Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTL from Portugal

Evening all,

Nice travel pics @Neil :)

@JdeW no idea what became of that goat, but I’m sure he had a sore rump in the morning

Hi @Prospector , thanks!

@laxeian after watching Salvage Hunters we’re feeling better about leaving our goat-scoop in situ for now...

Not looked at the forum this week, looking forward to catching up now - best wishes all, Simon.

The ‘goat-scoop’ has a great personal story/adventure behind it! A perfect one will just be a worry every time you need to do a bit of maintenance, or inadvertently put your shopping on by mistake coming out of supermarket looking for keys, or leaning on for that perfect ‘ Me and my car ‘ photo :)

Hello all,
Having given João a wash, wax, vacuum and tyre-wall buff at the weekend, it seemed a good time for a quick photographic walk round the car.
He’s a Portuguese spec GTL from 1985, and I think pretty much as he left the factory. I’m interested how the spec differed between markets, as there seem to be quite a lot of detail differences from French/ English/ Spanish cars of the same age.
Let’s see what I can see, sure I’ll miss a few...

So... chrome bumpers and black grille (goat-scoop optional extra,.,)
C5246AFA-A66A-4BB6-9713-4DD9AFA2D8CE.jpeg

Mine has black plastic (or maybe anodised) waistline trim, and chrome cill trim - not quite sure if they’re both standard. Wing mounted radio aerial just visible - think the French cars had roof mounted?
3F1F14E8-B6D8-47AC-942C-419895DD601B.jpeg

Bumpers have rubber overriders. The bottom section has broken off 3 of the 4
B4AFE094-BDC9-4564-8CFF-08216B0731B3.jpeg

Mud flaps and tow bar added by last owner I think, but happy to have them :)

142D2784-7311-4322-82A6-5608263D3DBD.jpeg

Vinyl trim, front seats with head restraints. Wasn’t expecting them to recline
D18C4F01-A62A-4399-9ABD-A40B8C8298E4.jpeg

Grey late pattern dash. Last owner fitted water temp gauge visible to left of binnacle. Carpet is domestic loop pole cut to fit I think, fitted over OEM rubber mats either new or very-well cleaned 93DA991E-767A-4F43-A26F-BD3346BC981C.jpeg

Back seat has a belt on one side only, non inertia reel - aftermarket fitment?
EAED624C-9339-401B-ACA4-C0FCAF1BD416.jpeg

Headlining isn’t the lovely diamond pattern item I’ve seen on some cars
744D15A9-BE8A-4B95-A5A8-F1D32DEE773D.jpeg

Joao also came with a Blaupunkt cassette radio playing through speakers in the foot wells, which definitely looks period, but I guess isn’t original as not in centre console.
I love the umbrella handbrake - such a shame they stopped fitting the bench seats to match.
12V outlet tucked under dah another welcome addition; we can charge our crap as we drive :)
B40D18BD-94F9-4287-A6AC-337A1A090CFF.jpeg

Lastly - quick peek in front, FASA spec air filter - after reading another thread here I now have hose envy :laughing:
71045A81-E15C-4F33-8B8B-8E717BA59012.jpeg

Always interested to see what others have got...
Best wishes, Simon,

(Whoops)

...I see you have the same grille, bumpers and side trims as me, looks like the same upholstery too. R5 pattern wheels I think I’ve seen on Spanish cars - I prefer these to the ones I have. Hope you’re having a good time with yours!

Best wishes, Simon.

(Whoops)

...I see you have the same grille, bumpers and side trims as me, looks like the same upholstery too. R5 pattern wheels I think I’ve seen on Spanish cars - I prefer these to the ones I have. Hope you’re having a good time with yours!

Best wishes, Simon.

We did have a splendid time turning heads wandering home (Wales).
This little beauty never made it to our base on the Algarve. Purchased in Sintra, wandered along the old smuggler's tracks to the Spanish border, stocked-up with provisions at Placencia then mixed autovia with "A" roads all the way to Ouistreham. Couldn't resist going "off-piste" to re-visit the Loire Valley. This was our 2nd 845cc and she served us well before becoming someone else's pride and joy. A lady vet in West Wales,
N.SN858559.JPG

Door armrests/handles should be original and never fitted on any French R4, I have seen them again on a Spanish built R4.
Joao should also have single circuit master cylinder and manually adjustable rear brakes, albeit being equipped with disc brakes up front.
Check your carburettor, too - is it the well known Zenith 28IF but fitted with an accelerator pump?

Check your carburettor, too - is it the well known Zenith 28IF but fitted with an accelerator pump?
Ohw, that Zenith 28IF - V05085 with accelerator pump on my GTL just the plain Zenith 28IF is fitted.
http://www.diegoyourself.com/index.php?article=mecanique_carbu_zenith28if nice tutorial here.

Back seat has a belt on one side only, non inertia reel - aftermarket fitment?
View attachment 22948
Picture isn't clear enough but looks fine to me.
Rear seat belt strongpoints (3 points) came standard but the rear seat belts where optional.
Achtergordels.jpg

Evening all,

Hello @angel - interesting thanks, I didn’t know the armrests were special to Spain/ Portugal. Yes I have the single circuit disc/ drum brakes. There’s a pic of my carb further up the thread, I think it’s a plain 28IF - but the previous owner fitted this so the original may have been different.

Hello Joop @JdeW - thanks for the parts diagram, didn’t know that was standard. I’ve only got a rear belt on one side - will have another look for the upper mounting hole on the opposite side.

Best wishes, Simon.

The factory rear seat belt fitting points were located further back, on the tailgate surround frame. The quarterlight surround is not too strong a place for fitting seat belts...
I would not be surprised to see that your R4 doesn't have this feature - Spanish built cars had a lot of "early" components. Can you post a picture of the rear inner wings and boot floor with the mat lifted, to check if the lower seat belt mounting points are there?

FASA build R4's are indeed a bit perculiar as @angel states.
A small R4 seat belt history;
1970 From april all models of Renault 4 receive seat belts in the front.
1972 On the berlines the anchorage points for the rear safety belts make their appearances.
1976 The seatbelts at the front are retractable
1978 Seatbelts are mounted at the rear of all models.

My 1987 (April) Portuguese R4 has 4 retractable seat belts with the rear ones fitted between the rear door and rear window. Bench seat in the rear and cloth upholstery. Bumpers have no over riders and are painted black. No rear screen demister so I guess this was an extra. Arm rests all round and 1100cc engine. It is also bright green!! Wheels are after market alloys which I don't like but it came like that!

More interesting info, thank you gents!

@angel I’ll have a look for those mounting points when I can, but Joao is currently away on holiday at Renospeed :)

Hello @Kermit4 - I love the green, guessing it wasn’t a factory colour?

Best wishes, Simon.

@JdeW: All of these apply to French market models. On all R4s officially imported here, front seat belts were standard fitment on 1978 and later cars, when they became obligatory by the law for all cars.

Back