The target for today get the lower and upper front wheel arms in place with the torsion bars.
With no trouble I've reached it.
I first put the assembly in place in the centre chassis beam. Not tight but just enough to hold it in place. After that I put the lower bolts in place that go in to the front subframe and pushed them in to the holes in the subframe.
I pulled the whole assembly toward the subframe with a rattlestrap, and did so for both sides. No hassle at all. After tightening all the bolts and nuts it was just putting the upper arms where they belong and the job was done within an hour.
And today I got the good news that the engine block was ready for pick up after being cleaned and the cilinders honed
Today it is official. I'm the proud owner of a Sinpar kit for a 845cc engine. It is the faster 8x33 version.
I still have to go and get it from France. But it is mine. Yes, Yes.
For now it lays in storage with a friend of mine, ready to be picked up.
It comes with the rear axle and al the major parts. so it wil be a question of cleaning it up just popping everything in place.
I only have to make some modifications to the petrol tank.
Yesterday I picked up my Sinparkit in France.
Today I spend the whole day cleaning heaps of sahara sand and tarmac from the back axles
Upon taking apart the brake drums I discovered that the left one had no brake shoes in them. And both the brake pumps are seized.
That finished I can finally start building up and getting the chassis on wheels.
Today I did some more cleaning on the Sinpar stuff.
Some French philistine welded the brake footplate to the swingarm had to undo the lot with an angle grinder. :-(
He probably lost the retainer bolts and this was his solution.
Due to the amount of work it took to undo the footplates I Only was able to put the cilinder liners and gaskets in place on the engine.
Tomorrow my new motor assembly stand comes in. Than I can really start with the engine.
Today was a day of old fashioned mechanics.
Had to make my own paper gasket for the first time in 30 years.
And it turned out fine. I primed the paper gasket with multi purpose grease.
I also fitted the distribution chain. The cranck- and camshaft are connected now.
Lining up the markers was quite easy. It was something I was worried about.
Paper gaskets need to be greased with mpg so they won't start leaking oil. That is the priming part. I only glued the rounded bits of the sump gasket. The other parts I primed a bit en just put the in place. to be tightened by the bolts.
Been busy and productive today.
First I put 2 neuw earings in the Sinpar back axle.
After that I tried to losen the the adjustment on the backbrake anchor plates but that needs some more time with WD40 and heating and cooling.
Rust is a pain.
And I put on the enginehead. It starts to look like an engine now.
New head gasket on top of the block
Valve pushrods in place in the cilinderhead
Spacing in between the exhaust valves is somewhat limited after screwing in the head-bolts by hand and for lack of having the special Renault-socket. I used a pipe socket 14 and a socket 19 to tork the head-bolt
And after putting on the new waterpump and fuelpump it looks very much like a Renault 4 for engine again.
I agree the space is very limited when tightening or removing the head bolts. When I removed mine, I was able to slide the rockers sidewards along the shaft and then flip them upwards to gain access to the bolts.
But I see that you have successfully achieved the result using tools on hand.
In South Africa, we have a saying, " 'n boer maak 'n plan" Being Dutch you will understand, and roughly translated it means a farmer, who doesn't always have access to all tools and modern equipment, always makes an alternative plan!
Been working every day at the workshop since Saturday.
I finally arrived at the bodywork.
So Saturday I spend with my Belgian friend the panel beater Daniel. Working on the roofline that had been used as a trampoline by the French youth.
After panel beating and puttying it looks almost like a normal roofline again. The middle was so bad and dented that i decided to replace it with a twingo sliding roof.
Sunday was a wasted day as far as work on the car was concerned but it was fruitful because we might have found a new workshop in a village nearby. And again it is an old bus workshop just a big as the one we have now. This time with a gigantic 4 legged bridge that can have two R4s at the same time.
Monday I picked up some parts from my local blacksmith. And my new small 26ltr petrol tank got the angle grinder treatment because the filler hole is at the wrong side for a Sinpar Renault 4.
Today a friend came to help and clean al the French sand from the floor of the body shell with a stealbrush and the trusted angle grinder.
After that I sprayed it with stone-chip.
And I sprayed the inside of the bonnet with a new paint gun.
Between al that we had time to have some fun. And I did some welding on a friends R4 to get it ready for an MOT tomorrow
And today I finally got the back axle on. It's quite a laborious job. Don't want to do it again anytime soon.
An other job for today was getting the frame in with the silent-blocks for the back differential.