Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Other projects not R4 related

I've just caught up with all these amazing projects you incredibly talented folks have been doing, Harbourseal, your bike is amazing, Malcolm, your house & you are beautiful, JdeW wow, what a man cave & Jurjenz more beautifully restored machinery, you're all an inspiration & I need it at the mo....starting work on the house!

• F518364F-8972-47DB-B39F-480CFADFEAEB.jpeg
    F518364F-8972-47DB-B39F-480CFADFEAEB.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 3
I was trying to figure out your windows Malcolm, were they crittall or leaded & some look stuck on, but just read your blog that explains it. If you did want to learn how to make leaded lights I can talk you through it (if you don't know already that is)

I've been busier than ever with work so no time for much else. Managed to replace a leaking s-trap on a sink today though.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Another project. Last weekend my wife fell over with her bicycle.
Completely fed up with the heavy transport bike we tried to sell it online.
But the Dutch, cheap as they are, weren’t willing to pay a good price for a perfectly good bicycle.

So I shaved off some weight by taking a all the heavy transport racks of. And swapping the bulky gel saddle for a nice English Light weight Brooks saddle.

From 21.8 kg to 18.1 kg in maybe an hour. Probably less.
Try to lose that kind of weight in the gym. That takes forever
8E55B94D-6FAD-4483-BF23-01CE0F142239.jpeg
9151B6CA-38A1-4056-B84F-D89750BFA9ED.jpegA727C34C-4618-44AD-8F7E-481FA5CB9F99.jpegD873BE06-DB22-48B8-B561-4F4A4B5F0F5C.jpeg3DBF3F02-DBCB-4ADF-A26A-3206D3F256A5.jpeg

Nice tyres :cool:

Although looking traditional and posh, the Brooks saddles are a bit hard on the bottom - a cheaper padded one might be better received :dontknow:

The padded gel saddles give you saddle pain on long rides.
My experience with Brooks saddles has been very good over the years.
On my own bicycle I have a Brooks C17 Cambium. A very hard saddle with no springs.
Honestly I don’t put on these saddles just because they look nice. But because they are a good ride.

Yesterday we did do 34km. Obviously There was some saddle pain. But the ride was better then on the big bulky gel saddle.

• BBCF7BB2-983F-4B9E-97E8-941DC96B7907.jpeg
    BBCF7BB2-983F-4B9E-97E8-941DC96B7907.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 8
You had strict diet. Only water and bread!

I find out that hard saddle less affect you of bike ride than good seating position on that saddle.

These saddles were supposed to take the shape of the rider's body, that's why they are so comfortable. They needed a break-in period first, in which the saddle felt uncomfortable.
I don't think all modern saddles are uncomfortable (I have never ridden with a Brooks, though). It's rather the fact that you have to be lucky enough, or patient enough, to find the brand and type that suits you better.

I really don't have any clue about saddles, but on running footwear I know a bit having run 10 marathons in the past (fastest time 3h 01m 26s). Eventually my right knee is a bit worn, so cycling is better, though nowadays I live more by sayings as "if it doesn't hum, it's not right" and "any work that can be done by engine power or hydraulic pressure is better then by blood pressure"

Now almost halfway the driveway (unfortunately on blood pressure :()
20200818_094822.jpg

I really don't have any clue about saddles, but on running footwear I know a bit having run 10 marathons in the past (fastest time 3h 01m 26s). Eventually my right knee is a bit worn, so cycling is better, though nowadays I live more by sayings as "if it doesn't hum, it's not right" and "any work that can be done by engine power or hydraulic pressure is better then by blood pressure"

Now almost halfway the driveway (unfortunately on blood pressure :()
View attachment 26728
that's a very impressive time

We have just come back from taking the family to Longleat Safari Park in Wiltshire. Driving around the Warminster bypass after a good day out, I was overtaken by a Renault 5 Turbo 2 - the first I think I have seen on the road for about 30 years. Quite a sight!

Back