Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Electronic Ignition

I have read of at least one of that type electronic points & condenser-replacer failing in use - and when they fail, you stop. Points at least can be fiddled with if they start playing up? Call me old-fashioned!

Good point AdamWilkes!

That is why you always bring oldfashioned points, condenser, filler gauge and screwdriver so you can replace (and throw away) electronic points.
They are not bigger than cigarette box. Aldo i do not use them, cigarette or electronic point (jet):whistle:

R4 driver should always be prepared and manage to fix his R4 on the road :D

There's a lot to be said for modern electronic systems but I worry that Aldon Automotive (and all other after-market electronics designers/producers for that matter) are handicapped in that they don't have years of time to work every scenario through, or mega euro's of cash to endurance-test their gear for as long as most car manufacturers can.
I can see that magnet/plastic fragility plus lots of differential expansion from heating/cooling could be a design problem when a friction-fit on the dizzy shaft is needed. Maybe worth looking out out for clever design/thought in this area when seeking other electronic distributor devices - like a flat spring or rubber donut up the shaft to take up differences in expansion, perhaps.
Ho hum - sorry Paul, for once I wish my worry about the points replacement had been wrong !

On the other hand I know you must be upset with your breakdown Paul, but other members have had good success with Aldon. Please be very careful not to use this forum to name and shame. It will piss me off if you do that and I can scratch pretty bad! (I'm the admin by the way)

Well Malcolm I would hate you to be pissed off but my wife and I were stranded by the side of a dual carriageway for three hours until we were recovered. My explanation that replacement of the electronic ignition with points was ignored, and after days and days of waiting, a hefty and unnecessary bill. I am sorry if that pissed you off! I just tell is as it happened.

Hi Paul, it's time for me to look at electronic ignition, are you still running the Aldon ? and how's it going with it ?

Hi Paul, it's time for me to look at electronic ignition, are you still running the Aldon ? and how's it going with it ?
In addition tot Richnd's question I'm curious at the experiences from other members here and their choice for an electronic ignition device.
As of devices we have:
1) The almighty 123-ignition (£255,=)
2) The Aldon EP141 (£115,=)
3) The one from ignitioncarpart.co.uk (from £50,= to £100,=)
and
4) The Lotus S2 from accu spark electronic ignition advertised by Petak (£35,=)

I'm sure it will improve performance but maybe I'm still a bit to old-fashioned and will stick to breaker point and condensor (the almighty R5 AT and GTT up to 200+BHP didn't had any of those electronic gadgets :laughing:)

Regards, Joop

Be patient guys just little bit more.

I have put (finally) electronic ignition (AccuSpark) in my R4 some 500km ago.
Will put whole photo-story how to install that small device into dizzy.
But need to find some evening time to do so.

I did not see any big advantage by putting this accuspark in.

For sure it is much easier to start engine cold or hot.
And it looks to me like it revs up easier than with pints.
Consumption for now is about the same. (really not so much km done)
For sure best thing is that there is no points wear and no adjustment needed.

Great thing about this accuspark is that you do not cut anything just replacing points and cond with device.
For test faze i am holding old parts in car. You can easily switch back to points any time you need.
Only big thing changed is timing.
When putting accuspark in dizzy you must adjust timing again as position when spark is fired is moved.
I have marked 7° on dizzy housing for points and for accuspark so it is possible to adjust it on roadside without stroblight.

Accuspark is so cheep that it is not big deal if is not working as you imagined.

It would be much bigger issue is you pay 300€ for 123 and it does not work as you like.

Thanks Both, my thoughts are the same as yours Joop - do I really need to spend more than £35 ? go with the accu spark and see what happens, I am happy with staying with points but my cars become a real chore to start from cold, it never used to be until I change the points and adjusted the timing so I really want an easy life, be hassle free and put in something that will just work.

accu spark seems to be the next steps..

Keep us informed please! A relatively cheap option that is fairly quick to change back to points sounds good.

I am a strong believer in the 123 ignition. I have one in my F6 and it does very well.
The thing with al the cheaper systems is that you have to put them in an ignition tower that is most of the time worn out by many kilometers of intensive use.

Good thing about any electronic ignition is that you get the same spark all the time and starting is a lot better.

Be patient guys just little bit more.

I have put (finally) electronic ignition (AccuSpark) in my R4 some 500km ago.
Will put whole photo-story how to install that small device into dizzy.
But need to find some evening time to do so.

I did not see any big advantage by putting this accuspark in.

For sure it is much easier to start engine cold or hot.
And it looks to me like it revs up easier than with pints.
Consumption for now is about the same. (really not so much km done)
For sure best thing is that there is no points wear and no adjustment needed.

Great thing about this accuspark is that you do not cut anything just replacing points and cond with device.
For test faze i am holding old parts in car. You can easily switch back to points any time you need.
Only big thing changed is timing.
When putting accuspark in dizzy you must adjust timing again as position when spark is fired is moved.
I have marked 7° on dizzy housing for points and for accuspark so it is possible to adjust it on roadside without stroblight.

Accuspark is so cheep that it is not big deal if is not working as you imagined.

It would be much bigger issue is you pay 300€ for 123 and it does not work as you like.

hello petak my r4 its similar to yours its a slovenian build from 91 with 688 engine and a ducillier distributor what about your expirience with that kit?
Im interested in one for mine is it easy to fit?
does it works like the expected? did you had any truoble?
thank you

I have just look at my R4 log book.
And it says following
Installed accuspark kit in 09/2017 with 190400 km on clock
Today is 03/2018 with 197800km on clock

So i made 7400km in 7 months without any problem

Only thing i had to adjust after i have installed kit is rotor arm.
First rotor arm was siting little bit to high and pin on rotor arm was touching pins on cap and grinded pins on cap little bit
After i have pressed rotor arm little bit more into dizzy did not have any problems with this kit.

Starts easily and drives smoothly (better than with points), fuel consumption did not changer much compared to points set up.

For me this kit is doing job nicely and cheaply and i would recommend it to everyone.
I only can imagine how whole electronic dizzy is working (something like 1-2-3)

ok i will order one to mine thank you
do you know about strob pistols? to adjust the timing? i need one looking for advise where to buy a good one
my rotr looks like this is this similar to yours?

• P_20180308_163307.jpg
    P_20180308_163307.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
It looks like it is same.

I have old strob light and it works fine. can not read rpms or anything else but just flash light. Good enough for setting timing correct.

Back