Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

I've ordered a new chassis for the F4 van!

just as a rough meter, if your heating is fueled by wood, how much wood are you using per season?
(I understand this may be not the place for such a conversation)

just as a rough meter, if your heating is fueled by wood, how much wood are you using per season?
(I understand this may be not the place for such a conversation)
My wood burner is only to make one room feel warmer in the winter. I get through between 1 and 2 cubic metres a year.

Claude is taking up too much space in bits so I'm planning to weld up the body before putting the new chassis underneath. There are a lot of bits of rust that look really small and end up being big when the rust has been cut out. All of them are fiddly too so I'll not get rid of all the rust.

For everything the rust is where the spray-on sealant had gaps. I've ordered a lot of new sealant so will hopefully get everything sealed underneath while it is accessible.

These bits were fine when I got the van. Maybe ought to have ordered the sealant earlier.

rear-wing-rust.jpg
rear-wing-cut-away.jpg

Last edited:
Claude is taking up too much space in bits so I'm planning to weld up the body before putting the new chassis underneath. There are a lot of bits of rust that look really small and end up being big when the rust has been cut out. All of them are fiddly too so I'll not get rid of all the rust.

For everything the rust is where the spray-on sealant had gaps. I've ordered a lot of new sealant so will hopefully get everything sealed underneath while it is accessible.

View attachment 28081
I have the same rotten corner on mine!

I have the same rotten corner on mine!
That corner seems especially a pain. Normally you would cut out to metal where there is no sign of rust, but there are double skinned panels running right the way up and just a little rust between them all the way. I guess the repair will be better than it was but I can see this as a place where rust will come back.

It looks like F4 that i am triing to relive has same rust spot
IMG_20210205_162059.jpg

Shotblasting cabinet set up under the tent. I'm planning to shotblast and preserve the rare bits.

van-and-chassis.jpg

The crazy thin front brake shields came up OK with only a few little holes. I didn't prime them after blasting as my paint had dried up. I've got thinners now so will give them a quick blast again and get some of the 95% zinc Bilt Hamber primer on them. That stuff is really effective.

brake-shield.jpg

Making patches for the rusty bits. The welder is heavy and I don't want to take it out more often than I need to. Figure if I prepare the patches first then the welder will only need to go out once. Lots of heat and rushing the welding would distort the big flat panels so maybe a little on one patch then move to the next before eventually coming back again. I'll have about 12 patches so that could work well.

sill-patch2.jpg

Suspension parts got mostly cleaned up and painted today. I just wire brushed them and painted them badly so it was a quick job. The grey primer is Bilt Hamber Electrox 95% zinc which has been very effective on the Gordini. The black is Rustolium just because I had a tin knocking around.

Planning to replace bearings, joints, brakes, and brake lines while everything is apart, but I can't find sensibly priced Bendix calipers. The old ones worked when they came off so will hopefully be OK.

suspension-parts.jpg

I've done a bit again. My welding is getting worse because I can't see anything. I must get some new glasses. I want to finish off the body welding this weekend so I can get the chassis out of the way. It's hot and sunny and the chassis is blocking the MG in.

I've cut some rusty metal away from the rear seatbelt mountings. Ideally the whole reinforcement panel would need to come off to clean the rust between it and the body. Has anyone done that and was it a pain? I'm half tempted to patch it up every few years.

rear-light-repair.jpg

sill-cover-repair.jpg

seatbelt-mount-repair.jpg

Mlinar brothers have that panel if you want to change it whole.
Is the price reasonable?
I've seen replacement panels for this part, don't remember where, but they were really expensive!

I haven't done anything on the van for nearly a year. I've finally unboxed the chassis. It has stripes where the e-coat has faded in the sun. I want to mount the body on the chassis this weekend so I'm finishing off the welding on the body.

There was a hole in the bulkhead behind the reinforcement bracket that bolts to the chassis. That was inconvenient as the bulkhead panel was sandwiched between the reinforcement and the panel behind the engine. So reinforcement bracket off and a repair nearly ready to butt weld to the bulkhead.

chassis-out-of-crate.jpg inner-bulkhead-patch.jpg

Great to see what you are doing and how you do it. Very useful and instructive.
Noticed an MGA in one of the photos. What is the story on that?

I've started fitting the new chassis. Ran into a couple of problems. One of the rear suspension bolts didn't fit through the hole. A hand file worked for making the hole bigger.

The front of the body doesn't fit at all well. With the bottom of the A-pillars sitting on the chassis sill sections the bulkhead is about 10mm too high. I can get the heater console bolts to line up with some assistance but the bulkhead is very stiff in the middle so I can't close the gap. I think I'll end up using spacers and a lot of sealant.

front-chassis-fit.jpg

There is trouble on the outer part of the bulkhead too. The return at the top with the bolt holes for the body is at least 10mm shorter than the original. They have provided an M8 hole but the flange is so short there is no room for a nut. I can line the inner hole up but the outer hole has no chance of lining up. I think I'll need to extend the flange.

outer-bulkhead.jpg

All of the other body mounting holes line up well - it's only the front that is a pain. With the front bolted as tight as it will go the inner and outer wings fit OK so it shouldn't be noticeable from outside.

I've started fitting the new chassis. Ran into a couple of problems. One of the rear suspension bolts didn't fit through the hole. A hand file worked for making the hole bigger.

The front of the body doesn't fit at all well. With the bottom of the A-pillars sitting on the chassis sill sections the bulkhead is about 10mm too high. I can get the heater console bolts to line up with some assistance but the bulkhead is very stiff in the middle so I can't close the gap. I think I'll end up using spacers and a lot of sealant.

View attachment 30348

There is trouble on the outer part of the bulkhead too. The return at the top with the bolt holes for the body is at least 10mm shorter than the original. They have provided an M8 hole but the flange is so short there is no room for a nut. I can line the inner hole up but the outer hole has no chance of lining up. I think I'll need to extend the flange.

View attachment 30349

All of the other body mounting holes line up well - it's only the front that is a pain. With the front bolted as tight as it will go the inner and outer wings fit OK so it shouldn't be noticeable from outside.
Not fun when buying somting to save time and effort. Seems like the manufacturing jig wasn't correct. Hope you can sort it somehow and still being happy.
Seen a lot of old Porsche 911 targa restored with new doorsills and the targa roof is some cm to long or short. They have paid the bills for sheet metal restauration paint etc, etc and when asambly the roof don't fit.

The rest of the chassis seems really good and is well worth buying. It's worth knowing about this issue so it can be given a bit of thought. There does seem to be a difference in height at the front compared to the Rodeo, but mine might have a stack up of tolerances because I've done some welding on the bulkhead too, mostly on the left side. But also worth bearing in mind the body is only there to keep the rain off so just needs not to fall off.

With the body resting on the butyl sealant strip (6mm to 8mm thick) but not yet bolted down the gap at the front runs all the way across the car and looks a bit frightening.

big-gap.jpg

The gap pulled down more than I expected by tightening the bolts a lot. Butyl strip would have been enough to seal the front of the bulkhead but the piece in the middle under the heater needed something thicker so I used PU sealant.

sealant.jpg

Here's my adjustment for the tip of the chassis that wasn't long enough.

extension.jpg

With the bulkhead pulled down on the bolts it now has a bend at the bottom and the inner wing doesn't quite fit. It did fit when the body was mounted to the old chassis. It doesn't really matter and shouldn't be noticeable when the car is bolted back together.

bend.jpg

Looks like I have this week off so more Claude! The bonnet fits perfectly. The wings fit badly but that's entirely my bad. I've done a lot of welding on the inner and outer wings and they are out of shape. I'm missing mounting holes where I replaced metal so I'll drill some holes for the screws and do a trial fit. The inner and outer wings are really bendy and very adjustable so I should be able to make them fit before removing them and fitting them properly with sealant.

claude-bonnet.jpg

Back