Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

CV Joint..Can I do it my self with basic tools? Drive shaft Change Photos

Others please chip in but looking again at your photo 1 and 2 seem oversize and look like a mod. There should be 3 small bolts holding a plate that supports the bearing (complete with rubber gaiter/ring) at the positions 1 and 2 looks like you have an extra large one in the group of three at each end (positions 1&2)

Hi Mr Reno.......Nyloc nut is what sits underneath the rubber thing. The rubber ring thing is black thing that is squidgy and looks like a rubber inflatable ring that sits above the nylock nut?

More to the point ...what is a ball joint breaker???

Nor another special tool I will have to buy....gulp

Hi Jon

Mod? I guess you mean modern assembly...(mmmm nice). Itf they are modern will it make any difference?.

On your advice I have bought a joint splitter (£9.64 from ebay.uk plus postage £3.20 or I could buy one here in France at a price of €39 + postage!!!!!)

I also went to Lidl to buy some pasta but came back with a Hydrolic car lifting jack!

I think with all this im ready.

I am waiting for the new drive shaft, oil seals, 10mm socket for transmission oil pan drainage and the splitter.

Will i need any special grease?

Cheers

Sprackers

No disrespect intended but you may struggle with this job have a look at YouTube for inspiration as ball joint breakers are used on most cars if you have bought the tapered fork type you will wreck black squidgy dust covers as well
Is there really not a tame mechanic locally who would do this for beer money as if you disable car at your house you may regret it

Hi Sprackers, this is how to loosen a ball joint. If it's rusted together, it will need a bit of persuasion with a hammer. Do not hit the bolt that protrudes as you'll ruin the threads. Hit what it goes through, a few times and then try the ball joint splitter again.

DSCF6491.JPG

I hear you Mr Reno but around here as soon as i open my gob and they realise im English the price triples.

I am determined to do it. and I can take loads of photos doing it, including all the problems, it may help others.

Hi Mojo Baby great photo. I have bought a splitter just like that.

Question is it worth replaceing the black sqidgy dust rubber bit? mine look alittle better thatn yours.

Mine look like yours.

Rubber dust covers will only need replacing if they are split you can buy universal ones from ebay i have got a selection packet and normally something will fit
they are an mot failure in england but no idea what happens on french test
i suspect in the time i have been typing the messages to you i would actually have been able to complete the job but then i have been doing Cars for 40 years
the biggest problem with the following the workshop manual is they were all written when the cars were new and you didn't have to worry about rusty bolts etc
Good luck

Anyone know what size the dust cover boots are?

here are the options on ebay:

13 X 28
13 X 33.5
15 X 30
18 X 40.5
19 X 28
10 X 25

I think these measurements are top and bottom diameters. Diameters of teh apertures I think.

If anyone know great.

If the black "squidgy" bit is split you may as well replace the track rod end with a new one anyway! Once you've split the joint it's easy to unscrew the track rod end from the steering rod (although judicial use of heat may help.) Make a note of how many turns it takes to remove it & then you'll know roughly how many turns will put the new one into the right place.

While I typed all that out another email notification came in lol
Last post from me now for the minute genuine renault and aftermarket track rod ends are not always same size covers hence I nought a big packet it is almost impossible to reuse metal clip holding dust cover on I always use a slightly smaller rubber o ring as a retaining clip

Ok I will measure if I can and guesstimate. They are only £1.49 each so If I get the wrong size I will have some for sale hahahaha.

Whilst talking there was a knock on the door.

The (first) new drive shaft hsa just turned up.

Looks ok.

• 2015-03-20 10.05.46.jpg
    2015-03-20 10.05.46.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2015-03-20 10.08.05.jpg
    2015-03-20 10.08.05.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2015-03-20 10.09.28.jpg
    2015-03-20 10.09.28.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 5
That new shaft is looking really GOOD! Can you send me a link to supplier ?

Lots of useful information here, I'm going to have to change a dodgy driveshaft on Felicia very soon as it's started making a knocking noise under load.

I ought to take the opportunity to change those gearbox oil seals that have ALWAYS leaked and make a mess in my driveway.

Another little tip. After a week of driving and changing the oils seals they still leaked a little. Easly recitified.
The differential housing just needed tightenning a little more.
I undid the little holding clip at the top of the differential. This is the clip that stops it undoing itself.
Undo it and then get a flat head long screwdriver and put it into one of the grooves on the differential housing and tap it to tighten it up. I tapped it three or four times and it moved about 1cm - 2cm tighter.
Then replace the holding clip and voila. No more leak

Excellent ! When I first bought Womble he had a small leak there and feeling a little insecure with doing myself at the time they quoted £150+ vat!

So £150 + VAT saved. Thats 4 new spark plugs and an oil change for Womble and 4 cases of strong German beer for you and still have change.

Keeerrrching.

Back