Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Here's Harvey!

pepper

Pepper The One and Only!
Well some of you may remember this car being on eBay last year which I have bought to do up for my son's 20150207_154159.jpg first car.

Yesterday was it's first time powered under its own essence for over 9 years.

We have so far replaced the water pump, the fuel pump, cleaned out the fuel tank and replaced the exhaust.

We managed to unseize the clutch whilst the water pump was off and have got it all back running under its own power.

20150207_154216.jpg

The chassis isn't too bad, it needs some welding on the drivers side heel board and a lot of bodywork fettling, we have a replacement bonnet and I need to get the rear wings off to sort out the rust on the joints, it's only done 45,000 miles so runs smoothly with less fatigue from the daily use which BB had had.

Last edited:
Best thing about it was the guy I bought it off told me that the timing chain had gone (it was knocking very badly), and that he had been told to cut the bulkhead out to fix it..

Luckily he hadn't done so as he'd have been disappointed because it was the water pump that was knocking!

Looks like a nice project Pepper, is it an 845cc? I think I see a Morris Minor in the background?

Yup it's an 845cc.

My friend who shares my unit is a minor fan, in fact we have quite a few BLMC cars up here with 2 minors an MO Oxford, and a lovely low mileage Wolsley Land crab.

Well we've done a little more today,

We're having problems with the engine running smoothly, as even with a new fuel filter installed the carburetor keeps getting blocked!
20150412_163831.jpg

I've managed to get a set of door barrels, a new fuel cap, we just need a new ignition lock now.

We need a pair of rear wings and need to sort out the minor rot around the rear wing mounting points.

I've decided to get this car resprayed rather than my usual tatty cars as the car has only done 49000 miles.

Last edited:
Can you not take the old door lock to a locksmith and ask him to make a key? That should fit your existing ignition lock and save you from replacing it.

I could do but a complete set of barrels with 2 new keys cost €25 delivered from France.

It would cost a fortune to get a locksmith to do that for me. I just need an igntion lock now, but havent found the right one for my car yet.

Oh and the lock has been removed totally i dont have one to get fixed in the first place.

Ah Paul you'd be a saviour, if its the pre 1982.

Wouldn't have any wing panels too?

Fronts and rear as the fronts have been replaced with pattern parts and the fit is poor...

I suppose i ought to update this thread a little,
Harvey has been sat in my workshop doing very little due to my lack of enthusiasm, mainly because my welders so shit!

Never ever buy a Sip welder!

I'm now in the process of sorting a better welder out and should be fired hack up to get this out of my workshop pretty soon. It looks awful but isn't too bad really, just needs a small but of welding around the front heel plate and rear wings.

I've started sanding the wheels back tonight to make it look more cheerful. 20160506_163639_HDR.jpg

What a difference! Nice looking hubcaps too.

It's such a dirty job; I did my 5 wheels by hand as well, both front and back. And the insides.

Best wishes to Harvey; I bought a telwin welder and it works fairly well, but I have no other experiences so I can't judge properly; the torch is not so good but I think it is a common problem for all economic welders (the only I could afford ). I just sold the first one in order to buy another with more power (from 135 to 165 amperes ).

Yesterday i brought some wheels to the tyre shop in order to have tyres removed and choose the 5 best ones to restore... would like to have them in the earlier beige colour.
Is your the final color coat?

The paint is some heat resistant stuff I had knocking around for exhaust pipes, I thought with all the 29hp of power I may get the rims a bit warm :-D

It says silver grey on the can, looks just like primer to me!

I'll probably spray them a more silvery silver colour though and lacquer the top.

Best wishes to Harvey; I bought a telwin welder and it works fairly well, but I have no other experiences so I can't judge properly; the torch is not so good but I think it is a common problem for all economic welders (the only I could afford ). I just sold the first one in order to buy another with more power (from 135 to 165 amperes ).

Yesterday i brought some wheels to the tyre shop in order to have tyres removed and choose the 5 best ones to restore... would like to have them in the earlier beige colour.
Is your the final color coat?

I may have the opportunity to buy a Porta Mig, which are British built with a Euro torch connection, they're not cheap and are built to order when new.

Hopefully it'll go some way to sorting out my welding, I have a gasless mig which I can weld fine with but it doesn't do thin steel, gasless is more like arc welding with thinner wire, so is hotter.

I like a coat of primer filler followed by Simoniz Silver Wheels and then a few coats of clear lacquer.

Yup I'll do something similar.

I just thought it would brighten the car up little if I tidied the wheels up.

I'm quite impressed by the spray can silver. My MG wheels were primed and sprayed with that stuff over 20 years ago and they still look good. Some rust spots probably due to stone chips so I might give them another coat before the tyres are changed. I've just fitted a 123-tune distributor to the MG - it works below 2000rpm now!

Harvey looks nice and not messed around with. Do come and try out the Portamig - I have a distributor to pay for. :laughing:

I've seen an awesome way of masking wheels up the other day, they used a pack of playing cards placed vertically in between the tyre and rim all the way round worked a treat....

Back