Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gordini Head Gasket and Investigation

I took the new head in to the machine shop for a check up, but they've been busy and still haven't done anything with it. Hoping to have it going in time for the BBQ.

I'm not having a lot of luck with heads at the moment - the MGA has sprung a big oil leak from the rear of it's head. That's a full set of heads apart from the car I have 20 spare gaskets for. :D

Fingers crossed for you Malcolm!
Looking forward to seeing it in action at the 'R4BQ'

Sorry to hear about the MGA too.

The engine shop were busy (holidays) but I finally got the head back yesterday. It was a bit corroded and needed new valves and seats and a light skim. But it passed a pressure check and looks immaculately clean now (shame you can't see it on the car).

Started up the engine for 30 seconds and it seemed to work. I got most of the water out of the oil when I had the sump off, but there's a bit more to get rid of. I'll mix it in and do another oil change, then fingers crossed.... :D

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 119
  • engine-test.jpg
    engine-test.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 122
All seems well so far - I got the engine up to temperature this morning and changed the oil. The new oil hasn't gone white. Back on the road...

...for a mile. Big lorry threw a stone up which broke the windscreen on my first test drive.

You've got a lot of back luch=k with newly restored cars and their first rides! Ermintrude also took a direct hit right after the restoration right? Well, a windscreen is easy to replace luckily. Good luck!

That's a good point - she might be easing her way in with little troubles in order to avoid a big disaster. The old girl is looking after me :D My insurance covers windscreens so I ought to have that sorted this week. There are a few bits and pieces I want to finish in the meantime.

Great news about the engine - less so about the windscreen but, as you say, it could have been worse...
Looking forward to seeing it at the BBQ!

I'm pleased to hear that it's now okay. Bet you had some stomach churning moments until it reached full temperaure!!
Get it finished and then mothball it in case something else happens to it;)

If the windscreen fitters have difficulty in sourcing a new screen, I have a new genuine one in stock!

Thanks Steve, I've just been on the phone to Autoglass and they can fit a new screen tomorrow.

I might take the opportunity to remove the dash to change the speedo unit before they come - it's reading in km/h instead of miles and much easier to swap without the windscreen.

well done malcolm
mentioning speedos reminds me have found some brand new r4 speedos of varying types in the barn all are boxed but not sure if can read numbers
still hopeful of attending 22nd so will bring along

Back