Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1985 F6, now in Galicia

Been looking through milannouncios etc and local breakers for a different steering wheel, made a rod for my own back going with interior colour, so bored of looking at the black standard one that just didn’t do it for me saw a suitable cover, had some left over paint and wood effect from dash and heres the resultF1E17139-7BAB-4725-AA3D-F577E788C696.jpeg

Hoping the paint dulls and trim fades to match dash perfect, should do its the same tin and roll, got to remember to clean hands now before jumping in and starting when working on it now, but covid has pretty much drummed that into all our lives now anyway...

Few bit and bobs done over the past few weeks, mainly improving the camping arrangement in the back of van, washing machine packed up during lockdown, so after taking it apart and finding the repair would be more costly than a new one found a use for the top, cut it down a little and its now the new table after a bit of dressing up, larger size still goes but as seen it now has room to prepare stuff all in situ. sitting on opposite arch, found a space to store folding chair in giraffe roof space, same as space for chopping board and slate to protect top from heat of burner, also found some storage ‘boxes’ that fit on arch behind table, wasted space becomes storage for food etc. when camping.BF945652-A4C1-44D1-A031-80E477C17CA9.jpeg5BCFCC1D-301C-4540-9A1E-FCCCF0A95B29.jpegBF945652-A4C1-44D1-A031-80E477C17CA9.jpeg103652F4-A118-44DC-888C-1F8055A42F87.jpeg
On the battle of rattles made a new clamp up for the battery (previous owner fitted slightly larger incorrect one, was held down with a bit of fence wire!, but still passed ITV’s??), now bolted down with bracket, sits on rubber mat now too. Brightened up coil and bracket because it was dull. Also fitted clear tubing over gearstick as a try, has cut down gear leaver rattle in car, has also made change a LOT more positive, throw of lever inside car is shorter too.083D40C5-D229-4217-8E15-DBED4FDD575E.jpeg

Started to re-upholster the bed arrangement in van, basically an evolution of the original make up but instead of just it being just a material base its now made up of webbing, so it gives a lot more support when lying on it, heres a photo of it naked and up in position.73E5B95B-71B1-4865-BED4-71809014EE80.jpeg
The frame is 3pieces hinged each side, to assemble I put the front legs into brackets, then unfold the bed, this is done with the table initially down, then unfold bed length onto resting table, bringing it up to usable position with the bed lengths onto and clipped into frame above table, when these are clipped in ( the deadbolts in photo) then its just a case of bringing the horizontal bar up on hinge on front support leg up to horizontal to tension bed this end, the little hardwood/rubber blocks in photo tensioning and holding frame at rear end of bed. Do have some lined material that will cover the now webbed base, it has made the bed when up surprisingly comfortable for its size.few more of up, it really does just take a few mins. to change from van interior into a camper for one, pleased before now properly chuffed. ( the material wont be just thrown over, thats the next on list of taking the original design that worked to working really well..)

• E18B550F-09C3-4059-8CC6-CD7E58B84AFD.jpeg
    E18B550F-09C3-4059-8CC6-CD7E58B84AFD.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 7CEE375C-9FDF-4047-8686-2CFF47D8C520.jpeg
    7CEE375C-9FDF-4047-8686-2CFF47D8C520.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 4
What have I started now....5B82AD11-12E2-400C-A144-12D9F5E2163C.jpeg067C256D-BE43-436D-80F1-9766D2FADC3F.jpeg

Now do I stop at the wings, ( drivers side had already had repair, passenger side looks to of been changed), or go round the whole van,just picked up a massive 250g (!) pot of filler, see how far that gets me, passenger side needs more tappety-tap yet, problem is I just look at the bonnet and see weeks....

Another lockdown,!?!, back to life being like living on a shit 50’s sci-fi B movie set with no budget for plasticine animated monsters, so lets just make the demons invisible...
Mr Magoo has become my world of cartoons, going back to childhood ‘Rhubarb and Custard’ now, together with the most annoying theme music on the walk to garage to continue what has become a slightly larger than originally planned ‘just tidy up the wings’....EA880CEB-36C2-4AFA-9644-1B47568462ED.jpeg2618ED1C-97DD-42E5-BD2A-E211C657A5DA.jpeg
Door is fun, been scraped, hit by a post and distorted where mirror fixes ( door mirror stems on F6’s must be the most over engineered part of the van, door will buckle before stem bends..), new door would of been easier, but wheres the fun in being a parts changer..
So the end of one side is nearly there, hopefully by end of weekend it will be onto the other side, then bonnet.
As previously mentioned been looking to make an awning up for rear door area when being used for camping trips ( when we are allowed to again), because I have decided to go this far with the rest of body and the rear door looks as if it will provide its own few hours of entertainment, had a thought, really open to any thoughts or input, why not fix the door to the giraffe and make it a gulwing F6, tailgate would act as said awning ( ok shaded area to sit under).
More entertainment!, looking at it thinking of making some bracing plates from giraffe to tailgate, then folding down gutter from giraffe and welding to door. Anyone got any idea of a suitable donor for lock and struts ( thinking Transit/Vito, in thought process stage, but as said input welcome..

Well bit more progress, most of the worst side done and in primer, will let it settle for a week or two before block flatting for top coat incase of any sinkage in any of the filler work ( first time using products here, want to make sure its not like some I’ve used in bodyshops before paint in UK), pleased with work, especially because its all been hand apart from an electric drill used for initial to the metal prep.,although van is rust free and straight it did have its fair share of little dings, after all its a 36 year old workhorse.
Here are some photosED8CAF86-B64C-4348-A517-D1CE4019F41B.jpeg
Although the door has proved to be a bitB179DE29-0384-4E7F-A80E-A275A3E4F880.jpeg
In primerA70FF6F4-8FEE-4CC3-994C-B87BD7ABB0AE.jpeg
2nd coat, time to move round, its being done in sections as so I can keep it relatively road worthy ( ie wheels, bumper,go, but now this side is done the repairs needed other side don’t really need it to be up in the air to make it easier to work on. Top of door might need return visit, but I will wait to flat 1st, its so much easier to see true lines when all in one colour, the original colour is a bit like white, great at hiding a multitude of sins unless your looking really close.50B832A8-C087-47D6-ACBF-DCFFA1E03271.jpeg

Nic
Rear brakes flexes done, would say ‘ fiddley’ is an apt description. Same time again cleaned arch areas to see what I’m dealing with, which is luckily no visable rust whatsoever and what appears to be factory paint.
Gave engine bay quick once over,checking all the vacum hoses, fuel lines etc., got an ITV test coming up at 2.00pm today, so I see if I have any problems I’ve overlooked ( running as lean as I can get it atm;)).
Also need to change thread title from ‘ Now in Galicia ‘ to Mr Magoo, the registration gave it its own name, fits with the dull overcoat paint colour ( next thing to be addressed when through ITV) and the enjoyfull way it bumbles round the countryside here.
Heres some pics..View attachment 21854View attachment 21855View attachment 21856View attachment 21857View attachment 21858
e condition overall. Looks like a cracking little car, you've done well!

‘Few minor age related parking knocks and dings’9B98F243-F9B1-4C2A-A390-4F02FF6F5C3D.jpeg

Left hand side, now bonnet and back door.
Something I have done is change the handles over, driver for passenger etc, this way the chrome is good on surface visible to eye unless your looking for a 100 point concourse car and the judges are on the floor on their backs.

Side in primer. Do think they look so much better without the ‘Mickey Mouse’ style door original fasa mirrors.88A5398E-892B-412E-9353-7BFFCA9B689D.jpeg6F922863-A7BF-4310-8B2C-87F22465D59D.jpeg
Its getting a pair of these ( when they cross the Atlantic)

Few more from today, awaiting material funds so haven’t been able to get round to bonnet which is next on list, started sanding it to see highs/lows, photo shows it got more in common with the Atlantic backdrop than a smooth, curvy shiny it hopes to one day become again, happy with sides though, hand blocked with 220 atm, will finish window surround areas when window come out for paint, which may be a while yet, but sorely tempted to matt lacquer when its all final prepped!21CD1052-11C0-4E41-A2D3-9CFF5699EF77.jpeg05AE0314-89F8-4C88-BF87-D6978F9083B4.jpeg79429C7E-1698-43D0-B733-9B8DD1BF4926.jpeg3C9393F1-067F-4968-A64B-BBD653A3BF7E.jpeg22AE071A-3910-460D-BF6F-9C8226CEA101.jpeg

Took some time to arrive, but worth wait, quality is excellent, booked for ITV 1pm today, been waiting on mirrors for ITV requirement....driving about for ITV checks was thinking of moving mirrors down frame a bit, but where they are now stops(or alters ) the wind noise from roof rack, its gone until 95km!, so they are staying put where they are now, more luck than judgment, but they work for me.

67080ADD-1800-47D5-9D41-05D2D2A581BD.jpeg5ED1DBCF-C56A-4A3D-9748-9DA4FCD24038.jpeg

Congratulations on getting through the ITV.

Ours passed its MOT on Tuesday, having been off the road (SORN) for over a year. I had changed the oil and realised the odometer hadn't moved on from when I last did it :(

Should be able to start getting out and about a bit more now :)

Few more from today, awaiting material funds so haven’t been able to get round to bonnet which is next on list, started sanding it to see highs/lows, photo shows it got more in common with the Atlantic backdrop than a smooth, curvy shiny it hopes to one day become again, happy with sides though, hand blocked with 220 atm, will finish window surround areas when window come out for paint, which may be a while yet, but sorely tempted to matt lacquer when its all final prepped!View attachment 28137View attachment 28138View attachment 28139View attachment 28140View attachment 28141
What a little beauty & stacks of character too! Don't see those here in Portugal; or for matter any F4's which are really rare now. I could really do with one to replace my GTL; we'll see. Good to see the ocean there - due to lockdown we have'nt been for some time; but have access to many river beaches on the Rio Zezere. Saude amigo.

Thanks for kind comments, bigjobbins, there do seem to be still quite a few of these still around on the spanish millanouncios site, although it is noticeable that the numbers advertised are on the decline, together with the inevitable price hiking that comes with a shrinking pool of available good examples. Good luck on search, but importantly enjoy your 4!
Best

Well after an eventful escapade involving a wild boar and much time finding out that these come under ‘ act of god’ and are not covered by insurers ( unless you find the group that was hunting them within a 48 hour period, approach the men with loaded shotguns an say ‘ Hey, you owe me money’ after a month or two of hibernation decided to see what my pocket has to find to repair, so stripped of faulty parts here it is539D0BB2-06D2-4EF7-AEE5-C3321159F60B.jpeg

Accident happened literally just coming of a motorway, 12.00 am, engine was hot, damage is bonnet, hasnt touched wings, destroyed radiator, fan, twisted all of the radiator supports, bumper, brakets, grill, destroyed lights etc, chassis inner wings and front panel survived well.
Currently searching for best prices for replacement parts, although suspect it will return to road with a bonnet without secondary grill under existing ( cant really quantify the extra €100 for one with)
Whilst searching for boar stupidly left van running( can only put this down to shock), now when in garage checking to see just what I do have to repair/replace did a compression check on no 1 and 4 cylinders, van starts still but I have low compression on no4, before I pull engine out and just go for full rebuild is it possible ( always look on the bright side of life!) that due to stupidly leaving it running whilst looking for injured animal the the valves burnt, or am I hoping too much.
Any advice, even worst case scenario appreciated.
Can the head be taken of in situ, or is all engine/box out work?

Hi Ian
Very sorry to hear about the accident - hope the F6 is up and running soon.
Maybe you've already seen this:

MIL ANUNCIOS.COM - Capo Renault 4L

It's difficult to tell from the photos how straight it is, but I thought it'd be worth passing on.
You can remove the head with the engine in situ.
Good luck!

Hi Andy,
Thanks for heads up on bonnet, saw it and am tempted, does look good in photo but is it me or does the lower grill look slightly out of line ( saying that if it wasnt for mechanical woes it would currently be being shipped to me!, there is also a very straight but dull paint red rear door currently on same sight)..
Taken head off, gasket between water pump and head/block had failed, going to put plugs back in and fill chambers with petrol to see if valves are seating correctly tomorrow, heres a few photos if the more experienced could pass any glaring defects on it would be appreciated..67B24A10-0F1A-4691-A1A2-DEBCB0DEAEB7.jpeg7CBE3A5F-DFED-4F58-9362-AF05EA379F06.jpegBBF6A28D-7A9E-465C-8F9E-8463455A12F1.jpeg9F9695C6-D9FD-4315-AB1D-0BB83B55B625.jpeg

Do intend to have the head given a light skim before reassembly. Thanks guys.

Ps. Marks on piston tops are me using fingers to see if I could feel any play and see how ‘dirty’ they were...

Back