Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Road trip 2011 - Thenay 50th Anniversary

Hello, the 50th celebrations in Thenay sound terrific. I'll definitely try and make it in our trusty '68. I've driven the route from the port at Caen before in the 4 as far as Le Mans classic last year keeping the the Route Nationales - it's a good run.

Checking with Brittany ferries I see the Portsmouth-Caen crossing varies between about £250 for a day crossing (based on a car and two for a week in France) to £380 for nigbt crossings with Cabins. (I'll personally be heading to the Alps after the weekend to catch the mountain stages of the Tour de France)

Does anyone know if there is camping at Thenay? If anyone's interested there is also a great place about 30 miles southwest called Loire Valley Classics www.loirevalleyclassics.com

Stuart and Juliette

Hello Stuart and Juliette, yes there is camping at Thenay, I camped there this year. It is a temporary campsite at the show venue, but it is well organized with good showers and loos. It doesn't cost a lot to camp there either. There was a great atmosphere there this year, very friendly. Brian.

Sorry, im going to be a bore, I am interested in coming along but having read this I have come up with a few questions. My thoughts are if people could fill in the answers they know it would be really helpful :)

Is there any official information about the celebration other than the flyer ?

Do we have to sign upto anything for the event - when is the deadline if so ?

Do you need to do anything special to drive your UK legal car in France ?
(Headlights etc)

What date are people looking to head down on ?

From reading the above there are several possible crossing routes, which is the current preferred route and how much in advance should it be booked.

There is mention of camping on site, does this need to be booked ?

When is the plan to head back ?

Many Many Thanks,
Andrew

Hi there Andrew, I will try to answer your questions.
The official website is<www.4linternational.com>Its not open yet,& how's your French?
Just turn up for the event, but I think it would be a good idea to book your camping pitch. Last year there was plenty of space but it could be different this year as it is the big 50, so many more folks could be there.
You will need to adjust your headlights, quite easy on my GTL, not sure about earlier cars though. You are required by law to carry a red warning triangle incase you breakdown, and you must have hi-vis tabards for all the cars occupants. Some spare bulbs are always handy just incase. Plus oil, water and a foot-pump.
I would suggest, catching the Tuesday night ferry, so giving yourself 2 days leisurely drive to Thenay. The event is over 3 days, and then a couple of days back to the ferry-port for the Tuesday night crossing. I think some people are extending their stay to make more of a holiday of it. Nice idea.
Dover and Portsmouth seem to be favourites at the moment. Last year I went from Plymouth to Roscoff and booked two months before, but it might be cheaper if you book earlier. Hope this helps you, all the best Brian.

Thanks for the info. I am currently liking the idea of Portsmouth as it looks a sensible route for me.

Hello Andrew, glad I was able to help. Portsmouth sounds good for you, just down the road isn't it. I expect there will be quite a convoy going over judging by the interest so far , so I don't think you will be on your own. I guess sometime soon people will say what their plans are so that some sort of overall plan can be put into action. Heck, this sounds like a military operation! Happy new year to you all, Brian.:-)

Don't forget that the hi vis vests and the triangle need to be within reach of the driver inside the car - not in the boot, the gendarmerie collect quite a lot of €90 on the spot fines from people carrying this equipment out of sight.

Sorry I've been a little off line for the past two weeks as we've been moving house, broadband is all sorted again now. ;)

Must admit that Pipex have seen us right with the change over!

Unlike Southern Electrcity, who when I rang them yesterday to see about getting the prepayment meter taken out (as they are charging 13p per KWh compared to the 8p I can get on an online tariff, wanted £52 for the removal!

A quick phone call to EDF today and they are going to swap us over and take the meter out for free!

Anyway, this 50th anniversary trip could do with some decisions being made, I'm taking holiday so I can get away when I want to, I'd really love to get around the peripherique in Paris whilst around but am amenable to what everyone else is doing too.

Gary I'll message you my phone number and we could perhaps have a chat about what's best.

Thenay stickers ?

Not heard anymore about Thenay stickers are we ? should we ? i think we should have something at least to mark the event.:lol:

I don't know if it is very useful for you, but if any of you plans to come via Belgium, he or she may want to join the Dutch and the Belgians. We aim to go there in a big caravan. One may subscribe via:

Hi,
what vehicles are you taking yourself....that R3 maybe..??

cheers
andrew

In it are the dates from Renault when they will be appearing. Unfortunately there is only one event listed for the UK so far.

February 2–6 – Renault 4 display at the Retromobile classic car show, Paris (France)

I've just booked the Eurostar to go over to Retromobile, anyone else going? I'll take some photos and post on here when I get back. Vive le quatre!

Hi all,

i have put some pictures in an album of last years R4L International courtesy of Cornish4 who was one of two english 4s at the event. I did it because he couldnt do it...bit elderly but dont tell him i told you all that:D

Happy viewing

Thanks a bunch for that pal,and I thought you were my friend. Anyway,all you decent people out there,hope you enjoy the pics.:-) Brian.

Excellent pics Brian (Linky here!) I'm really looking forward to it.

Not sure how I'm going to do it mind, self employment doesn't really allow me to spend a week over it especially given I'm already taking two weeks off as it is so it might be an early morning ferry on Friday and late night one on Sunday... :?

Will need to apply some proper thinking to the logistics of it really.

Hi David, the pics are just a taster, glad you like them. Hope you can get there, well worth the effort because by all accounts it will be quite a gathering. Will you be in your F6?. Brian.

I will be there one way or another.

I'd really like to take the F6 but heres the problem - fitting a back seat into the F6 isn't going to happen. Mrs_Lobster would like to come but that would mean not taking the R4 as even if I find and fit a back seat, its a very long way to be sat in the dark in the back of a noisy van.

If we all go it would be vastly easier to take the Sprinter which is also excellent for chucking camping stuff in. But really I want to take the R4.

It'd be a shame to go to the 50th Anniversary event in a Mercedes Sprinter and leave the R4 at home though, might just be doing this one on my own in the R4 in that case!

You wouldn't be the only R4 owner not taking his car. Renault4mad is making it a family holiday, which is nice. He's going in his Fiat camper, so you won't be alone, and you still get to have a great weekend.

This would be the route planned by me and my friends from Serbia, if all goes well I will be joining them in Slavonski Brod :)

rutat.png

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Rout...&vh=CAR&empriseH=275&empriseW=315&reinit=true

Back