Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Spanish Vehicles on Ebay

Never been welded for sure but does need some - front wings, possibly top of inner wing. Floor pans sound, boot floor sound. couple of little spots on rear arches. Front chassis web corners. Rear suspension mounts very sound, rear chassis leg at very end was flakey. Its a genuine van, 'Honest' would be how I would describe it. would be an ideal restoration base but I'm looking for something more useable for now.

Hello again,
At the risk of being tagged “Know-it-all-dave”, allow me to offer the following tip if you can see the department I.D. on a vehicle ad on the net that has come-in from France.

The van you viewed yesterday originates from Haute-Saone [70] the end digits in blue on the index plate. January average temperatures -2 to +5*C. So night time must dip below -10* to counter afternoon +14* and balance out. And we all know what council trucks spread when Jack Frost is around. Some French departments are finding it more economical to spray the saline solution as DE; A; and CH have done for years. The latter treatment has a more destructive effect on steel components. Faster moving traffic atomizes the solution as centrifugal forces of the rotating tyres hurl the wet molecules against wheel arches. Vortex completes the dirty deed thus ensuring everything on the underside gets a liberal coating, with plenty of spray in reserve, to cover vehicles following closely behind.

Your spin across to the East Coast yesterday will serve as good experience. No doubt the little van will find a new home and be loved. But when the work is completed, will it be anywhere as good as corrosion-free examples like this one:

http://www.custojusto.pt/lisboa/ligeiros-passageiros/renault-4-1-1gtl-16812147

Good Luck Colin,

Regards,

dave

I'm in the middle of NOVAing, I tried to do the online form but couldn't find an option that sounded like my situation (private purchase abroad without going through a professional dealer or importer, and without originally the intention to import at all). It was difficult but I finally managed to get through on the phone, the chap was super helpful and sent me a paper version of the form. He said just explain the situation in writing on the back of the form and they would work it out. There won't be any import duty to pay because of the 10 year rule.

Do note the important technicality that NOVA has to be submitted 10 working days after arrival to avoid a fine, or failing that 10 days after your "change of intention" which is simply when you decided to keep it in the UK. This rule is explicitly to avoid penalising owners of foreign registered cars that have been in the UK for years, undergoing restoration etc.

Dave

Thanks for that info - I was told it was from Marseilles before viewing.
I'm chasing a few leads at the moment and have two saloons being offered, I still have one of yours in mind but your geographical location is quite remote from me for the time being and I dont know when I could get down that way.
I wouldn't tag someone passing on useful information as Know-All but knowledgable so thanks - its always good to spread knowledge around.

Regards
Colin

I'm in the middle of NOVAing, I tried to do the online form but couldn't find an option that sounded like my situation (private purchase abroad without going through a professional dealer or importer, and without originally the intention to import at all). It was difficult but I finally managed to get through on the phone, the chap was super helpful and sent me a paper version of the form. He said just explain the situation in writing on the back of the form and they would work it out. There won't be any import duty to pay because of the 10 year rule.

Do note the important technicality that NOVA has to be submitted 10 working days after arrival to avoid a fine, or failing that 10 days after your "change of intention" which is simply when you decided to keep it in the UK. This rule is explicitly to avoid penalising owners of foreign registered cars that have been in the UK for years, undergoing restoration etc.
well done Tom...........
you are reaping the rewards of perseverance.
Good Luck !!

Dave

Thanks for that info - I was told it was from Marseilles before viewing.
I'm chasing a few leads at the moment and have two saloons being offered, I still have one of yours in mind but your geographical location is quite remote from me for the time being and I dont know when I could get down that way.
I wouldn't tag someone passing on useful information as Know-All but knowledgable so thanks - its always good to spread knowledge around.

Regards
Colin

Howdy Partner, as they say in these parts,
Your remarks regarding my location are so true.

We have all seen cars equal to my white R4GTL making six grand plus near to the English capitol.

I was offered serious profit on the car 12 hours after buying it in Portugal. He is our neighbour. Spooky thing is, we both worked at Cargolux in Luxembourg Airport at around the same time, BUT NEVER MET !!

But he buys vehicles on a whim, parks them up and lets the weeds do the rest. I wasn’t having that.

Hey !! Why don’t you advertise my white car as if it was physically in Lutonshire, and anything over four grand [less transport cost] we can split down the middle??
regards,
dave

Dave, I wouldn't advertise anything that wasn't physically at my location, its just the way I am about things.
On the other hand, if you wanted to have it transported here, located for sale and viewings then I would maybe consider it subject to details.
That way I save a tank of diesel and a day to view it. Then I make you an offer (way under £4k tho) and reimburse your transport costs (£210 Uship quote) and everyones a winner !

Being more centrally located would open up a potentially larger market but not sure that would necessarily translate into as higher figure as your suggesting.

Yes, it’s all very sad for sellers this far west of our capitol. I rang the ONS in Newport to ask if they had ever produced a graph of the likelihood of selling a used Renault 4 against the seller’s distance from Londonshire. Not specifically for the Renault 4 they replied, but they had been asked to produce one recently for campervans and promptly forwarded their results as an attachment.

As we suspected. It’s as if the Emperor Hadrian built his wall in the wrong place.

But this sword has more than one edge. The cheerless truth is an absence of a winner. Two very clean and desirable R4s available, but separated by hours of motorway miles from deserving new owners. On the upside, both are under cover and dry, and I will not expose either to this British summer that is more foul than I have ever seen in the Algarve on their bleakest winter day.

My ads have caught the eye of many who have gone-on to request that I complete the UK registration process. 3 years ago, it wouldn’t have presented a problem, but for the reasons given in my earlier post, that ain’t gonna happen !

I guess the worst that can occur….. me and her indoors will glide around locally on rare sunny days, triggering kids to laugh and old folk to sigh. Any Renault 4 is bound to turn heads in 2015, but the all-white ones do it better than the brown and white variety, if you know what I mean Harry?

SN858232.JPG

best regards,
dave

"As we suspected. It’s as if the Emperor Hadrian built his wall in the wrong place."
No, but it would seem the M25 is a physical barrier to many who live within its confines.

SN858117.JPG SN858118.JPG

• SN858119.JPG
    SN858119.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 4
  • SN858120.JPG
    SN858120.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 4
  • SN858121.JPG
    SN858121.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 4
  • SN858122.JPG
    SN858122.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 4
  • SN858123.JPG
    SN858123.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 4
  • SN858126.JPG
    SN858126.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 4
Very true,

geography, along with lots of other stuff, is something over which, we have no control.
All I can do is display what I'm offering. I admit to being a trifle envious of those who import scrap, and seem to find a buyer every time.

Both the little cars have now passed the m.o.t. test and I've posted the extra pictures in order that aspiring Renault 4 owners have a benchmark.

There's some horticulture to catch-up on over the remainder of this week, and fortunately, it's the type that weather can't influence,

best regards as always

My initial post has generated a lot of very interesting information.:)

Does nobody want the cars in Portugal? Surely that would be much easier than trying to flog them in another country.
Malcolm, forgive my mischievous nature, and allow me to remind you of the suggestion you made to Mr Jelly on 13th September 2004 [ Introductions > Page 19 > No R4 at the moment ]
Made me chuckle,

best regards

Oooh. Strange. That made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

Why? Well, in a previous life I was Mr Jelly on here (and obviously susbsequently I bought another R4. And then another).

Not long after that post in 2004 I got divorced and shed my Renault collection. R5 Le Car 2 was scrapped, R11 went to an enthusiast in Staffordshire and is still around apparently and as for the Megane CC, well the less said about that the better!

Couple of years later and by way of a flirtation with a tempestuous Alfa Romeo I decided I needed another R4 in my life and the rest as they say is history! New account because of the new and improved me and also I didn't know what my long in details were or how to change user name and all that.

Anyway, on with the show...

That explains a lot Lobster! I was sure I bought a TX engine from you many years ago but it didn't make sense.

Apprentice - I think my grump is the multiple threads advertising your cars, and your additional advertising in unrelated threads. We do have a section for advertising Renault 4s and we don't exclude dealers or ask any money for the adverts, but one thread per car would seem sufficient.

Personally I have brought 4 cars back from France. They tend to be less rusty than UK cars but have all needed a lot of mechanical work and most have needed welding for the MOT. I used one from Spain for spares. I don't think a 2004 suggestion to buy a 12 year old car from a dryer climate was unreasonable.

That explains a lot Lobster! I was sure I bought a TX engine from you many years ago but it didn't make sense.

Apprentice - I think my grump is the multiple threads advertising your cars, and your additional advertising in unrelated threads. We do have a section for advertising Renault 4s and we don't exclude dealers or ask any money for the adverts, but one thread per car would seem sufficient.

Personally I have brought 4 cars back from France. They tend to be less rusty than UK cars but have all needed a lot of mechanical work and most have needed welding for the MOT. I used one from Spain for spares. I don't think a 2004 suggestion to buy a 12 year old car from a dryer climate was unreasonable.
Au contraire mon ami, not unreasonabe in the slightest, fair Comment Malcolm.
I apologise for getting carried away with multiple threads and request that you take-down those that you consider superfluous. Neither of the cars have sold, so please leave one of each of the ads that you believed best illustrate the vehicle's good selling points. thank you.
I can say, without fear of contradiction, I am not a dealer. Officially retired 12th May 2000. My partner and I have a 26 year old Hobby Caravan on the Algarve. €936 annual ground rent. We divide our time equally between Wales and Portugal, two road journeys in each direction. We have to travel by road because of a medial condition ( cerebral Aneurysm ). My master plan was to purchase 2 quality Renault 4s each year, get them back to the UK, and sell for a modest profit to offset some of our travel costs. It made sense to me. After all, the only other option is to remain in wet Wales or scorching hot Portugal.
I'm not overly concerned that neither of our cars have sold. No viewers. Not a single one. But I firmly believe, that the first to see will buy. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I am finding the Renault 4 Fougonettes commanding better prices, even scruffy examples. I'll certainly be on the "lookout" for a nice one when we head south, and hopefully get "her" back in time to make a Christmas Gift for someone,
Thanks and best regards,
Dave

Back