Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 full resto

If your car has the 334 gearbox, and your set-up is like the one in Homegrown's photo (with the cut-out for the starting-handle), there's one here (attached to a later mounting):

There's a new mounting there as well:

Thanks will check if they ship to Malta.Thanks a lot!!

If anyone has one for sale and is willing to ship to Malta i am ready to buy,thanks,this is my gearbox with the old one out new one in

gearbox mount.jpg

Preping the suspension arms so that i start assembly
Bushes removed and assembled

279936543_496178598960696_2447449139110507926_n.jpg

280387688_732298147806374_145505189987626685_n.jpg 280169241_1170571027065348_5874718594312644279_n.jpg 280196653_984771625734768_4255035628156976735_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hi may i please ask if a small gap should be left between the bush and the chassis plate(marked in red) or should the bush be pressed until it cannot go in any further? thanks

Inkedbush_LI.jpg

Inner bush sleeve should be pressed as far inwards as it will go. The bush is built in such a way that outer sleeve will not touch mounting plate.

Inner bush sleeve should be pressed as far inwards as it will go. The bush is built in such a way that outer sleeve will not touch mounting plate.
I was asking as there are the cast iron type where it is stated that a 2 mm gap should be left between the bush and the chassis (triangular plate). So i am lost as to whether i should leave a gap or not when doing the other side, i did not leave a gap on the left hand side and the problem i found was that the triangular plate was some 2mm away from the chassis and thus when i bolted it i was worried it stressed the rubber bushing.
Thanks as always

Time to change the bushes and bearings of right hand side axle. Still unsure whether i will leave 2 mm gap on the triangular side bush,

right axle.jpg

I don't know the answer to the bush question. I've never managed to disassemble a rear axle as far as you have. I normally remove and refit them in one piece. You will find the answer quickly when the rear suspension is offered up to the chassis as 4mm will make a lot of difference. There are some dimensions of the chassis on https://www.renault4.co.uk/suspension-jig.htm if that helps.

Angel knows a lot more than me about this sort of thing and I don't have the experience to see the ambiguity.

There should be a gap between inner arm mounting bracket and outer bush sleeve, otherwise they will rub and creak when suspension moves.

Correct position for the inner mounting is determined after outer mounting is pressed in the arm. Outer mounting bush is being pressed in the bracket first in a way that outer bush sleeve is flush with outer bore edge of bracket. Then the bracket / bush assembly is being pressed in the suspension arm as far as it will go, there is a ridge on the suspension arm preventing it from going any further. Angular position of the outer mounting in relation to suspension arm is of utmost importance and should be determined according to factory manual or RTA.

Now the inner bracket / bush should be pressed in the suspension arm up to the point that distance between face of inner bracket and outer bracket inner side is 225mm - you can also measure this distance on the chassis. This way bushes will not be under lateral tension when arm is installed on the car. Again, angular position of mounting is very important.

There should be a gap between inner arm mounting bracket and outer bush sleeve, otherwise they will rub and creak when suspension moves.

Correct position for the inner mounting is determined after outer mounting is pressed in the arm. Outer mounting bush is being pressed in the bracket first in a way that outer bush sleeve is flush with outer bore edge of bracket. Then the bracket / bush assembly is being pressed in the suspension arm as far as it will go, there is a ridge on the suspension arm preventing it from going any further. Angular position of the outer mounting in relation to suspension arm is of utmost importance and should be determined according to factory manual or RTA.

Now the inner bracket / bush should be pressed in the suspension arm up to the point that distance between face of inner bracket and outer bracket inner side is 225mm - you can also measure this distance on the chassis. This way bushes will not be under lateral tension when arm is installed on the car. Again, angular position of mounting is very important.
Thanks i did not leave a gap in the inner arm and i was a couple of mm away from the chassis when i installed it on the chassis, when i tightened the bolts it got in place however i am afraid of having caused damage to the bush even though it doesnt seem so. Will do as you said on the right hand side,thanks as always for your precious health. Goodday

Back