Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What have we done this time (R4 F4)

petak

Enthusiast
There is quote from one of Paulo Coelho's novel that my wife saying often and it goes something like this

If there is something that you want really bad, whole world will turn to make it happen"

Last few months i start to believe that this quote have certain truth. You just must stay positive and don't think too much (that i usually do – think too much)

This way i must gratitude her for suporting (at least tolerating) this craisiness of mine

From the title of the topic you could conclude what is the thing i want so bad.

There is certainly 10 years (or even more) that i want F4. Short furgonet with big openable side windows, rear bench and girapfone on the back of the roof.

As to my knowledge there are only three F4 in Croatia still alive in any form.

One in Istria owned by pastry shop that is still used daily as delivery vehicle for shop
Istarski 1.jpg
Istarski 2.jpg

One in Rijeka who suffered badly in some storm when tree branch well on front part of the roof and bended roof and broke windshield

IMG_20200626_150814.jpg

IMG_20200626_150833_renamed_2986.jpg

And one in Slavonski brod. Could be seen on gatherings but was not registered since 2003.

FB_IMG_1590911986920.jpg

FB_IMG_1590911989687.jpg

This is not passenger version that i would like but i believe it is not so big trouble to transfer it passenger. giraphone is already there

Year of built 1981. Imported to Croatia in 1995 from Switzerland where it was used at some airport

Drum brakes all around, and handbrake to front wheels

Inside is GTL model (instrument panel, seats)

IMG-9f83714104f6f44407845516587854ba-V.jpg

Engine is 688-712 and gearbox HAO-146 but i believe original engine and gearbox was changed sometime in the past.

IMG_20200819_180101.jpg
IMG_20200819_180118.jpg

Whole story goes something like this. I know previous owner from our Croatian old-timer and R4 community. We meet few times during last ten years in different Renault gatherings.

Many times we spoke how i want F4 and if he ever decides to sell it he should let me know.

This spring he called me to tell me how he must sell F4 and i am first one he is calling. Financially that was not good time for me to buy car (corona time just started). So i told him my situation and that i am not in position to take it.

Now, another friend of mine is entering in story. He is also here on this forum. Friend from Norway who is spending a lot of time in Croatia. In town 5 minutes away from Vodice, Tribunj. You may know him as BORGEB here at forum.

Actually, we have met each other over this forum while i was still trying to put my GTL in one peace.

Once he told me that he would really like to see my work on GTL. I told him if he is ever near Vodice he is more than welcome to come. At that point i was looking at his profile on this forum where his location was far north in Norway (some 4000km far). But in less than 30 minutes he was at my doorstep. Because, at that time he actually was in Tribunj. Since then we hang out often.

When he came to Croatia this summer i told him about yellow F4 and how it is out of my reach (so close jet so far). Suddenly he said that he could buy it but he need my help about it. As foreigner it is complicated for him to own car in Croatia. So he needed me to take ownership of the car for him.

After few days of discussion about this partnership and final agreement about it we went to Slavonski Brod to see car in person and decide if we really want it or not.

After five hour drive we are standing near yellow F4.

IMG_20200819_200901.jpg

Center of the universe for next few moments

IMG_20200820_090005.jpg
IMG_20200820_090015.jpg

After first enthusiasm about car big disappointment came. Chassis underneath is in bad shape. So bad that going thru Technical Exam (Croatian MOT) is impossible.

Starting from Vodice we did not think about it as project car but car that we could register, get license, and drive right away.

After whole night of discussion decision was made. We are going to take yellow F4.

Asking price was dropped significantly.

In the morning we have done all legal necessity and start our adventure to Vodice.

It was some adventure

Local roads all the way

ruta.jpg

First couple hours we were stopping every now and then to check the car that wasn't done more than 100km in 10 years. And now he is on the road trip of 550km

Good thing was brakes and cooling system which previous owner checked and repaired few days before we decided to come.

After some 200km i finally managed to relax little bit and i thought that car could reach Vodice on his own (without towing it)

IMG_20200820_140749.jpg

Bad thing is that after some 150km right outer driveshaft boot fell apart and all grease was thrown out. So right driveshaft started to knock loud, and it was knocking till we came home.

Also engine mounts have fell apart and engine was making shaking noise when you wanted to start to drive it. After certain speed is reached, knocking stop. Engine was doing fine, but it can be better.

Engine spend about 1 liter of oil in 550km. A lot of which was thrown away thru valve cover bolts.

Beside this problems driving speed was nicely 80-85 km/h. Uphill were little problem but believe it will be much better after ignition is set as it should be.

After we cross Velebit Mountain i had smile on my face. We were some 100km to home and now car could stop and i would not mind it.

Velebit Mountain in the background
IMG_20200820_173351.jpg

After 10 hours’ drive we came home to Vodice/Tribunj
IMG_20200820_184019.jpg

In front of my house
IMG_20200820_184641.jpg

In front of BorgeB house in Tribunj surrounded with our other sweethearts

IMG_20200902_173102.jpg

BorgeB, you are more than welcome to say your side of the story and how you experienced this whole adventure.

Well Petak, this was a great start of dreams come true.
I know of course that you wanted this to happend, but I did also have my reasons.
I never forgot my 67 F4 that I owned from 84 until it rusted away from me in 99.
so, happy happy us!

I heard that story in person but I was just waiting the moment when it will came up here. Get your pop corn guys, it'll be a heck of a story here! :cool:

What a fantastic story Petak.
I love the colour.
It’s great that you have found your dream.
I look forward to your usual high standards when it’s time to repair the fourgonette.

Intrigued by the number plates Petak, are they just for show or is really registered as whats got to be the most desired plate for a Renault 4F4...R4 F4?

Laxeian.....unfotunately those black plates are only sticker. would be great if it was real licence plates. For now car does not have licence plates. In Croatia you must return them when/if car is no longer MOT. Then when you get new MOT you can get old one back (if they are not destroide) or take new one. Same thing is when car is changing owner and county.

For now idea is to sort out chassis and make it road leagal with "old not so rusted shell".
Somekind of "rat look"
Bumpy "neglected" body with perfect chassis and mechanic underneat

Whole story goes something like this. I know previous owner from our Croatian old-timer and R4 community. We meet few times during last ten years in different Renault gatherings.

Many times we spoke how i want F4 and if he ever decides to sell it he should let me know.

This spring he called me to tell me how he must sell F4 and i am first one he is calling. Financially that was not good time for me to buy car (corona time just started). So i told him my situation and that i am not in position to take it.

Now, another friend of mine is entering in story. He is also here on this forum. Friend from Norway who is spending a lot of time in Croatia. In town 5 minutes away from Vodice, Tribunj. You may know him as BORGEB here at forum.

Actually, we have met each other over this forum while i was still trying to put my GTL in one peace.

Once he told me that he would really like to see my work on GTL. I told him if he is ever near Vodice he is more than welcome to come. At that point i was looking at his profile on this forum where his location was far north in Norway (some 4000km far). But in less than 30 minutes he was at my doorstep. Because, at that time he actually was in Tribunj. Since then we hang out often.

When he came to Croatia this summer i told him about yellow F4 and how it is out of my reach (so close jet so far). Suddenly he said that he could buy it but he need my help about it. As foreigner it is complicated for him to own car in Croatia. So he needed me to take ownership of the car for him.

After few days of discussion about this partnership and final agreement about it we went to Slavonski Brod to see car in person and decide if we really want it or not.

After five hour drive we are standing near yellow F4.

View attachment 27050

Center of the universe for next few moments

View attachment 27051
View attachment 27052
After first enthusiasm about car big disappointment came. Chassis underneath is in bad shape. So bad that going thru Technical Exam (Croatian MOT) is impossible.

Starting from Vodice we did not think about it as project car but car that we could register, get license, and drive right away.

After whole night of discussion decision was made. We are going to take yellow F4.

Asking price was dropped significantly.

In the morning we have done all legal necessity and start our adventure to Vodice.

It was some adventure

Local roads all the way

View attachment 27053

First couple hours we were stopping every now and then to check the car that wasn't done more than 100km in 10 years. And now he is on the road trip of 550km

Good thing was brakes and cooling system which previous owner checked and repaired few days before we decided to come.

After some 200km i finally managed to relax little bit and i thought that car could reach Vodice on his own (without towing it)

View attachment 27054

Bad thing is that after some 150km right outer driveshaft boot fell apart and all grease was thrown out. So right driveshaft started to knock loud, and it was knocking till we came home.

Also engine mounts have fell apart and engine was making shaking noise when you wanted to start to drive it. After certain speed is reached, knocking stop. Engine was doing fine, but it can be better.

Engine spend about 1 liter of oil in 550km. A lot of which was thrown away thru valve cover bolts.

Beside this problems driving speed was nicely 80-85 km/h. Uphill were little problem but believe it will be much better after ignition is set as it should be.

After we cross Velebit Mountain i had smile on my face. We were some 100km to home and now car could stop and i would not mind it.

Velebit Mountain in the background
View attachment 27055
After 10 hours’ drive we came home to Vodice/Tribunj
View attachment 27056
In front of my house
View attachment 27057

In front of BorgeB house in Tribunj surrounded with our other sweethearts
View attachment 27058
BorgeB, you are more than welcome to say your side of the story and how you experienced this whole adventure.
That is a fantastic story and really uplifting. We bought Ronnie, our first R4, on an impulse whilst returning from the tip, in France. We did little to it, but drove it back from southern france up to Staffordshire, where over the winter we got it serviced and Mot'd here, so we knew all was well, a few repairs and adjustments and then drove it back to our house in France. 1500 miles or so. Both great adventures, and every time you stopped, people came and talked to you. Fantastic. Life event.

Dismantling started from engine bay.

IMG_20210117_165211.jpg

Marking all electrical connection

IMG_20210117_165301.jpg

And brake lines.

IMG_20210117_165238.jpg

So i can put them back in place.

I can see that some electrical connection and lines will have to be renewed.

It is getting harder than i tought it would be.

Tried to remove front outher and inner wings but bolts are rusted and hard to undo.
Few snaped, which is better solution. Worst case is if bold start to spin, and i can not reach other side to hold nut (or cage nut)
80% of bolts and nuts are rusted and wont be able to use them back.

What is worse, whole chassis (even flor from inside) and wings are painted with somekind of underbody chipstone protection that is not helping during dismantling process.

Left side wings are off.

IMG_20210130_150258.jpg

Some rust at inner wing.

IMG_20210130_150238.jpg

And some holes right beside master brake cilinder
IMG_20210130_150311.jpg

Right side is partly down.
One bolt (last one naturally) is turning and must use grinder
IMG_20210130_150323.jpg

No regrets or frustration here.
Just desciption of situation.
Althought i was hopping it will be sligtly easier.

No turning back now.

Now i am even more eager to repair it as it deserve.
This car will "shine" again on the road.

I am glad i have decided to remove front wings because of this rust holes under it.

Once again it shows how pictures in adds can be deceptive.

Hope to give you more progresa tomorrow. (if rain alows me)

Back