Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Simpa

Prospector

Enthusiast
Hi guys ,new to the forum,have just purchased a Renault 4. 4x4 simpar ,won't get it home until New year,was wondering what the lever on the inner sill was for if the dash lever (not the gear lever ) is to operate the four wheel drive system?

Hmm, I can't picture what that could be on the inner sill. I don't think it would be the handbrake lever. Ejector seat, maybe? :whistle:

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :waving:

The very first Sinpar Renault 4
Had just 1 lever to engage the 4x4.
That was the one under the dash.

This engaged and disengaged the front part of the system.

The prop shaft would still be turning with a disengaged 4x4.
So the Sinpar engineers thought of a second lever next to the driver seat to engage or disengage the back differential from the prop shaft.

This made the car a little quieter and use less petrol.

Good luck with your new car.
I think that I speak for all of us.
We like photographs.

Regards, Robert

Hi there, nice to know that another R4 is taking up residence in Cornwall, and something a bit different too. Hope we meet up sometime in the future.

Regards Brian.

Thank you all for your replies won't get the beast until after the new year will keep updating with pictures, I restore old vehicles and interesting stuff for a living but this is for myself. I adore the 4 and to find a 4x4 is a bonus ,let the adventures begin

Lots of work ahead ,drive shaft removed,don't know why yet,would it be any use me posting regular updates with each problem found.

I had thoughts about this vehicle when it was in France. Would be very interested to read what you are doing with it. Robert [harbourseal] is an 'expert' on Sinpars. A picture tells a 1000 words too.
Enjoy

Good luck with all the work that lays ahead for you.
Now for the good news. You’ve got the faster version. Gear ratio in the back diff is 8x33. Don’t expect hair raising speeds. But on the road it will keep up with most oap’s;) But it is a little weaker in terrain.

Back