Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

The "Mucca" disassembling and restoration

Leonardo.IT

Enthusiast
Recently I started to disassemble my 1986 950 TL (a Savane, as it was called in France) to start a body and chassis restoration.
I started taking off every piece I could to take it as light as possible to the body shop, as I'm not able to repair rust and paint by myself.
r4-1.jpg
r4-2.jpg
r4-3.jpg

r4-4.jpg
r4-5.jpg
56862200_2636973936344290_2125573589598994432_n.jpg

I'm planning to change colour to a dark blue (I was looking at blue Versailles 417, anybody here has some examples?) And install the famous twingo sunroof.
The body without all the wings looks way better than I thought, with the only real compromised spots on the rear fenders, more on the left side.

View attachment 23486

Those are the rust spots that made me decide to start the restoration, I've seen way worse and rusty cars but since I'd like to keep this as long as I can I thought it would have been better to do something straight away
Same spot decided me also to do the restoration and look what else I found and where I am now :D

I really hope my chassis will hide less surprises! :o
That's a massive job you did and still doing!
Btw the colour is fantastic and I think it's going to dress my Savane :D

Took off some VTR I put on the floor panels when I bought the car in September 2012.
It made a good protection for the floor where the rust was removed and everything had been protected with special wax.
But on the junction with the metal sheet it made a water stagnation that started some others rust spots. Luckily way less serious.
IMG_20190420_141139243_HDR.jpg

The work is slowly going on.
The car has been took to the bodyshop, the chassis has been sanded and sprayed and I'm waiting for a new floor pan.
I bought simply the front section, but the guy said "while we're here there's no reason to not take all the floor away and remove all the rust also inside the boxed sections".
So here we are...
IMG_20190511_102038422_HDR.jpg
The day the R4 has been taken from home

IMG-20190511-WA0013.jpg
Disassembling

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-12 at 10.21.37.jpeg
IMG_20190914_111602885.jpg
Twingo sunroof

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-26 at 22.41.20.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-09-26 at 22.41.21.jpeg
Sanded chassis

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-26 at 22.41.23.jpeg
Painted

It all started from three rust holes at the rear inner wing :-D

Well said.

I knew there were also some minor issues on the chassis, but it increased over every expetation.

And I still think that the base wasn't that bad.

The work is slowly going on.
The car has been took to the bodyshop, the chassis has been sanded and sprayed and I'm waiting for a new floor pan.
I bought simply the front section, but the guy said "while we're here there's no reason to not take all the floor away and remove all the rust also inside the boxed sections".
So here we are...
View attachment 24683
The day the R4 has been taken from home

View attachment 24684
Disassembling

View attachment 24685
View attachment 24689
Twingo sunroof

View attachment 24686
View attachment 24687
Sanded chassis

View attachment 24688
Painted
Paiting it already? I think you forgot to weld it :D , looks like it is in very good nick. My one was just a pile of rust .

Paiting it already? I think you forgot to weld it :D , looks like it is in very good nick. My one was just a pile of rust .
You're absolutely right Domsky, I'm not really able to weld and do any metal work, so I'm in the hand of an experienced professional, and I put all my faith in his hands. :o

I think he choose to paint it before welding just to avoid to leave the sanded metal in contact with the air.

There will be a second hand for sure later :D

Yesterday I bought the whole chassis floor from Melun, I hope it'll arrive soon.

It could be done that way too , decided to weld it first , and later blast it, i also got the floor from melun ;). Hopefully by next week i will be putting final coats of paint on it. What paint are you using? I use novol for classic cars line , epoxy primer and paint, great stuff !

It could be done that way too , decided to weld it first , and later blast it, i also got the floor from melun ;). Hopefully by next week i will be putting final coats of paint on it. What paint are you using? I use novol for classic cars line , epoxy primer and paint, great stuff !
Sorry I didn't see the message.
I asked for the products used but I don't remember right now the names.
They said the black paint in the previous images of the chassis isn't the final paint but just an epoxy layer.
They sanded and then covered with primer and epoxy.
Then welded, rust converter where appropriate and again primer epoxy and paint.

Back