Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Where to buy a Fuel pump?

Bandido

Enthusiast
I have finally sorted a fuel starvation problem which is a combo of the sender (earth issue) and a tired fuel pump. Looking on Franzose they all say LHD only - so any idea where I can get one, or is this not relevant? It is going on a 79 R4F4 RHD van. Thanks for any expert advice!

you need the hanging type of pump.
it has no lever but a pushrod to operate the pump.
Can you detach the pump and send me a photograph. I have one that is only 7 years old. And in good working order.

you need the hanging type of pump.
it has no lever but a pushrod to operate the pump.
Can you detach the pump and send me a photograph. I have one that is only 7 years old. And in good working order.

Thanks very much. I know exactly the pump I need I just don't know why a LHD drive car would have a different one as the RHD column clears the pump anyway.

It sounds as though your van has an 845 Billancourt engine. On Cléon engines (e.g. 1108cc), the pump fitted to most LHD R4s would foul the steering column on RHD vehicles, hence the upside down appearance of pumps on UK vehicles.

845 engine (Billancourt):

1581507519327.png

Cléon engine (1108cc):

20200212_111956 (3).jpg

Try Mister Auto UK - they're fast and reliable.

Is this the type on your van?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valeo-Serv...leo+247101&qid=1581509815&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Last edited:
It sounds as though your van has an 845 Billancourt engine. On Cléon engines (e.g. 1108cc), the pump fitted to most LHD R4s would foul the steering column on RHD vehicles, hence the upside down appearance of pumps on UK vehicles.

845 engine (Billancourt):

View attachment 25181

Cléon engine (1108cc):

View attachment 25183

Try Mister Auto UK - they're fast and reliable.

Is this the type on your van?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valeo-Serv...leo+247101&qid=1581509815&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Thanks Andy - now that makes perfect sense. Yes my van is the smaller engine and has the Renault 5 mk1 interior with the super thin steering wheel! The pump sits upright. The tank is out now so I am replacing the sender unit as well as it is very slow!

Thanks very much. I know exactly the pump .
hey man, only trying to help you out.
if you had told us in your opening post what engine type you had, then this would not have been necessary.
well you got your answer from Andy
Good luck with finding a new pump.
Regards, Robert.

hey man, only trying to help you out.
if you had told us in your opening post what engine type you had, then this would not have been necessary.
well you got your answer from Andy
Good luck with finding a new pump.
Regards, Robert.
Sorry did not mean to cause offence. I am an amateur at this hence why asking for help!

sadly us old hands have had many years of problem solving and lots of relevant questions need answering b4 advice can be given
rhd and lhd advice varies so between us we get there i n the end

Back