Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

WTB - R4 TL 1991 Engine Support Strut

jack23247

Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

New member here: I'm the proud owner of a 1994 Renault 4 TL (950cc) and I've found this forum while trying to address an issue with my engine, as it's violently jolting and shutting down whenever starting from a stand in first gear.

This has happened for the first time after replacing the starter motor and it happens intermittently at first but, after a couple of starts from standstill it becomes impossible to use the first gear. The problem will go away temporarily if we reseat the engine and apply locktite to the engine mount bolts (which tend to come very loose due to the extreme vibrations)... so far the gearbox has been swapped out and the clutch has been replaced but the problem has always come back after some time driving the car.

I have concluded that the support strut that goes over the starter is missing and the new starter motor, which is smaller than the original, doesn't provide enough support for the engine, thanks to those two threads on this forum:
https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/renault-4-violent-judder-in-first-gear.6417/
https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/starter-motor-engine-mounting-bracket.1914/

I am thus looking for the appropriate strut for my engine, in the hope that this issue that's been plaguing me for years can be solved once and for all.

Kind regards,
JM

Andy,

Thank you for your swift response.

Yes, that seems to be the case. If I'm not mistaken, I should see the bracket here:
photo6001207131409331901.jpg

Regarding the link you posted: that would be perfect, thank you very much. Are there any difference between engine versions (e.g. does it matter that my engine is a 950cc one) or are those brackets all the same?

Kind regards,
JM

Can I ask what the oval plate (under the bonnet) number is on your car? I'm guessing that if it's a 956cc, it'll be R112C.
The bracket in the link I posted is for 'Cléon' engines (mostly 956/1108 engines, but also 852 in Spain). Renault 4s with engine of 845cc or less have a different 'Billancourt' engine, and the bracket is different on these.
I'm sure you'll notice a huge difference once the bracket is installed.
This is the relevant parts page for Cléon-engined cars:
1651066911738.jpeg

Sure, it says 112C, but with no "R" in front.

Here's a picture of the oval in the plaque for completeness:
20220427_171210.jpg

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable about the engines in my car as I haven't gotten my hands dirty with it (yet), so if you could teach me how to read this plaque I'd be grateful.

Andy,

Thank you very much for your help so far!
And thanks, I'll need it :)

Kind regards,
JM

I have a good spare bracket if needed

Sure, it says 112C, but with no "R" in front.

Here's a picture of the oval in the plaque for completeness:
View attachment 30343

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable about the engines in my car as I haven't gotten my hands dirty with it (yet), so if you could teach me how to read this plaque I'd be grateful.
Jack
As your plate shows, it's 112C (without the 'R') - my apologies!
Best
Andy

Hi everyone,

I know it's been a (long) while but I just wanted to thank you all for helping -- it seems like the problem has been solved by reinstalling the missing strut!
Sadly, it seems like an intermittent coolant leak has popped up, and the engine will need a new head gasket (and hopefully just that). More on that in the future, I guess.

Kindly,
jm

Back