Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1975 Renault 6TL - the fine line between brave and stupid

Vulgalour

Enthusiast
This is copy-pasted from other forums I frequent, but I've had some nudges to share the story over here too, so here it is...

A collection date has been arranged of Friday this week and now that money has left my bank account I think I can risk a proper update on what I know so far and what exactly convinced me to purchase this car.

The man who is actually responsible is the same that allowed me to realise the childhood dream of owning a Citroen BX so it's not the first time Wales, French cars and fellow enthusiasts haven't been involved in my car history. Mr Seabrook maintains an enjoyable read of a blog here: http://classichub.wordpress.com/ and it was this particular entry that convinced me to take the chance on the car due to the high resolution images posted: http://classichub.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/buy-a-classic-car-for-80/

At a first glance by most, my sanity at taking on such an obscure and rough looking car is questioned by some of my peers. This is entirely understandable, who in their right mind purchases a car with no tax, no test, that's been off the road for 20 years and has been lifted by its roof? They seem to forget I've done this before and am presently working my way through a car that's been off the road for 17 years, has no tax or test and has needed a head rebuilt and new interior which is now not very far from being back on the road due to determination and plain old luck on my part.

Look beyond the obviously bad paint, surface rust and bent gutters and you might just begin to see what I do: a solid, appealing little car that'll be great fun for bombing around town in. This is still a bit of a gamble, it could have hidden horrors and I've not properly seen the passenger side yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic it will be on the whole okay. For me it's ideal because as much as I like that beautifully restored cars exist, I am unhealthily fond of cars that have been knocked about and look their age.

The following images are not my own, they have been taken by others and made public online, I've just rehosted them in my own gallery to save their bandwidth.

Since at least 1993 (when the car was last taxed) it has been in a barn. I presume from the info I've had online that it was this barn where we see a Panhard and a Renault Rodeo sitting side by side. This in itself has probably kept the little Renault in reasonable condition and since the barn appears to be well ventilated I'd hazard that it's the only reason the car hasn't suffered too much from excessive surface corrosion.
00-01_zps92b5f1df.jpg

For the past year or so, all the cars that were in the barn have been evicted and had been up for sale at quite sensible prices. The little Renault was priced for scrap at £80 and at that price it would be silly not to go for it.
00-02_zps8dafc70f.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't resist a lost cause. This will be the fourth car that I'll be getting back on the road. The first was my 1985 VW Polo which had spent about 10 years off the road, the second a 1984 VW Golf cabriolet my brother now uses as a daily and had spent about 3 years off the road and the third the aforementioned 1981 Princess which had spent 17 years off the road. Taken this one on only seems like a sensible progression to me.
00-03_zps66ca8638.jpg

Water has, unfortunately, got inside but it's also stayed inside so I daresay the floors are probably not too appalling though I do remain realistic about this because old French cars do like to rot. The door card has also got warped by water by the looks of things, but that'll be easy to sort.
00-04_zpsdd962669.jpg

Carpet lifted and some rust staining is apparent so it may need a bit of welding in there, but I shan't know until I can get a good poke at it.
00-06_zps124cc8a9.jpg

Rear arch isn't too bad, a bit of surface rust could be hiding greater horrors but in all honesty I'm not expecting too much of a scare here as it doesn't look to have been attacked with filler. Fairly standard point of corrosion on any car too so if it needs repairing that's no great surprise.
00-07_zps58b53523.jpg

Quality French detailing here.
00-08_zpsb3f24de5.jpg

Roof looks reasonable, there's no obvious kink where the straps had been put so I'm comfortable that this is probably still very solid. The rust in the gutters is just surface stuff, I had to deal with similar on my daily driver so I'm sure that can be remedied easily.
00-09_zps28a4d8de.jpg

Engine bay looks very tidy with minimal surface corrosion so I might be lucky with this. From what little I've found on the 6, one of my theories for the car being laid up is a gearbox issue so it's going to have to be a softly-softly approach to recommissioning to find out what may be amiss here. You never know though, it may surprise me by having nothing wrong.
00-10_zps03760259.jpg

Passenger side is obscured and this is the only bit that worries me. The rear door has a big dent in it which I think is making things look wonky. I just hope it's not been hit too hard on this side as that could cause me real problems, though I do expect it's more likely to just be a big dent that needs pushing out.
00-11_zps137f6f37.jpg

First view I got of the back of the car was promising, pretty much devoid of rust streaks and with lights intact.
00-13_zps4470f7da.jpg

Second view was more reassuring. Seeing the body sit nice and high above the wheels is reassuring as ones with collapsed rear chassis/suspension seem to have the wheels disappear up into the arches. There's a hint of filler in the bottom of the rear wing but again it's a common grot-spot on older cars so I'm okay with that.
00-14_zpscafc86fc.jpg

As and when I have more pictures I will update again. I shan't be working on the car myself initially - which is very frustrating - as it will be staying in Wales while I'm several hundred miles away in Derbyshire. The reason for this is that I simply don't have the space to store the little thing here until my red Princess is moved to its new home. In the meantime, the 6's caretaker will be doing the fettling work I like to get stuck in on and keeping the car secure as well as investigating it for the problems it will undoubtedly have.

well done for saving what is a very rare car now saw the photos on a s as i am a member of their facebook group have got quite a lot of spare panels and mechanical bits if you get stuck
reading your quick appraisal of your you car guess you haven't been under neath it in too much detail as that will be where the truth lies on its viability
wishing you lots of luck and hopefully not much welding

Thanks for posting over here, we saw the post over on autoshite and I hoped someone would be crazy enough to save this car! I wish you the best of luck when you poke around the chassis and if you need any help or encouragement this is the place to ask.

Since the mechanicals are the same as the R4 GTL you shouldn't have too much trouble getting parts, even things like gearboxes can be found, should you need one.

I've not even been to see this car in person, I bought it on the strength of the photographs, the description of the car and the very low price. The car will be kept at the end of a three hour drive away from me in the short term too because I can't store it at home. The plan, ridiculously, is to get it on the road in May so that I can drive it back from Wales when I shall be delivering one of my Princesses to its new owner, the Princess that I rescued similarly on the strength of some photographs and a description of condition.

I will undoubtedly be asking for parts and support because I know next to nothing about R6s and there's next to nothing to know online.

Glad to see you've posted it here! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out and whatever you need I reckon you'll find it here.
Also, you need to get this sorted and to Thenay next year, there were a few R6 there in 2011 but none from over here :)

What/where is Thenay?

The 6 was collected today by the superhero caretaker that's looking after it in Wales for me. I'll have a full update, but it comes with some surprise bonuses including the V5. Brakes are free, but the brake pedal is apparently completely solid. I'm thinking this is seized-off calipers or a stuck servo (assuming it has one). From the initial report it sounds far better than I'd anticipated but I'm waiting on a full update as and when the caretaker has had chance to recover from his 4:30am start.

Welcome to the forum!

Excellent news, so glad this 6 has been saved.

We're just rebuilding a princess ourselves too :-)

It's a late 2.0 hl, and it another car that's been sat for many years in a car park. It's in good condition apart from the usual wear on the interior and the engine has had to be replaced, there's a little welding needing doing to a rear wheel arch. And we've had to redo the brakes. The paint is not in good condition but it's not going to be a looker, just keeping it on the road is all were trying to do.

Sounds right up my street does that as that's precisely the approach taken with the 2.0 HLS I'm working on. I'm sure http://leylandprincess.co.uk/forum/index.php would be interested to hear that you've saved one, seems to be getting a little more common now for people to save Princesses rather than scrap them and it's about time too.

This is the first picture I have of the 6 now that it's been liberated from the field in Wales. More news as it comes to me.

20140110-01.jpg

MrDuke (the caretaker) has kindly uploaded a whole raft of pictures and provided me with more details so what follows is a combination of his and my observations. I really cannot emphasise enough how much of a boon the caretaker is with rescuing this car, without him I could not have made this a possibility.

Off the trailer, we get a good look at the side of the car I hadn't even really seen. I'd overestimated how much damage there was, it really isn't that bad as long as you ignore the wavy gutter. That front door could be repaired but I'm told by MrDuke that a spare dent and almost completely rust free door comes with the car anyway with what looks to be the correct colour trim card so I needn't have this door repaired if I don't want to.

20140110-02.jpg

A better look at the other side which we'd already seen. That front wing has lost a good slab of paint but appears to be otherwise fairly solid.

20140110-03.jpg

Passenger side from the rear and a hint of that spare door. Looks like the original Citroen mudflaps are there too, but they're looking a bit worse for wear now.

20140110-04.jpg

Driver's side from the rear, and again no real horrors of note on the face of things, the car looks nice and straight.

20140110-05.jpg

MrDuke got under the car to have a look at the underpinnings. Even the rubber boots look in good order! There's evidence of a good amount of rust protection and minimal surface rust under here too, we'll know better what's what when it goes up on a ramp.

20140110-06.jpg

20140110-07.jpg

Passenger side wing has been knocked about a bit and is losing paint. Probably sensible to replace it, but in the meantime I think rust treatment and waterproof paint is going to be the best course, I don't want to be wading into a full respray at this point.

20140110-08.jpg

This gives an idea of the state of the gutters. There's some crusty corrosion all the way along both sides and this particular spot is the worst of the damage over the passenger front door where it's been crushed. Gutters, from what I've learned on other build threads and blogs, are a difficult thing to put right. Again, I think in the short term cleaning, rust treating and waterproofing are the best options rather than worrying about cosmetics but eventually it will get put right properly. The dent in the roof is going to be tricky to repair but I think I can probably do that if I can peel back some of the headlining in this spot.

20140110-09.jpg

The bend in the gutter is jamming the door at the moment and the deformed trim is likely not helping. I begin to wonder if rather than the car having been lifting by its roof if instead it's had something dropped on it like a beam of wood or something.

20140110-10.jpg

Let's take a look inside, shall we? From what I've learned, the 6 is notorious for rotting out where the inner arches meet the boot floor. On this 6, that seems not to have happened. Here's the passenger side.

20140110-11-1.jpg

Boot floor is exceptionally clean.

20140110-12-1.jpg

The driver's side isn't quite as good and there appears to be some substantially sized plates rivetted on which will need investigating at some point. Not entirely sure what's going on with that so hopefully someone with more 6 knowledge can shed some light on this. I know the petrol filler neck is on this side and that they throw road dirt up into the C pillars so I'm wondering if it's related to trapping dirt and rotting out here. Looks like it's been repaired a long time ago.

20140110-13-1.jpg

From MrDuke himself "all the gears can be selected fairly easily (the horizontal-shift is just awesome) so no gremlins there, and I've discovered a NOS fanbelt under the seat (hopefully it won't have suffered too much in the wet). Handbrake seems to be functioning OK too, although I won't leave it on for fear of seizure. Rear seats fold & unfold perfectly, seatbelts seem fine (no inertia reels to worry about), windows all go up & down smoothly, and all switchgear is present and intact. Aside from the warping on the door-cards, I can't see any actual damage to the interior trim other than the dash fascia and boot liners, and assuming the mould hasn't discoloured the vinyl I think it should clean up very nicely indeed. "

The dash fascia is crumbly so it sounds like the plastic has degraded beyond the point of salvaging and the rear arch plastic trims - there just to protect the paint - are typically fragile.

20140110-14-1.jpg

The car has only done a meagre 31,000 miles which is probably why it's so good overall. The French are very good at interesting dashboards and I really like the look of this one.

20140110-15-1.jpg

Pinged Hill Garage is now a Kia Dealership, located in Carmarthenshire. It's likely this little Renault which was sold in South Wales and presently resides in North Wales has never actually left the land of Daffodils and singing.

20140110-16-1.jpg

This could also explain a lot on the lack of rust front. It's not a system I've heard of before, but I suspect they're all much of a muchness.

20140110-17-1.jpg

That's a fairly comprehensive look at things I think. These pictures have made me feel even more confident about this little car. The thing to hope for now is that the chassis is moderately sound and that the floor pans don't need too much work, I'm not going to make any predictions on that score because I can't sensibly do that. MrDuke will be getting the car up on a ramp to find out what's going on underneath and if there are any concerns that need addressing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the shabby paint is actually the original now that I've seen the above and I also wouldn't be surprised if the reason the brakes don't work is down to sticky caliper pistons or something similarly simple to resolve.

Originally I didn't regard this car as a barn find, but I'm wondering if I need to change my mind on that. It's a rare, low mileage, reasonable condition little classic that has actually spent a long time in a barn and judging by the prices of the few pristine examples that do come up I could be looking at something that's worth a bob or two when it's all sorted. That said, I didn't rescue this to make money, I rescued it because I could and it looked like it deserved it.

MrDuke has been busy on the island of a billion raindrops and found opportunity to inspect the 6 a little further. Head off and water in all the bores.
20140207-01.jpg

Oil too.
20140207-02.jpg

That means I have yet another car with OMGHGF looking at that which is no great surprise. The liners look okay, there's no evidence of water rusting things away for the past 20 years while the car has been stood. I'm no expert, but I'd say that looks like it can be sorted with care. MrDuke tells me that one of the head bolts was far tighter than the rest for some reason, possibly a very short-sighted attempt to cure the problem in the past. In the meantime, the car is not going to be moved at all so those liners don't end up getting out of position before the head goes back on.

Carb was removed and looks okay if a little grubby. You can just see the alternator to the right of the image. A good clean before putting it back on the car will hopefully suffice.
20140207-03.jpg

20140207-04.jpg

The head on the bench. Again, doesn't look too horrible. What oil is there doesn't appear to have big crusty or metallic deposits.
20140207-05.jpg

20140207-06.jpg

Rather than waiting 500 miles for the head gasket to blow, it can be repaired before the car is pressed into service instead.

What this little 6 really wants is one of tim1casa's brand new engines putting in.

It would be a shame if the dashboard can't be saved, it is quite nice looking.

The dashboard isn't as bad as initially feared, it turned out the crumbling was actually a very thick layer of algae or dirt or some other sort of greb so it sounds like it's salvagable happily, the dash is one of the best design features on this little car. I doubt I can go to the expense of a whole new engine, and call me odd but I like to rebuild and make use of what I've got whenever possible. Speaking of...

After some more information, I have a preliminary list to sort through for the engine on the 6.
Head gasket kit - bought!
Liner locking tool - offered!
Water pump - crusty and rusty, to be replaced
Timing belt - crumbled to bits, needs to be replaced. Doing the head we'd replace it anyway.
Fan belt - NOS provided with the car
Oil - to change
Oil filter - to replace

The water in the bores was due to the engine not being drained when the head was lifted. The bores have since been cleared of water and will be allowed to marinate in oil of some sort once the liners are locked in place so that they can free off. While the head is off the car, it will be fully cleaned and rebuilt before going back on once the pistons are no longer seized and we know that the head is in good health. Since it appears the head hasn't actually blown the gasket there's a good chance there's no need to correct any warping with a skim, which is reassuring.

One strange thing that is still being investigated is some water ingress. When the car was collected there was water in the driver's footwell, presumably from the window being left open. It has since been mopped out and the car left sealed up but the water reappeared again when it wasn't raining and after the head was removed and we're not yet sure how or where the water has come from. My initial thought is that the heater matrix could be at fault or as MrDuke pointed out it could be from a partially blocked drain hole somewhere that allowed water to overflow into the wrong place as the car dries out and drains. We're not sure, but suggestions on where to look are welcome.

I'd have thought this would be back on the road by now :-)

Are you going to fully restore her? Or are you going to just get her back on the road?

Initially just aiming to get road legal, mid-May is my target there. Eventually I hope to fully restore. Providing I get on with the 6 - and there's no reason I shouldn't - I'm hoping I've found my two keeper-cars in this and the beige Princess I currently own.

Head gasket set arrived recently so that will be getting posted off to Wales so the Caretaker can put the engine back together and I'll hopefully have a pair of front wings with me this weekend that I'll tidy up ready to go on the car either when I get myself to Wales or when I get the car back here.

Stroke of luck in the form of two NOS Renault wings for free. Delightful chap that gave them to me wouldn't accept any cash for them. They just need a repaint and can then be refitted to replace the tatty and dented wings on the car at the moment.

20140215-01.jpg

20140215-02.jpg

20140215-03.jpg

All has been quiet on this one, I do apologise. The untimely death of my mother, followed by a house move and being unable to contact the chap looking after the 6 means I've been unable to progress further. As and when there is an update I'll inform you all, but for now there's nothing doing.

There is some French activity in my life though in the form of my big stupid Citroen of much brilliance. Not too shabby for a 17 year old diesel estate car.
20141004-08.jpg

Back