Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Road trip 2011 - Thenay 50th Anniversary

Hi there, I've just noticed what that chappy renault4mad has written. I reckon it will take an Englishman to lead him over the boarder into Devon to catch the ferry to France :-) I might be Cornish4 but I ain't a janner, but I do love this county, Gods own country. I have to say I am thinking of Portsmouth too, and joining that convey, but don't tell renault4mad. Unless we can drum up some 4s from down this way for a mini 4L convey and meet up with you all over there. I do know there is a 4 in Dawlish, but there must be more enthusiasts out there! Brian.
Whoops, I've put my foot in it, I thought renault4mad was a Cornishman, it turns out he's from the fine city of Liverpool, sorry pal :)

Many thanks for the public apology...:o still going to have words with you :D

Hello

Are there any members who live in south west France who would like to drive in convoy to Thenay in july 2011

My wife may possibly be driving back down to the South of France after Thenay, but would be coming over with us first.

Pepper.

I have been talking to one or two re routes and having tried to book rooms in Thenay and the reccommended B&B was already booked up.

I was thinking of Portsmouth /Caen
Cornish 4 favours St Malo
Derek is thinking of the tunnel.

Would it be worth folks indicating what would suit them to help people plan ferries ect.
Gary

Good idea Gary,

Portsmouth is my favourite to travel from, and is the most central for most of us who are thinking of joining the trip.

If everyone would let us know of their preferences, then we can get a better idea of the requirements.

I'm torn between Portsmouth - Caen or Dover - Calais.

Both are down south so makes no real difference from here whether I drive to Dover or Portsmouth, its about an extra 150 miles in France from Calais rather than Caen but then its also about £200 cheaper on the ferry.

Not using the tunnel though.

I always prefer Calais ( that's the way i'm going ) and it's a lot cheaper also it's a bit further but at least you get to drive through more of France and see the countryside also show off your car.

Pepper.

I have been talking to one or two re routes and having tried to book rooms in Thenay and the reccommended B&B was already booked up.

I was thinking of Portsmouth /Caen
Cornish 4 favours St Malo
Derek is thinking of the tunnel.

Would it be worth folks indicating what would suit them to help people plan ferries ect.
Gary
Hi all, renault4mad and yours truly are favouring Plymouth/Roscoff, the overnight ferry and then two days leisurely drive to Thenay. Interesting the b&b already booked, but I'm sure there are many more not to far from the event. Brian.:cool:

I always prefer Calais ( that's the way i'm going ) and it's a lot cheaper also it's a bit further but at least you get to drive through more of France and see the countryside also show off your car.

My thoughts exactly. I'd quite enjoy a leisurely drive through France in an R4 even if it takes all day. And on the basis that Dover > Calais is a lot cheaper then I'm thinking that might well be my plan too.

Hotels

hELLO

We have booked 2 nights in the logis hotel Le Prieure. in st Marcell its 5 miles drive to thenay the double room is 65 euro per night, give it a try.

Regards Eddie:smile:

Have looked for Thenay on Google Maps and found it OK.

However, Saint-Marcell is 1 hour 45 minutes away according to Google Maps ?

Can someone confirm the exact Google location of Thenay where the 4L International is taking place, as we want to book a hotel for the Friday / Saturday.

hotel? whats up with being under canvas for a couple of nights:eek:

I've popped a map up with a pointer that should be sitting exactly on the entrance for the event. http://www.renault4.co.uk/thenay.htm (Use the + in the top left to zoom in. It's a bit clonky as I'm not very good at these map things, but we should all try to go to the same place).

Searching Thenay France in Google maps gives you much the same. The showground is just to the right of the village.

Hehehe I love all the different reasons for taking different routes, I still quite fancy going via Dover-Calais or the even cheaper Dover-Dunkirk as it would mean we could either drive down through Le Mans or Paris, both are pretty entertaining! I know a lovely municipal campsite by the river in Orleans too!

Have looked for Thenay on Google Maps and found it OK.

However, Saint-Marcell is 1 hour 45 minutes away according to Google Maps ?

Can someone confirm the exact Google location of Thenay where the 4L International is taking place, as we want to book a hotel for the Friday / Saturday.

Hello Claire,once you have found Thenay follow the road heading east, that's the D30. As you leave the edge of the village you will see what looks like a collection of race circuits, that's where the event will be held. For accommodation try Montrichard, small town about 8km south of Thenay. We had a meal at the Hotel Belle Vue this year, great food, maybe try them for accom. Hope this helps you. Brian:cool:

Hello Claire,once you have found Thenay follow the road heading east, that's the D30. As you leave the edge of the village you will see what looks like a collection of race circuits, that's where the event will be held. For accommodation try Montrichard, small town about 8km south of Thenay. We had a meal at the Hotel Belle Vue this year, great food, maybe try them for accom. Hope this helps you. Brian:cool:

Claire, I've just checked out this hotel, €65 per night, and they are featured in Brittany Ferries list of approved hotels. :cool:

Fuel additive

Hello

Is there a need to put lead additive in the fuel tank when using un leaded petrol on a Renault 4 GTL !984 Model.

Thanks Eddie:smile::smile:

Morning, that's up to you, i don't bother myself but then i take my cylinder head's off for the sheer fun of it. ;)

Any way back OT, I will probably go Dover - Calais via boat or maybe tunnel, depends on what deals are around.

I have a friend with a farm in Le Mans if that helps ?

Michael

Back