Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Road trip 2011 - Thenay 50th Anniversary

Keep on welding we will be comming close by Grantham of the way down so could travel together Gary

I should be coming with my family but towing the 4 on a frame on the back of my camper, hopefully with cornish4 following. May have a GTL spare for someone to borrow if i finish it in time...??may even be the pickup

I need to start thinking about what I'm going to do before the trip as well. Major service, probably some tyres, belts and assemble a very comprehensive spares package.

Also, I posted this in the 'stickers' thread but it probably bears posting here too...

Its been mentioned about meeting up and travelling in some sort of convoy from UK. Assuming we get a ferry from Portsmouth, how about meeting up on the seafront at Southsea beforehand. Loads of parking, fresh air and it would allow people to arrive at their own pace.

Just a thought anyway.

were in Penzance so probably sail from plymouth

Portsmouth is the easiest and shortest driving over to Thenay, as far as I can remember.

But if we went Dover Dunkirk (cheapest) or Dover Calais then we could do a slightly long diversion through Paris and then drive down.

We are in for the trip to the 50th anniversary.

We bought the 1968 car that Stuart Delahoy briefly owned and will do a little welding before we go (will start separate thread as I need a welder near Stratford upon Avon), but not too much more as we will retain the cars original 50K mile patina :-)

We hope to visit a friend in Nantes either on the way their or the way back, so need to keep flexible at the moment.

Any recommendations on where to stay for the event ?

Pepper - where are you in Warwickshire ?

Claire

We're right on the Oxfordshire border, and are just about to move a tiny bit further into the county to Fenny Compton.

Good luck finding a welder, they can be pretty difficult, I know a great welder (who mainly does Volkswagens) but is a damm fine welder! he's near Banbury, he's restored a couple of VW campers for my friends which are notorious rot boxes and he's done concours welding jobs for them.

I need a welder near Stratford upon Avon

I have the number of a mobile welder somewhere. I'll dig it out and send it you. He covers all the country although IIRC he's based somewhere near you anyway.

Camping sounds good, perhaps it would be an idea to have 'Clementines Corner' so all of us who are going down or meeting up can spend the evening singing 'koom by yar' around a big roaring fire with some of Ian's finest (very strong) wine and some cheese. LOL

It looks like if everyone makes the effort from January onwards to get ready for Thenay we could have quite a UK representation. I am impressed by the enthusiasim but experience shows you cannot leave these things to the last minute and hope it will be all right on the night.
Hotels ferries and even camping (if not staying on site) are much cheaper if booked well in advance. Also getting the car ready as best one can is worth the effort.
A few years ago we had 13 4CV booked for a trip to Spain many dropped out a couple broke down before the ferry and only 6 made it to the event.
Lets try and make this one a good one for the UK cars.
I also know of one or two other classic renaults that would like to join us 4cv and dauphine.
Gary

Hi there, yes nice to meet up with ggcton and lobster at the NEC. There is camping at Thenay, it cost me €15 for the weekend this year but it's a three day event next year so might be a bit more. Anyway the showers and bogs are fine, and although it's a temporary campsite it does the job :-). I too have one or two jobs to do on the car. Heavy clutch which needs investigating, off-side CV and raise the front a bit. You are right ggcton, a bit of planning and car preparation makes all the difference, and let's hope we all make it to what will be an event not to be missed.

E bay Red 4 gtl

Today i went to look at the gtl on Ebay, I got all fired up just for next july, Well its the worst chassis ive ever seen, the rest of it isnt bad, good interior, centre console with cd player, loads of spare parts, but its scrap ime afraid, worth buying for spares though, nice bloke Andy, Il keep looking - :(

^^^^^^^^^ Reggie, Watch this space.

I will be selling my red 1985/6 GTL very soon to make space for the new project. Mine looks exactly the same as the one on ebay however my chassis is very very good having only had two local lady owner from new, the last being a police lady. It has only covered 80,000 miles and was parked up 6 years ago with a blown head gasket but that is all fixed now and while i was repairing it i fitted a new timing chain, clutch and a new radiator. Michael

Hi there, I've just noticed what that chappy renault4mad has written. I reckon it will take an Englishman to lead him over the boarder into Devon to catch the ferry to France :-) I might be Cornish4 but I ain't a janner, but I do love this county, Gods own country. I have to say I am thinking of Portsmouth too, and joining that convey, but don't tell renault4mad. Unless we can drum up some 4s from down this way for a mini 4L convey and meet up with you all over there. I do know there is a 4 in Dawlish, but there must be more enthusiasts out there! Brian.

OK ime watching, plan today was going cheap, just for july, then selling on, if we get to serious money, it will have to be good to keep. thanks Mike. - :D
^^^^^^^^^ Reggie, Watch this space.

I will be selling my red 1985/6 GTL very soon to make space for the new project. Mine looks exactly the same as the one on ebay however my chassis is very very good having only had two local lady owner from new, the last being a police lady. It has only covered 80,000 miles and was parked up 6 years ago with a blown head gasket but that is all fixed now and while i was repairing it i fitted a new timing chain, clutch and a new radiator. Michael

Back