Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

What's my best approach..

Richnd1974

Enthusiast
I've noticed the dreaded grot has appeared in my boot, apparently common where the seat belt mounts were fitted on later models, what's my best approach to fix, looking from the outside in the outer arch is solid no flex or rot, just appears to be on the inside, I can't find a panel that looks the same, would it be acceptable to cut out the rot and weld a new plate in place, assume that it might fail its mot as is unless I remove the seat belts or is this something more involved

20210913_160401.jpg 20210913_160407.jpg

Clean it all out Rich and weld fresh metal in.
Then protect it better then renault did.

Why wouldn't it pass MOT? If you make sure that the plate is welded good and you protect and paint it, I don't think they will see something of it.

within 12 inchs of a seatbelt mount
If seatbelts are not fitted, its left to rot away like it was on my car to the point the mount was not there and it was a massive hole

If it's surface rust it would only be an advise, if there's a hole then yes it's a failure. Good luck

within 12 inchs of a seatbelt mount
If seatbelts are not fitted, its left to rot away like it was on my car to the point the mount was not there and it was a massive hole
What if you make a new plate, weld it in, protect and paint it the original blue. After that you drill a hole on the right place, weld a nut on it and place the mount with red loctite. Wouldn't that be ok for MOT?
Here in Belgium when it's properly restored and safe, it's ok.

I have it booked in with a local car body shop that will cut out the rot and fabricate a new panel, clean it, prime it and paint it. They said they can complete it in three days, I'll share the results once complete

Back