Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Other projects not R4 related

With a pint of Guinness and 'Hotel California' in stereo with real loudspeakers (remember those?), the poignance of the lyrics is not lost but the world recedes :hug:

I've not been getting on with the F4 but I can report some progress repairing the big holes in my ballroom ceiling. Over the last 40 years many people have made many holes in the poor ceiling. It's a lath and plaster system (common before WW2) where the lath are bits of wood nailed onto supports and then plastered. My holes now have new lath.

lath-replaced.jpg

They mostly have new plaster too. So many big holes, but soon I should be able to paint the ballroom ceiling. And then start getting on with the walls. :doh:

plastering-progress.jpg

Actually I've already started the walls, and at the base of this one I found some rotten parquet wood floor. It's under the concrete floor. This is the house that keeps giving. :laughing:

base-coat.jpg

I'm working in my house too, even if my ongoing restoring is not as extensive as your...
Yesterday I found the old chimney from the basement, took off the old eternit (! ) one and going to swap it with an inox one... Plans are to fit a wooden stove in the basement for the house heating... IMG_20201122_184844.jpgIMG_20201122_183200.jpg

Good luck with the plumbing :artist:
I think I'll do by myself just the cold/warm water pipelines, since now I teared down a small wall and they have to change road (now they basically hang on the middle of nowhere), the stove plumping is a work for the plumber (even legally speaking I'm not allowed to do such a job)... My main concern now is installing the new chimney, that is slightly bigger than the old one (18 cm diameter) and needs a bit of uncomfortable diggind further in the wall....

Boght 4 Wheels for Espace as winter set up in bad shape. Badly paintrd in white by previous owner. Paint started to fall off.

IMG_20200730_175149.jpg.3fee08c419543e7b1797a4b3211a0a34.jpg

Made small paint booth so i can play with sprey gun

IMG_20201227_200705.jpg

Strip them to bear metal with paint striper

IMG_20201227_200724.jpg

First coat Wash Primer for aluminium in three layers

IMG_20201227_200739.jpg

Second coat Mobihel Primer in three layers

IMG_20201227_200754.jpg
IMG_20201227_200807.jpg

Third coat Mobihel paint in two layers

IMG_20201227_200826.jpg

Fourth coat Mobihel Clear coat in two layera

IMG_20201227_200840.jpg

Job is done from inside and outside.
Need to leave it for few days so that clear coat get fully dried.
Put winter tires and on car.

Learned something new (first time i am using sprey gun for painting) , and realised that preparation of the surface is most important and hardest coat to put is last clear coat.

Now for something completely different.
I’ve ordered a new bicycle frame.
My current bicycle has some issue.
So after 13 years it’s time for something new.
My new frame is all steel again. The choice I made is because strength, durability and therefore the environment.
The frame is made by a small frame building company in the Netherlands. All made to measure. From special Columbus steel frame tubes.
Today I got the first pictures of the frame in my mailbox.91AFA009-4194-4071-BF4E-B8BF7F52CB6E.jpeg

Looking slim comparing to todays frames
I can see that rear derailleur bracket is one peace with frame.

What will you do if it brakes?

Rear tubes are pushed into bracket (where rear wheel is mounted) and then welded?

Do you know what method is used to weld pipes?
Weld are looking really neat.

Sorry, professional hazard so notice some details:D

Modern frames are made of aluminum or carbon. You need a thicker pipe to get the same kind of strength as a steel bike.
The welds are brazed and then smoothed by filing them.
Old fashioned handwork.
The drop-outs are pre-made and then the tube is pushed in and brazed in place.
The eyelet for the derailleur is left in place as a precaution. My gearing is with a Rohloff speed hub, with 14 gears. And just one sprocket at the front on the crank. An eccentric bottom bracket is used for the tensioning of the chain.
If something fails I can put on a normal gearing system or a chain tensioner and continu my trip. This bike is for extended holidays abroad.

The frame builder does one frame at the time to get the best quality bike.

20C81E15-802A-450F-954A-04A184E5506A.jpeg
The end result should look like this.

Back