Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

and another question on electronic ignition...

barry

Enthusiast
I see many references to various electronic ignition kits, and varying opinions on them.
Has anyone used/have an opinion on the Satel electronic spark device that retains the points etc?

Not tried it but it looks a bit pricey compared to the likes of Sparkrite and Gammatronix, I am looking to use one of these as no under the cap unit is available for my distributor.

Not tried it but it looks a bit pricey compared to the likes of Sparkrite and Gammatronix, I am looking to use one of these as no under the cap unit is available for my distributor.
Thanks. Will look up the 2 others you mention.

you may want to check out this one as well - MGL Solid State Electronic Ignition (GrandLaurent Module) .

the MGL and gammatronix look much alike. Same thing in different coat maybe...
Either way, both they and the Sparkrite are, as you pointed out, much much cheaper than the Satel.
Do you get what you pay for - or is the Satel grossly overpriced? hhmmm. I wonder.
Have you decided which to use?

Probably the Sparkrite SX4000 as you can leave the condenser in place and revert back to original settings at the flick of a switch, Sparkrite have been making electronic ignition units for years i recall fitting one to a car over 30 years ago although the unit was much larger then. Keep us informed on what you decide, there was a recent post on here on someone who fitted a Gammatronix and there is a you tube video on fitting an MGL to a Renault 4. I will not order and fit mine until i get back to my R4 in France in April.

Unfortunately they do not do a kit for the Femsa distributor which ruled it out for me

Hello Barry,
Just fitted a Gammatronix to my Femsa distributor ...yesterday. There are some other tuning bits still to sort out but the motor does seem to be running more sweetly.
Simon.

Good to know that the Gammatronix system system seems to work well with the Femsa dizzy, TBH was looking at Andy’s recent post in parts for sale for carb and dizzy ( lebacoin ad) to go down the Accuspark route, your feedback makes choices for myself a lot simpler!

I have used a model recommended by Steve on this forum - http://boyerbransden.com/ - for nearly 5 years and with great results. The same unit has worked with 1104\34cv, 1104\45cv and 1400TS motors, all in my R4.

Thank you all for your feedback/suggestions. Unfortunately I’m spoilt for choice now...
Incidentally I have a Ducellier dizzy, so presumably could fit one of the systems that replaces the points altogther. However I was looking at the points assisted type from the ease of fitment/easy reversion viewpoint.
Now I really could with someone making up my mind for me.....
....but seriously, does the points replacement system have any truly significant advantage over the simple external box units?
(Also, I can see the appeal of the 123 complete system as mentioned by Harbourseal - but can’t afford to lose any arms or legs - so that’s out...)

Well as the saying goes 'you pays your money and makes your choice' getting rid of points heel wear and replacing with an electronic trigger makes some sense but there again the points are doing far less work and a little bit of grease on the heel once a year is hardly onerous. For appearance i would go for the in dizzie type, however, for ease of switch over in case of an, albeit unlikely, fault in the electronic box the external units win hands down. All have their followers but the unanimous opinion is that it is worth fitting an electronic unit of some type. Let us know what you opt for and why.

From personal experience on various different engines with the Accuspark system it really has been a case of ‘ fit and forget ‘, the main reason for toying with the idea of fitting a Ducellier distributor in place of the Femsa in mine was to continue to use something that from past experience had really done what it says on the label at a reasonable cost ( @£40, the cost of two sets of points and two condensers) and is hidden, from what I’ve read on this forum when fitted the Accuspark system seems to be doing the same here, that said its only my tuppence worth of opinion.

I was afraid to change points and cond. with electronic ignition because my car was working nice on points.
Could not find any reason to change to electronic ignition except curiosity but prices of such devices was to much for me (especially 123 ignition)

Then i have found accuspark for reasonable price and decide to try it.

One reason more draw me to it. You do not need to cut anything. Just remove points and cond.
If anything goes wrong with accuspark you can switch back to points and cond in 10-15min time. (If you have basic tools with you)
When i go for longer drive points and cond are with me.
Aldo i have bought another accuspark set so i can change any part of set that is inside my dizzy

Car revs up little bit easier with it and you can feel that. Especially around critical speeds 70-90km/h where you drive most time.

Only problem is that fit just in ducellier dizzy

Well as the saying goes 'you pays your money and makes your choice' getting rid of points heel wear and replacing with an electronic trigger makes some sense but there again the points are doing far less work and a little bit of grease on the heel once a year is hardly onerous. For appearance i would go for the in dizzie type, however, for ease of switch over in case of an, albeit unlikely, fault in the electronic box the external units win hands down. All have their followers but the unanimous opinion is that it is worth fitting an electronic unit of some type. Let us know what you opt for and why.

Well Bruce, thank you for a very balanced and useful response. Incidentally I’ve asked the folk in UK who market the Satel to convince me that it’s worth around 3 times the price of similar offerings from Accuspark, Gammatronix and B. Brandsen. (The only other unit I’ve found in Satel’s price range is the Ultra 6060 from Japan)
Anyway - as requested, when I’m done procrastinating I’ll let you know the result!

Decision made! Have dismissed the Satel as i’ve had no response from the UK marketing folk after 3 days.
So of the 3 remaining options have decided on B. Bransden’s kit 069 at £42 incl postage direct from them.
5 yr guarantee, static timing light incorporated. I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with the other 2 - experience stated on the forum indicates that - but in addition to the guarantee and timing benefits I’ve also just got a gut feeling for BB. Perhaps almost sentimental in nature.... (no tears please!)

Back