Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gordini Head Gasket and Investigation

Thanks for the support. :hug:

Plugged an airline into the radiator expansion hose today and found the water is all coming out at the rear of the rear main bearing - possibly from the timing chain. Suppose if I pull the main bearing it might give a bit more of a clue.

PS - it is possible to pull the sump with the engine in situ if the back of the engine is lifted a bit. Don't fancy my chances of getting it back on though.

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 77
Decided to leave the air line plugged in until all the water came out reasoning this ought to tell me the level of the leak. Didn't get a lot of water out, and the level of the remaining water is just over halfway up the head.

Will probably have it crack tested just to be sure, but has anyone got a spare 5G head?

Found it. Not a small crack either - stretches from one side of the head to the other.

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 80
Glad that you've found the problem, Malcolm. Hope you can find a new head - or can you get it repaired?

It is a relief to have found the problem - I'd lost all confidence with engine rebuilding.

Not sure if it is repairable - it is 6 inches long and continues down the pushrod gallery where accessibility is poor. Though I've never had a head crack before - anyone else have thoughts?

Will try some phoning around to see if anyone has a spare head. Any offers or suggestions about who to contact much appreciated.

Phew - never seen one as bad as this. I assume that it must have been like this for some time.
Looks like you won't need to remove the engine again which must come as some relief - I really think that a repair job isn't possible so I'm sure that there will be another head floating around somewhere - thought you had a spare one. In any event I'm sure you'll consider getting the replacement head crack tested before you do anything else

Crack testing could have saved a bit of time and money first time around. I have a feeling the crack was always there and I took it as a casting mark. :oops: Surprised the engine building folk didn't pick up on it.

Had another look at my spare head today but it's been left outside in the rain for too long in the past and the valve seats have rotten away damaging the aluminium. New head needed.

On the up side - I didn't notice any bong bong noises during the short run :D

Malcolm! there's at least 1 R5Alpine head on leboncoin at 80EURO right now..
search: Culasse de R5 alpine.... -R.

Thanks, I've sent an email in my best French to the seller of R5G heads on Leboncoin. I'm fairly sure it was almost understandable French but there's always the risk that I've accidentally suggested I want to make love with his wife.

Is it an auction site or can you just buy stuff? My French really is that bad.

I'll try to refit the sump tomorrow and pump some new oil around with the starter motor. Hate having the mayonnaise in the bearings.

feeling your pain sitting here reading about all this
i will be working in mr G s famous barn today so if you contact me on my mobile i can see whats about as there are loads of heads about but remember atmo head and turbo is different CR

Might be a crazy idea, but could you use a turbo head and have it skimmed to give a nice sensible 9 to 1 Compression ratio?

It seems the R5 turbo engine heads can be skimmed down to suit the R5 atmo engine, though the crazy high compression ratio in the atmo doesn't seem to cause any trouble in my limited experience of driving one.

Mr-Reno has brokered a swap for me. Haven't got hold of Mr G yet - tomorrow morning.

In the meantime I've put the sump back on, filled the engine with new oil and pumped it around on the starter to get rid of the nasty stuff.

In the meantime I've put the sump back on, filled the engine with new oil and pumped it around on the starter to get rid of the nasty stuff.
i do hope you had the liners clamped down :)
by the way mr G told me has got a set of new gordini pistons and liners you could of bought for £250 oh and standard valves, gaskets etc

Don't worry Paul, the head is still in place (though I've drained all of the water out).

Prices don't seem too bad at mecaparts.com Vedran - £294 euros plus tax for a set of liners, pistons, rings and gudgen pins.

Planning a visit to see Paul and Mr G next week. I'll finally get a peek inside the barn. :D Won't be able to take photos - need to sign a strict confidentiality agreement in blood before they'll let me in.

One other worry I have - according to Haynes the rocker shaft oil inlet is at the rear of the head (timing chain end). I got a bit mixed up but felt it might have been at the front (flywheel end). Anyone know for sure? I've gone with Haynes against my better judgement but there's no oil weeping from the rockers like there was last time I tested just on the starter. (Can ask next week or phone people so no worries if nobody knows for sure).

this thread has gone very quiet ?
are you only going to post when you get it all to work:)
will it be running b4 the bbq ?

Back