Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Various styles of wheels for Renault 4s

That's not how you measure the distance 3 by 130 is PCD which is pitch circle diameter I have had this discussion many times previously much harder to measure on a 3 stud wheel if you find somebody with a Renault 4 wheel to measure the distance between the studs it will be less than what you've got there right now I can't go outside and find one to measure for you

PCD is the diameter of the imaginary circle that passes through the stud centres. As it cannot be measured directly, many people take the measurement between two studs and refer to R4/R5/R6 wheels as "3x110" and R12/R17 etc. as "3x130". This is confusing because actual PCD of R4 wheels is 130mm.

I think you can work out the diameter of the imaginary circle using a bit of trigonometry. If the distance between stud centres is a, then the diameter of the imaginary circle will be: a / cos 30. (where 30 is 30 degrees).

Working backwards, if the PCD is 130mm, then the distance between two stud centres should be 130 x cos 30 = 112.6mm

Obviously we now need a degree in trigonometry and and a masters class using a tape measure to discover that you cannot actually fit a Renault 12 wheel onto a Renault 4

Here is nice picture that easily explain PCD and how it is measured on 3 hole rim.

It is written in cyrillic letters but number and pictures are unilanguage
afccbau-480.gif

Phew, I'm glad that agrees with my school-boy trigonometry! ;)

few more 3x130 rims to measure

• FB_IMG_1572201768959.jpg
    FB_IMG_1572201768959.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1569764543530.jpg
    FB_IMG_1569764543530.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 19
Ah ok, that makes much more sense then. Wouldn't it be easiest to just measure the radius from one stud to the center and multiple by two? Though since jjad already did the math we now have two methods of verification.

Also, I'm a driveshaft engineer with a master's degree in mechanical engineering :laughing: We refer to it as a BCD or bolt circle diameter for rubber couplings and CV joints.

There are some fantastic wheels in the above post. I feel like several of them would be very difficult to find!

Thanks for the help guys!

The Holy Trinity (the power of three...) the Maths seem fine, but there's nothing like a triangulated RENAULT 4 Wheels.jpgpicture for a non-engineer. Interesting how the three wheel stud arrangement was so popular in France and Italy, is this why the Pope had a Renault 4??

And so far no one has even noticed that the bottom selection I posted are all in fact 3 by 150 wheels
You read it on the internet so it must be true

I think you can work out the diameter of the imaginary circle using a bit of trigonometry. If the distance between stud centres is a, then the diameter of the imaginary circle will be: a / cos 30. (where 30 is 30 degrees).

Working backwards, if the PCD is 130mm, then the distance between two stud centres should be 130 x cos 30 = 112.6mm
now that is stretching my thinking matter back too many years, never was good at mathematics.

Yes! At last the late Sir Stanley Hooker's mantra "The pen is mightier than the spanner", has been proven. I love a bit of science and mathematics me. Stanley Hooker btw, was the chief engineer at Rolls Royce and masterminded Concorde's Olympus engine, the Merlin's two stage supercharger and fixed the RB211 which still forms the core of all RR's large fan engines. I was about to pen the trig but was beaten to it. Yes, really. I'm a former Rolls engineer.

And so far no one has even noticed that the bottom selection I posted are all in fact 3 by 150 wheels

To make matters worse, some of them were also available in 3x130!

And if you think we have covered all 3-stud Renault wheels, there is the Renault 14 which uses the Peugeot narrow 3-stud PCD (3x86 if I remember correctly), which is, again, different from the later 3-stud Peugeot / Citroen PCD!

Excellent, nothing wrong with some primary school mathematics, keeping attention at the lesson and not staring outside.

I think we had discussed it here at some time. I experimented with making an adapter to enable fitting of chrome hubcaps to late style GTL wheels.

IMG_20200609_202005.jpgIMG_20200609_202054.jpgIMG_20200609_202202.jpgIMG_20200610_074012.jpg

It is turned out of Acetal industrial plastic and has been precisely sized in order to fit easily but snugly in the wheel bore. I guess there are no dimensional variations between wheels, so the adapters can be fabricated without individual test fitting.
If there is interest, I can make some sets. Since it's me who will be fabricating them, no minimum quantity is required, and of course delay will be minimal.
Estimated price for a set of four with polished stainless bolts and washers is 90,00 euros, and postage will be 16,00 euros.

left ones, correct older ones, i have on my 1977 R4 dunlop made rims, one number is 1958 cannot be the production year, can it?

I think we had discussed it here at some time. I experimented with making an adapter to enable fitting of chrome hubcaps to late style GTL wheels.

View attachment 26101View attachment 26102View attachment 26103View attachment 26104

It is turned out of Acetal industrial plastic and has been precisely sized in order to fit easily but snugly in the wheel bore. I guess there are no dimensional variations between wheels, so the adapters can be fabricated without individual test fitting.
If there is interest, I can make some sets. Since it's me who will be fabricating them, no minimum quantity is required, and of course delay will be minimal.
Estimated price for a set of four with polished stainless bolts and washers is 90,00 euros, and postage will be 16,00 euros.
I was thinking about making a similar one but 3d printed for my car, ABS plastic should do its job

Back