Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rocker cover on 1100 engine.

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi. We have a spanish GTL, and the two bolt holding the rocker cover on are quite different. One has a hemispherical"washer" which spreads the bolt load onto the cover. The other has washers and rubbers which must do something similar, but not as well as there is a small but persistent leak. As there will be someone out there who knows the truth, can they confirm that the domed washer is correct, and if so has anybody got a spare so that I have matching pair. If not can someone supply what should be there.
Thank you.

On my Fasa F6 the rear rocker bolt holds bracket for ‘ rattle suppression ?’ spring on gearleaver, front has small bracket that holds petrol pipe and wiring off of direct contact with rocker/head, both these have a rubber grommet/ bush that when bolted down seals.
There are washers available at hardware stores here for roofing purposes that are like slightly domed spreadwashers with rubber bonded to the underside which is a tight fit over the thread, under a nut they provide a seal on the surface bolted to and thread, two may suit purpose.
Nuts are brass/copper nuts with a spread base.

• 0AA01AFF-82C6-4DBD-887B-74DF697B4250.jpeg
    0AA01AFF-82C6-4DBD-887B-74DF697B4250.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 8
Favtory fit is m7 threaded nut with flat steel washer built into nut
Fibre washer needed under it
Overtightenig distorts cover
May need removing and tapping flat from underneath to stop leak sucesfully
Most fibre washers easily available will be 6mm too small or 8mm too big

On my Fasa F6 the rear rocker bolt holds bracket for ‘ rattle suppression ?’ spring on gearleaver, front has small bracket that holds petrol pipe and wiring off of direct contact with rocker/head, both these have a rubber grommet/ bush that when bolted down seals.
There are washers available at hardware stores here for roofing purposes that are like slightly domed spreadwashers with rubber bonded to the underside which is a tight fit over the thread, under a nut they provide a seal on the surface bolted to and thread, two may suit purpose.
Nuts are brass/copper nuts with a spread base.
HiLaxian, and thanks for the email. I think that is what is on the front of mine, and so that is what I need for the other. Is there any chance of getting a couple of the domed spread washers ( so I know they are the same) and posting them to me. Otherwise its a very small order for a business to deal with. I can send some euros as required.
You can conversation me and we can exchange contact info. Regards Edwin

Favtory fit is m7 threaded nut with flat steel washer built into nut
Fibre washer needed under it
Overtightenig distorts cover
May need removing and tapping flat from underneath to stop leak sucesfully
Most fibre washers easily available will be 6mm too small or 8mm too big
Thanks Andy. I will look at this as well. I suppose I could sand the 8mm fibre washer down. Laxians domed spread washer appears to be what is on the one end of our rocker cover, and that end works well, so if he will send them, I will start there, and then try your idea. I will take note of your suggestion to try and flatten out the cover. Regards Edwin

The measurement I was talking about is the diameter of the hole in the center which would fit over the stud

Hi Edwin,
Will pick up some and message you, there sold singularly so I’ll send 6, you’ll have spares just incase the rocker needs to come off/on.
Best
Ian

Hi Edwin,
Will pick up some and message you, there sold singularly so I’ll send 6, you’ll have spares just incase the rocker needs to come off/on.
Best
Ian
Thank you very much. What a great forum this is. Look forward to hearing from you.

The measurement I was talking about is the diameter of the hole in the center which would fit over the stud
I understand now. But I could drill that to 7mm from a 6mm. I will have another look at what I have got. Thanks for your advice.

Pic. of washers mentioned earlier in thread,

• 4E030101-5272-4FF0-9164-4005C2CD8CFC.jpeg
    4E030101-5272-4FF0-9164-4005C2CD8CFC.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1
Those look really impressive at stopping leaks better than normal french spec

Back