Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

I've ordered a new chassis for the F4 van!

Azazello

habitué
just as a rough meter, if your heating is fueled by wood, how much wood are you using per season?
(I understand this may be not the place for such a conversation)

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Staff member
just as a rough meter, if your heating is fueled by wood, how much wood are you using per season?
(I understand this may be not the place for such a conversation)
My wood burner is only to make one room feel warmer in the winter. I get through between 1 and 2 cubic metres a year.

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Staff member
Claude is taking up too much space in bits so I'm planning to weld up the body before putting the new chassis underneath. There are a lot of bits of rust that look really small and end up being big when the rust has been cut out. All of them are fiddly too so I'll not get rid of all the rust.

For everything the rust is where the spray-on sealant had gaps. I've ordered a lot of new sealant so will hopefully get everything sealed underneath while it is accessible.

These bits were fine when I got the van. Maybe ought to have ordered the sealant earlier.

rear-wing-rust.jpg
rear-wing-cut-away.jpg

Last edited:

Azazello

habitué
Claude is taking up too much space in bits so I'm planning to weld up the body before putting the new chassis underneath. There are a lot of bits of rust that look really small and end up being big when the rust has been cut out. All of them are fiddly too so I'll not get rid of all the rust.

For everything the rust is where the spray-on sealant had gaps. I've ordered a lot of new sealant so will hopefully get everything sealed underneath while it is accessible.

View attachment 28081
I have the same rotten corner on mine!

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Staff member
I have the same rotten corner on mine!
That corner seems especially a pain. Normally you would cut out to metal where there is no sign of rust, but there are double skinned panels running right the way up and just a little rust between them all the way. I guess the repair will be better than it was but I can see this as a place where rust will come back.

petak

Enthusiast
It looks like F4 that i am triing to relive has same rust spot
IMG_20210205_162059.jpg

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Staff member
Shotblasting cabinet set up under the tent. I'm planning to shotblast and preserve the rare bits.

van-and-chassis.jpg

The crazy thin front brake shields came up OK with only a few little holes. I didn't prime them after blasting as my paint had dried up. I've got thinners now so will give them a quick blast again and get some of the 95% zinc Bilt Hamber primer on them. That stuff is really effective.

brake-shield.jpg

Making patches for the rusty bits. The welder is heavy and I don't want to take it out more often than I need to. Figure if I prepare the patches first then the welder will only need to go out once. Lots of heat and rushing the welding would distort the big flat panels so maybe a little on one patch then move to the next before eventually coming back again. I'll have about 12 patches so that could work well.

sill-patch2.jpg

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Staff member
Suspension parts got mostly cleaned up and painted today. I just wire brushed them and painted them badly so it was a quick job. The grey primer is Bilt Hamber Electrox 95% zinc which has been very effective on the Gordini. The black is Rustolium just because I had a tin knocking around.

Planning to replace bearings, joints, brakes, and brake lines while everything is apart, but I can't find sensibly priced Bendix calipers. The old ones worked when they came off so will hopefully be OK.

suspension-parts.jpg

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Staff member
I've done a bit again. My welding is getting worse because I can't see anything. I must get some new glasses. I want to finish off the body welding this weekend so I can get the chassis out of the way. It's hot and sunny and the chassis is blocking the MG in.

I've cut some rusty metal away from the rear seatbelt mountings. Ideally the whole reinforcement panel would need to come off to clean the rust between it and the body. Has anyone done that and was it a pain? I'm half tempted to patch it up every few years.

rear-light-repair.jpg

sill-cover-repair.jpg

seatbelt-mount-repair.jpg

Azazello

habitué
Mlinar brothers have that panel if you want to change it whole.
Is the price reasonable?
I've seen replacement panels for this part, don't remember where, but they were really expensive!