Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1984 R4 F4 Van

looking good but take your time otherwise you'll run out of things to do :)

mmmm that's how it starts then you can't stop, i'm trying to reduce mine but others keep coming along.

mmmm that's how it starts then you can't stop, i'm trying to reduce mine but others keep coming along.
Please remember I have a 1975 Lancia Fulvia Series 3, a 1973Hillman Imp and a 1960 Hillman Husky series 2 to play with as well. Lots of work to do on the Husky still.

Ahh a man after my own heart, just keeps going and does'nt know when to stop. :clapping:

Keeps all you retired types minds active stops you playing golf and drinking in the pub

With much knuckle scrapes and some bad words eventually got the flexible oil pressure system in place. My fingers needed to be about 50mm longer!!
Another item off the list.
Vacuum gauge next.

Having got a suitable reducer, 5 to 4mm, vacuum gauge is now fully operational. Dead centre on 'Idle' segment at tickover. Well pleased with that.:)

Removed expansion bottle and spent next hour cleaning all the crud out of it as best I could. Replaced 8mm hose with new and another little job off the list.

Just radio item to wire in now.

Trick for cleaning plastic bottle is toilet cleaner then half fill with warm water and using a handful of nuts bolts and washers and self tapping screws shake vigorously in a a rotary movement
Rinse and repeat
Of course make sure lid is on and tie a knot in rubber hose

Your f4 looks great Tom, and I loveeee the seats.... Must get some like that.

Warm water and dishsoap, alcool and Thinner (mixed with raw rice and shaked every time) in my expansion bottle. ... several passages, worked quite well.

The crud in the expansion bottle generally seems to also be distributed around the coolant circuit. When I change the fluids I like to attach a hosepipe to one end and flush it all out.

I recently de-crudded my Citroen's cooling system and found a reverse flush helped shift everything out. I also used a little clothes washing liquid (Ariel non-bio, I think...) which shifted even more muck. I rinsed it out for ages and added the mixture using distilled water and pink anti-freeze (50%/50%) and after bleeding the system I've a car with a heater I could fry eggs with and an engine that runs much more happliy! Good luck with your cooling experiments!

I am proposing a full cooling system de-crud in the very near future.
Thanks for the comments.

And I was going to put my expansion bottle in the dishwasher!

Shaken not stirred ...said Bond

Few miles added to the clock but no further work undertaken.
Minor electrical second fix to do.
All quiet with this vehcle.
Hillman Imp now sold so one less to worry about.
Need to get stuck in to the Husky!!

Back