mate Andy today who has been a mechanic for 30 plus years, we cracked on, removing the wheels. Drive shafts, then moved onto the removing the gearbox, not easy but we managed it with some jiggly pokey, swapped the main seal and the one above, clutch, release bearing and then put it all back together. I should of ordered a new radiotor as its looking a little but warn out but that's for the future, coolant added and shes running like a honey, anyone considering doing it let me know and ill share the tips... Cheers all it's beer time

I will use liquimoly 75w80 API GL4..

I thinking change the screws for the clutch plugs for this one's.. What is your opinion?

It fit very well.

IMG_20211028_163753.jpg

IMG_20211028_163745.jpg

I would keep original. And grind off those end chips.
Before you put it back apply some grease on thread (just small amount) so you can easier turn it out next time when you change gearbox oil.

Total Transmission gear 8 75W-80 or Tranself NFJ 75W-80.

Neither of them is suitable for our gearboxes, they are built for later transverse engine gearboxes.
Because the 354 gearbox has an hypoid final drive, it needs GL-5 gear oil, or somehting with EP additives.

DAA, both drain and fill plugs have tapered threads that seal by interference fit of the threads. There are no machined faces on the gearbox to accept shouldered plugs / sealing washers, as is the case in your new plug.

Neither of them is suitable for our gearboxes, they are built for later transverse engine gearboxes.
Because the 354 gearbox has an hypoid final drive, it needs GL-5 gear oil, or somehting with EP additives.

DAA, both drain and fill plugs have tapered threads that seal by interference fit of the threads. There are no machined faces on the gearbox to accept shouldered plugs / sealing washers, as is the case in your new plug.
I will try do something with the old screw..

After read yout post I think probably chossed a wrong oil because it is an GL4

IMG_20211030_110014.jpg

Last edited:
Which of them recommend? Nowadays it Wil be more difficult to get an 80w oil, it's a good chance to change for a more comercial oil?
Or only think when will change it in the future?

Screenshot_20211104_155833.jpg

Screenshot_20211104_155729.jpg

I think hypoid 80W fits the bill better.
I use Shell Spirax 80W-90, good old looking and smelling stuff.

Back