Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Various styles of wheels for Renault 4s

The early Renault 5's have a similar wheel shape that have a chrome hubcap. They also have front disc brakes.
So a search for those wheel rims might help you out.

It is possible to use solid drum brake rims if you use bendix setup and remove 6 disc retaining bolts
Then drill drive flange to use countersunk Alan key m8 bolts
Malcom followed this advice I gave him for Gordini project

Of course the holes are to let cold air in so maybe brakes get too hot if used in anger

Yes, mr-reno, holes are very much needed for disc cooling down.....

But i do not brake anyway :D so won't need them much (holes :whistle:)

Hi,
I'm new here. Just bought a 4 GTL, 1981, and I'm doing some restoration.
The current the rims have holes and I'd like to replace with solid rims and attach hubcaps.
Is this possible for my model, or is there a work around?

Hi,
I'm new here. Just bought a 4 GTL, 1981, and I'm doing some restoration.
The current the rims have holes and I'd like to replace with solid rims and attach hubcaps.
Is this possible for my model, or is there a work around?
There is a work around. See the last photo on https://www.renault4.co.uk/gordini-brakes.htm You need to countersink the bolt heads that hold the brake discs in place as there is no clearance for the bolts in the silid wheels. Also you need to fit Bendix brake callipers and will have to grind some metal from the outside of the calliper and the sliders to clear the wheel.

or make a spacer to fit in the big centre hole of existing rim with a threaded hole to fit bolt on chrome cap
someone on here has done this already

Guys, this is really helpful! Thanks so much.
Someone was telling me that vented discs should be used to minimize overheating.
I am thinking that the vented discs might be wider than the standard discs, and could cause clearance issues too? I can't find any info on the thickness of a regular dic vs. a vented disc.

Maybe this is only a matter of sinking the bolts and grinding some metal off of the outside Bendix brake callipers.

vented discs are for performance cars
the issue is if you fit drum brake rims there is less air flow to brakes
trying to fit vented discs is another challenge and no chance of using even normal r4 rims without spacers etc

Do you have any suggestions on where I can start searching for the solid 4L rims for sale?

contact Brian Whiteside in Dorset/,Hampshire
message me for his details

I have the left ones on our '85 850cc drum brake TL and on the '72 782cc drum brake 4L. They have available a domed chromed cover, fixed by a central bolt , the circular dome just covering enough to include the three wheel bolts. I like the simplicity of these wheels, which matches the simplicity of the car and its ethos. Edwin

I have the left ones on our '85 850cc drum brake TL and on the '72 782cc drum brake 4L. They have available a domed chromed cover, fixed by a central bolt , the circular dome just covering enough to include the three wheel bolts. I like the simplicity of these wheels, which matches the simplicity of the car and its ethos. Edwin
be aware the consequences of fitting early wheels to the front of Screenshot_20200429-141117_Photos.jpgdisc brake cars
note 6 bolt marks on rim and damage rim itself

Ooouch! I don't want to run into rims rubbing.

As an alternative, I've been looking at some of the snap on "universal" wheel covers for 13" wheels. There are some "Baby Moon" covers, (chrome domes) that will give my 4L a nice vintage look.

The seller looked at photos of my rims and seems to think they should work. I think I am going to give the wheel covers a shot to see how they perform.

Hopefully they wont come off on a tight curve or at a stop light.
Here is a link to the covers: https://www.amazon.ca/Baby-Moon-CHROME-Covers-Hubcaps/dp/B01CHZXP3E
Anyone have any experience with these?

In the interest of not starting a whole new group for a related question: will Renault 12 wheels fit on an '85 Spanish built R4?

I recently discovered that one of my current wheels had a single hole drilled out to fit a larger stud so I'm on the hunt for at least one replacement wheel or maybe a whole set if I have to.

IMG_20200509_113733335_HDR.jpg

Here's a picture of the wheels in question for purchase:
d26d7048ec3a85c6e603671591e1b742.0.jpg

What do y'all think? I'm assuming the bolt pattern is the same but should the same assumption be made for brake clearance?

No chance Renault 12 are 3 x 150 stud spacing which is no use for a Renault 4 which is 3 x 130

No chance Renault 12 are 3 x 150 stud spacing which is no use for a Renault 4 which is 3 x 130

Well, that's unfortunate. How about wheels from an R5 ("Le Car" here in the US)? They're the easiest Renault 3 lug wheel to source over here.

Turns out these wheels actually are 3x130! The owner says it's entirely possible they didn't actually come off of a Renault 12.
25a42cec2a0cece2963395a7031d7fd9.0.jpg

Back