Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Thenay Photos

Still on Thenay

Well i'm not going post Thenay pictures as Berserkgorilla has got them all anyway, so i will let him do that.
Our trip went reasonable well so ,where do i begin, it started with Berserkgorilla's Bertie having no brakes about a month ago ( i brought it back to my house to repair ( a few other things as well ) anyway did the brakes, then engine swap
( thanks Gary, was one from his old white scrap car, so not sure how long it had been standing ) fitted with new gaskets, clutch, drive shaft gaiters, disc's and wheel bearings ( front ) and finished just as he came down for his holiday ( well timed son ) only left me with a short time to get mine done ( not looking good ) anyway with help now we cracked on, head gasket,manifold gasket, bearing in mind this car has been standing for just over 5 years in a garage, so all new ball joints top, bottom,track rod ends, disc's, bearings, calipers, pads and needed welding in the usual places ( two inside front corners ) so had to buy a welder first ( that bought, Sarurday before Thenay ) on we went to try and get it done ( mot booked for Thursday ) cutting it a bit close i thought, so did everything and took it for the mot ? failed no rear brakes ( compensator ? ) so came back change it, still no back brakes
( rear cylinders ? )so fitted new ones, still no back brakes ( master cylinder ?)
changed it ( also new hand brake cables ) YES we have brakes so at 4pm ish on Thursday afternoon raced down to the mot station berserkgorilla stayed with the car while went and changed my insurance and then met with my other son at the post office ( forgot my registration doc's ) and taxed it came out the post office at 4.59pm and leaped in the air and said yes we'er going. phew.
Friday morning started well got to the ferry 11.10 but just missed it so got the next one and off we went Calais, Rouen, Eureuxm, Chartres and Thenay but berserkgorilla's was having slight issue's it stopped in Rouen and would not start ( flat battery so swopped it with mine ) carried on then more issue's started boiling ( well it had'nt been fully tested before we left ) anyway we carried on, stopping when needed as it started to get dark lights on and after a few miles noticed his lights were getting very dim so pulled over ( alternator not charging now ) so swapped batteries so we could get somewhere to camp for the night as we were not going make it to Thenay so parked in a layby and put the tent up, after a night's rest carried on and arrived about 10.30 in Thenay well we made it and it was worth it. i must admit i thought that i was going to be the one dragging his heels with my car but it performed brilliantly there and back nearly 1300 miles and arrived home Monday evening BUT it did'nt stop there had to go to Dundee on Wednesday so off it went again there and back in a day 780 miles no issue's at all so i think we can safely say it been tried and tested ( oh yes off to Plymouth tomorrow ) will it won't it ?
two pictures, village we went through in France and the city of Discovery
( Dundee ).

• village.jpg
    village.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 168
  • dundee.jpg
    dundee.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 168
A short post from me to say it was great to see Team UK and what an amazing event it was. Bob , my brother and co-driver, was really smitten and, I think, fell for the Renault 4. Those in Germany will have a treat of seeing us interviewed by the German Film crew :smile:

The car went amazingly and Derek at Renospeed must take the credit for that, and for giving me the confidence to embark on an 800 mile round trip! In view of earlier discussions I used additive and 97 octane fuel. Please don't tell me I shouldn't. The engine purred and with low consumption I pushed the boat out.

I'm still puzzling over one thing .... 4 plastic wheel nut covers were removed from the back, and two tamperered with... why o why? So I'll be searching the net for spares.

Best wishes to all.

PS Those with access to Renault tv - A great film showing about the Trophy. If only I was 18 again. see http://www.renault.tv/en_GB/enterta...entertainment/videos/1423/4l-trophy-episode-1

PPS For those wondering why we went unplanned via Paris on the way down... yes, it was a mistake. My brain took the road I usually take to Switzerland and we decided to stick to it! Shame about finding the Perifique on a Friday afternoon though.

Mark

• DSC02546.jpg
    DSC02546.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC02562.jpg
    DSC02562.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 145
I had a sneaking suspicion the wheel nut covers might go missing given the number of R4's which probably didn't have them! So I took my plastic hub caps and wheel nut covers off before hand.

Sad to hear yours were messed with, I was hoping I was wrong in thinking that :(

Was a fun trip tho - only problem I had was the glass has just about fallen out of one of my new der franzose headlights - the glue isn't as good as it should be !!!

Mine were on the car at the beginning of the meeting, remained there for all time and are there even now in my box. I do not think they were stolen... A r4 lover knows how you care about your car and your effort to keep it sane and beauty... and there's plenty of r4, it seems, in french scrapyards to cannibalize!

I read about german Interviewers... During the 4L Internationa, I had been intrviewed by a cameraman who ask me questions en english (with a rude accent we can say...). I think it was for a report, but my mistake had been to not ask him for what it was. Now, I tried in vain to find this file... If you have seen it, can you share a link ?

For the story of stolen caps, the 75' Renault 6 TL of a friend had lost his spar wheel, stolen when the car was on the 4L international's field... Strange as idiot.

Bob86600, just looked through your photo album, some great photos on there. thank you for sharing them with us.

Wanted. 4 wheel nut covers. Hey! I was lucky they stopped there and left the nuts! Please pm if you can help. Next year Im smearing them with something unpleasant. Would welcome suggestions he he

i'd add this was the only a blip on a perfect event.

Ps. They were removed Azazello ! I'm not stupid. But let's close this. There are all kinds of odd people. The tampered ones were twisted round, not removed as if interupted.

PLEASE IGNORE - I'M BEING GRUMPY :mad: AND I'M AT FAULT - See further post below
Cest la vie as they say in France.

What an awful thing...
So I'm a lucky man... in my dreaming of brotherhood i left the key on the car for the great part of the time, car always open and the spare wheel barely fixed on the roof track with an elastic net... maybe it was too bad painted with a spray can to be stolen...

PS: I do not think you are stupid, of course... just I did not want to believe such a thing could happen... but there were so a mass of kinds of people, turns out our richness is our weakness too..

STOP PRESS

Azazello - you were right And you have good faith in fellow R4 Mankind. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

More in a moment...

The mystery will be solved!

Continued ...

On examination traces of black plastic were melted onto the bare metal nuts. The remaining two caps were slanted outwards (centrafugal force of the wheel).

Not quite sure how to interpret this but it is certain that the nuts built up heat. On both rear wheels. we cruised at around 70.

Any ideas ?

I'm relieved and must issue a HUGE public apology to the Renault 4 fraternity :o

PS Still need 4 replacement caps if anyone can help, please.

I've put up a like on your Facebook link and I've not been a naughty boy and mentioned your navigation error yet!!! ;)

What's it worth to keep schtumm ????

Thanks Pepper.

My lot use sextants and charts! I'd never live it down! Thanks for liking us :hug:

Something new we are developing. Even an old fogey like me must keep up with the times!

On examination traces of black plastic were melted onto the bare metal nuts. The remaining two caps were slanted outwards (centrafugal force of the wheel).

Not quite sure how to interpret this but it is certain that the nuts built up heat. On both rear wheels. we cruised at around 70.

Any ideas ?

They go even faster when you release the handbrake. Try jacking up the rear wheels to see if they spin freely. If not it's worth a look at the brakes.

Doh! The handbrake!- I was looking under the dashboard for it ;).

So, without friction, plus a tailwind, super 97 petrol, downhill ... Maybe next time 'The Ton' . Just dreaming! :p

Thanks Malcolm. I'll try a wheel spin on Saturday.

I read about german Interviewers... During the 4L Internationa, I had been intrviewed by a cameraman who ask me questions en english (with a rude accent we can say...). I think it was for a report, but my mistake had been to not ask him for what it was. Now, I tried in vain to find this file... If you have seen it, can you share a link ?

Pepper and I were "interviewed" by a very rude German, but he didn't have a camera...

Good to hear that you haven't been robbed Mark. If you do find a source for the caps I'd be interested as I could do with some for mine.

Incidentally (and without going off topic too much) Facebook can be quite a nice way for businesses to communicate. And if anyone wants to 'like' us then its http://www.facebook.com/LobsterDiecast ;)

So obviously due to the camera loss situation I don't have much in the way of photos, only those I took on my phone. So here follows a brief selection of photos of my trip!

Dover-20110715-00027.jpg

Early morning at Dover. I found a convenient spot on the seafront to fit the rally plaque and have a brief check of everything.

Dover-20110715-00028.jpg

Safely onboard Spirit of Britain

After the minor breakdown, Malcom and I stopped at a Leclerc south of Rouen for a snack. This rather nice 2CV was in the car park
IMG-20110715-00029.jpg

Saturday evening saw a lady do a bit of singing
IMG-20110716-00034.jpg

I only noticed there was nobody inside the car after I took this photo...
Thenay-20110716-00030.jpg

Tasty paella
IMG-20110716-00033.jpg

Back across the channel to Dover
IMG-20110717-00040.jpg

Back