Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1977 R4 TL restoration made in France

Snoopy1974

Enthusiast
;) Good evening,

I decided to post another new thread on my second car, a poor 1977 TL bought ofr only 80 € :rolleyes:

At the beginning I didn't know if I would restore it, but after an attentive check-up, it seems to be in good condition...

Different views of the car can be seen in my thread "Is there anyone who can help me to identify my car"...

My first wish is to repair the mechanical parts to have to french MOT and be able to have the "carte grise" with my name, to become the "real" owner of the car.

The first thing I did is to... dismantle all the system brake, the car was totally blocked, and all the different parts were out of service:
031 Passage de roue avant G.jpg
032 Détail frein.jpg
033 Tambour avant démonté.jpg
I had many difficults to access to the 2 bolts of the cylinder, I had to unscrew the flange to have a better access:
034 Dévissage cylindre de roue.jpg
On the other hand, with my special wrench it's very easy to unscrew the brake pipe:
035 Dévissage tuyau de frein.jpg
All the front brakes have been dismantled, I'm going to be able to move my car :)
036 Frein avant G démonté.jpg

Continuing of the story...
Few weeks ago, I started the motor in less of 5 minutes, it didn't start for about 15 years :D:D Unfortunatly the clutch was glued and totally out of order, so I decided in a first time to dismantle the gearbox to access to the clutch system.
066 Démontage boite.jpg
I saw that there was many old oil in the clutche, maybe the seal of the oil pan wasn't in good condition, so I decided... to put the engine out of the car:
072 Sortie moteur.jpg
During the time that all the mechanical components are easy to work on, I started to clean them before fitting them back in the car:
070 Boite sale.jpg
071 Boite nettoyée.jpg
076 Côté gauche avant.jpg
077 Côté gauche après.jpg
Whan I removed all the dirty grease and oil sludge I painted the engine block and gearbox in green with special paint:
DSCF5246.jpg
DSCF5249.jpg
DSCF5250.jpg
DSCF5251.jpg

I'm actually waiting for the new parts ordered today ;)

green? and good hear you were lucky with the engine, and that you have a R4 on its side in your garage

Continuing of the story...
View attachment 5899
Questions concerning ..the engine block and gearbox photo:
- does the thick black electric wires from starter go to battery plus or minus
terminal?
- does the minus wire from coil go to ignition distributor?

(having also a R4 type 1123 from 1977 and all details seem to be vert same, even the battery location)

Can I suggest that you replace the manifold gasket whilst the engine is out of the car? Damn sight easier doing it now as it will be a pig to do when the engine is back in as your car is Left Hand Drive.

Hi ;)

Steve, I'm naturally going to change all the gaskets before putting the engine in the car, inclued the manifold one.

orsome, the thick black electric wires from starter do go to battery plus.

Concerning the second question I'm going to see and I will answer to you as soon as possible.

electric wiring mess

Hi ;)

orsome, the thick black electric wires from starter do go to battery plus.
-great, thanks snoopy
- my problem is, even i do have a german R4 book with wiring diagrams, is that i did remove wirings on 1992 and don't remember where to connect them and the german book refers wrong colour of wires(diam are quite OK).
- this far i ha succeeded to ligtht up the dasboard general ligth, indicator lamp for headligths, and after observating that fusebox was totally empty, after filling it with fuse the oil pressure indicator ligthed up!
- i had also tremendous problems with keys and ignition lock, because the one and only key found(this far) did not turn.I had a new one made by local mister minit key maker and had luck that he still had a such "blank" on his wall

Concerning the second question I'm going to see and I will answer to you as soon as possible.
- waiting for it!

Good evening,

yesterday I bought the first new parts...
104 Pièces neuves.jpg
And today I got back the parts which have been epoxy coated:
105 Thermolaquage.jpg
Look at these beautiful rims, absolutly NEW :D :D
DSCF5311.jpg
And with the hub in place... waouhhh :hug:
DSCF5309.jpg
It was so hard to wait for a minute, I immediatly started the fitting of the differents parts, first of all the manifold and carburettor; the manifold wich has been zinc plated, has been washed with air to take off the dust and sand inside:
106 Moteur avant accessoires.jpg
093 Collecteur zingué.jpg
107 Carburateur remonté.jpg
Then the valve cover...
108 Fixation cache-culbuteurs.jpg

• 112 Carter et joint.jpg
    112 Carter et joint.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 931
  • 116 Moteur étanche.jpg
    116 Moteur étanche.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 920
Is the Collared Dove a pet? Or just a bird with excellent taste?

Great work on the car, thanks for posting the pictures.

Hi and happy new year to all,

no, I didn't find new cylinder head bolts, I didn't touch these ones, concerning the timing chain I naturally checked it before fitting the painted cover.

And finally... my friend Snoopy died in august 2011, so this dove is actually my new mascot before finding another dog... maybe.. I'm still very sad :cry: :cry: :cry:
008 C'est pratique une 4L.jpg
Automne_2010_146.jpg
4L passageon.jpg

R.I.P Snoopy

its nice to see another abused R4 (a whole Honda CB400N Superdream Motorbike and a half in back of mine once)

Sorry to hear about Snoopy, althou some of the pictures you have of him(?) are great, could he map read?

Good evening to all of you ;)

here are the lastest news of my TL, the engine and gearbox have been finished with all their accessories, new clutch, belts, and so on:
125 Ensemble moteur-boite.jpg
Then, they have been refitted in the engine bay:
130 Moteur nu.jpg
Compare the "before" and "after", nice isn't it ??
012 Compartiment moteur.jpg
139 Compartiment moteur.jpg
The front and rear brakes are now new:
DSCF5353.jpg
DSCF5365.jpg
BUT... I have a big problem: this connector on the left side is extremely hard to access and it's impossible to unscrew with all the spanners I have, is anybody here has an idea for me ??
DSCF5366.jpg
Thanks you :cool:

take alook at my problems

Good evening to all of you ;)

here are the lastest news of my TL, the engine and gearbox have been finished with all their accessories, new clutch, belts, and so on.

Hi Snoopy, you are really proceeding with yr 77'

i wonder if you could help me further with my 77 electric wiring questions, pls take a look at my message under forum/R4 technical help and tips- pls send a photo of your fuse box open and if possible scanned copy of the 77-car manual(i've lost mine) especially the wiring description.

Any help would be higly appreciated

BUT... I have a big problem: this connector on the left side is extremely hard to access and it's impossible to unscrew with all the spanners I have, is anybody here has an idea for me ??

This one always needs a lot of patience (and swearing...:-D). I use a short 10mm combination wrench. Alternatively try disconnecting the limiter valve inlet pipe (the one that comes from the master cylinder), this usually gives a little more space to use an ordinary brake pipe union wrench.

edit...just saw it's the copper pipe from the limiter valve. Be aware because more often than not, the union nut seizes on the pipe. To avoid twisting the pipe (and breaking it), undo the flexible hose from the other end, remove the metal clip and undo the flexible hose by turning it and holding the copper pipe/union nut still.

;) Hi,

Angel, I'm ashamed... I left the old brake hose at its place, I'll change it when the car will be completly restored and the body removed, I tried all the possible ways to disconnect it, I sacrificied an old 12 sides 10mm spanner to make a brake pipe spanner (mine was 6 sides and not easy to use...), but even with this new tool it was impossible !...

orsome here is the picture of the fuse box opened:
DSCF5368.jpg
And the wiring which is connected from the coil to the ignition distributor (sorry the picture is blurred) :(
DSCF5369.jpg
I have no scanner so i't very difficult to give you what you need, but I do have this book:
DSCF5371.jpg
If you give me your adress and what you need exactly, and... if you can read french langage :D I will be happy to help you sending to you photocopies.

Actually there are 4, or 3,5 cars in my garage: my Seven replica, the châssis of my grey GTL, the body on its right side, and finally my little 77. I'm going to prepare it for the french MOT, I hope it will be quiclky done... :rolleyes:
DSCF5362.jpg

;) Hi,

the picture of the fuse box opened:
** a question-in the middle i noticed one fuse pointing head out of fusebox-is that just to place a spare fuse or what?
**connections/cable end colours seem to macth wit mine-OK

..what you need exactly, and... if you can read french langage :D I will be happy to help you sending to you photocopies.
**'I'll come back this issue, first of all electric wiring scheme's would be nice
**french language is not a problem, my adult daughter has been studying it

Many Thanks!

ps snoopy, to deligth you up i'll enclose here my/our "black helper" in garage

• valokuvia plattling 24.5.2007 095.jpg
    valokuvia plattling 24.5.2007 095.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 418
Back