Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

CV Joint..Can I do it my self with basic tools? Drive shaft Change Photos

Depends on type of noise if it is knocking under load cornering
I would test by getting a pair of mole grips and locking them onto shaft metal part about half way for access then rocking grips up and down will produce a knocking noise
There will be a small amount of play on a quiet shaft and lots on a noisy one
However if there are strange moaning noises or squeaking when driving this indicates lack of grease and won't show any play
Most times repacking joint with grease will cure this replacing gaiter if necessary

Yes it's a knocking under load and louder when turning to the left - but I'm not sure if that implicates the left or right shaft! I will try your mole grips method tomorrow.

Two things that might help locate which side:

1. One get on your back under the car and grab the drive shaft strongly in the middle (wear a rubber glove they will be filthy) then try and wiggle (hard) the drive shaft..left, right, up down all around, mainly back and forth from the back of the car to the front of the car.

It might give you and idea if its loose or moves around a bit. Mine did move a little the new ones dont at all.

1. Test it under load.
I found an uphill road with a small roundarebout at the top in a small village in France.

There was no one about not even a dog. No cars nothing.

I stopped the car 10 yards below the rounderbout and from there I started the car and in 1st (it was a steep hill) then went around the rounderbout (all uphill) anti clockwise. full lock.

There was a clonk clonk clonk form the righ hand side.

I then returned to my starting position and went round the rounderbout Clockwise. full lock.

I was listening to the front left side of the car. There was no clonk clonk clonk. maybe a very slight noise but nothing like the right hand side.

It was so much under load and turning uphill (both ways) the clonk clonk clonk was very clear which side it came from. I mean very clear no doubt whatsoever.

If its still not clear Then maybe its both at the same time, and you will need to change both.:o

Just need to find an uphill left turn and an uphill right turn with no-one on them.

Good luck.

Usually, when the noise is heard at left hand turns, the fault lies at the right hand driveshaft, because it has to rotate twice as fast than the left one (to cover a longer arc length) and vice versa.

Paul's trick with the mole grips can confirm this (by comparing play with the opposite side driveshaft). Try feeling for play at various wheel angles. Worn driveshafts tend to have play even at full lock.

Back