Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

I've ordered a new chassis for the F4 van!

It's good to work out how (some of) the water was getting in. :) I think it's an improvement to rust proofing after 1985 that didn't quite work.

The floor was always wet and some water gets in through the tailgate area too. It's an easy repair if a bit fiddly to cut the bad stuff out.

My 1968 R4 had a hole in the same place on the n/s, guess it has had a lot longer to rust through. I have found this car to be the least rust prone of all the R4s I have owned, the worst being the 1981 gtl I owned in 1985.

My 1968 R4 had a hole in the same place on the n/s, guess it has had a lot longer to rust through. I have found this car to be the least rust prone of all the R4s I have owned, the worst being the 1981 gtl I owned in 1985.

They added the plastic rustproofing around 1980 but didn't do it well and just trapped water so it was worse than the earlier treatments. The rustproofing got a lot better in 1985.

I repaired a front wing today. I've got a pair of new wings but I'll never match the colour of the van so planning to patch up the old ones.

Replaced the inner mountings and some of the edges. Pity there was such a big hole around the side repeater as otherwise it should just look like someone has painted rusty bits around the edges.

20200714_073552.jpg

20200714_141519.jpg

20200714_141316.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work the wing's looking sharp, welding thin metal is always a bit of a challenge :clapping:
And a bit of rust hmmmm either we make it new and shiny or we call it patina and leave it that way with a bit extra :D
4sqft Kit_JPEG_1200X1200-900x900.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea of spray on rust paint. But I'm going to need a tiny bit of filler to hide the weld line and maybe cover some distortion. I was planning to leave the repairs in red oxide primer. It will hopefully fade in sunlight.

3 of the wing panels done now. One to go. I'm thinking of flipping the channel at the top of the inner wings downwards so the mud doesn't collect there. The lip makes the area difficult to seal and it's the reason for all this welding.

20200715_143556.jpg

Last wing was quite satisfying. Only just enough metal left to guide the shape of the repair. The wing had held it's shape so I could cut enough out to get the rail in place, then cut the outer part out once the rail provided the shape. More curves up there than you expect. Worked really well but not finished yet. Should be accurate to the thickness of paint if I put the paint on thick enough :)

20200716_103313.jpg

20200716_114832.jpg

Figured I should do a trial fit of the repaired panels as there was a bit of guess work involved and I don't have a reference for the reinforcement panel on the right side wing.

Just rested them in place for now and they seem to blend in quite well. Quite pleased that the repairs aren't very noticeable. Will do a proper trial fit before removing the body.

20200717_175317.jpg

Finished off the wings after the trial fit. The flange on the top of the inner wing now faces downwards instead of upwards to get rid of the rust trap and make it possible to seal the top of the wing from underneath.

20200826_180542.jpg

You are doing it nicely....as always....

I love that roof rack. Would like one too!:D

Maybe i missed but can you say total cost for the new chassis delivered to your home.
Did you organized delivery or mellun did? What was price for the shipping?

If it is to much personal for you i will understand!

Thank you!

Maybe i missed but can you say total cost for the new chassis delivered to your home.
Did you organized delivery or mellun did? What was price for the shipping?

The chassis was 2149 euros
Having the chassis number stamped onto the chassis 50 euros
Packing and shipping to the UK was 592 euros

I'll replace all the usual brake and suspension parts while the car is apart so would expect to spend maybe another 1000 euros before I finish.

Doesn't make financial sense, but I like my van. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the value Malcolm - I was paid £4000 for my tatty old F6 after a little pressure on the insurers - 'average condition' they said :p

I wouldn't worry too much about the value Malcolm - I was paid £4000 for my tatty old F6 after a little pressure on the insurers - 'average condition' they said :p
Mine is going to look derelict :) All the rusty stuff is going back on.
I should probably take some photos from underneath at the MOT and revalue the insurance. It'll be a giggle presenting it at the MOT. I'm imagining 'oh no not this again' then everyone having a look when it's up on the ramp. :)

I took the old chassis off today. The rear suspension had completely detached in one corner. The front of the chassis is quite good in case anyone wants it before it gets scrapped.

I've only got the height to roll it backwards while the rear suspension is still fitted. Once that's off I can slide the chassis out forwards. It's rolled back for now for access so I don't have to work from underneath.

chassis-detached.jpgchassis-roll-out.jpgcrack.jpg

Back