Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ok it's beginning to look a lot like a project!

Melissa

Enthusiast
pistons wouldn't lift out of the top, the lower lug catches so decided to tale the whole lot out might as well go the whole hog eh!Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 21.56.58.pngScreenshot 2019-10-01 at 21.56.58.png

And I thought my Cleon engine was a sludge bucket but your Billancourt is in the lead :D
20170223_134259.jpg
Get that engine out and do a complete refurbish, there's a lot to be found on engine refurbishing in the projects section.
Good luck.

Last edited:
You are a brave person.
Good luck.
Thank you for all your encouraging words, I've read through most of your amazing rebuilds, Jurjenz, Harbourseal..all of you & your perseverance & hard work really has been an inspiration. It's kind of addictive too!! & hopefully by the end of it all I will know my way around & be able to keep her going for a long while yet.

did some work over the weekend, all pistons & sleeves out..all have FF4 but one, number 4 has FF4 7..see photos. It was this piston catching & I think the problem (maybe) rust inside the block (see label in photo) had made the liner move slightly (paper seals worn away & it caught at low revs, there is a slight area of roughness halfway up the lines (not much though) other than that all rings are in tact & not bad condition, I will put new ones in though! Does this sound like a plausible explanation, it was basically kind of catching at low revs & wouldn't idle smoothly.

• Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 21.30.04.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 21.30.04.png
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 4
btw that's gungky bubble wrap to protect those big rotating bits whilst I clean inside block! I don't have the equipment to take the engine out as just a hoist from a beam so no way of moving the car back once wheels are off...

• Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 10.34.51.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 10.34.51.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
pistons I mentioned (prob normal I'm guessing!) oh & that's a spare engine I took apart to give me some confidence & get to know what's what, was planning on rebuilding it but one piston is completely shot

• Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 21.30.25.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 21.30.25.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 21.30.31.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 21.30.31.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Impressive shed you have.
You have to make do with the possibility’s you have.

The liner seat looks quite good.
Keep it clean. The smallest blemish wil make it leak.
A sure way to seal it, is to pour some thinned down paint in between the liners and let it dry before you put the head back on.

Good luck on your project.
You are on right track.

Impressive shed you have.
You have to make do with the possibility’s you have.

The liner seat looks quite good.
Keep it clean. The smallest blemish wil make it leak.
A sure way to seal it, is to pour some thinned down paint in between the liners and let it dry before you put the head back on.

Good luck on your project.
You are on right track.
Thank you for the kind comments & advice, the spare engine I bought came with the normal zenith carb but he also gave me a cute little Solex one, like this photo I recall you mentioning these carbs Harbourseal, on a thread saying they were good, do you know what engine they go with? thanks

• Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 22.55.05.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 22.55.05.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Like Harbourseal suggested, keep it clean. Spend extra time cleaning that surface and you'll be happy when it doesn't leak.

I remember when I hoisted out my engine and then tried to push the car out of the way without the steering rack connected, the wheels turned in every direction except straight!:doh:

Like Harbourseal suggested, keep it clean. Spend extra time cleaning that surface and you'll be happy when it doesn't leak.

I remember when I hoisted out my engine and then tried to push the car out of the way without the steering rack connected, the wheels turned in every direction except straight!:doh:
oh blimey! I think I'm going to try & do it with the block in this time although haynes describe getting the sump back on as one of the worst jobs on a R4!! I don't have a ball joint splitter thingy or some other tool required either!!

I would make every effort possible to remove the engine from the car at this stage, just for (correctly) refitting and resealing the sump. If you are lucky you will be able to get the ball joints off without a splitter, apart from this no other special tool needed.

oh blimey! I think I'm going to try & do it with the block in this time although haynes describe getting the sump back on as one of the worst jobs on a R4!! I don't have a ball joint splitter thingy or some other tool required either!!
Use hammer, hit it couple of times in place shown on the picture, and the trackrod will pop out , do not hit the thread.

• 20191008_103419.jpg
    20191008_103419.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 3
I would make every effort possible to remove the engine from the car at this stage, just for (correctly) refitting and resealing the sump. If you are lucky you will be able to get the ball joints off without a splitter, apart from this no other special tool needed.
thanks for advice, ok I'm going to go for it & get the engine out I'll try find a ball joint splitter..google translate permitting! I'll prob do a much better job of fitting the pistons & getting the block cleaned up too.

Back