Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What have we done this time (R4 F4)

This info is missing from all manuals, official or not.
Many years ago, when I first encountered this problem, I had thought a method of marking an inner mounting fixing hole position in relationship to (previously installed as per the manual) outer bush mounting. It worked but was too fussy in the end, so next time I made it easier. I turned a dummy inner bush from plastic and used this to temporary locate the inner mounting on the arm. Having installed the outer mounting as per the manual, I offered up the suspension arm on the chassis and marked the inner mounting position in relationship to the arm. Then I was able to press the inner mounting in the arm in the correct angle by aligning the marks.
This "special tool" is not entirely necessary, you can simply bolt the inner mounting on the chassis and fit the suspension arm / outer mounting, then mark the arm/inner mounting position while keeping these parts roughly centralized.

Thank you Angel!

Same idea crossed my mind but did not realize it.
Still have question about that method.
Question is. How to position arm with other bracket? Just bolt outer bracket and leave arm to rest freely? or you try to move arm and mark most possible upper and lower position of the arm.
As i understand, idea is to instal inner bracket in such position that there is same amount of move clockwise and anticlockwise.

Bolt the outer mounting and prop the stub axle so that the outer bushing is not under strain because of the arm weight. Idea is to have all six mounting holes of both brackets aligned with chassis holes. Makes refitting the arm so much easier!

Clear now. I think?!:D

Will se how things will go on when i start assembly it.

If i get stuck or "grow up" some more questions i know where (and who) to ask.

TX Angel

Back