Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ok it's beginning to look a lot like a project!

yep we left the EU!
Ooooooh, I would really be glad leaving that institute, 78% of the Dutch people was against it but sadly it was forced down our throats.
The less I see that EUranus star the better it is.

Last edited:
I have a spare 839 nos engine & it has the other style chain tensioner on, & they do not appear to be interchangeable as there are a different number of screws on the end of the plate, ie chain end, is this normal? like they would just put a different tensioner on some engines? Also my pistons will not enter my sleeves from the top, I have compared them with the pistons from the other 839 06 engine & there is an everso slightly wider bit of metal that catches on the sleeve, anyone else had this experience?

This chain tensioner is for a Cleon engine. Not for your tiny billancourt
This is the one you need to get.
https://www.renault4onderdelen.nl/W...285/Kettingspanner-distributie-mot-845cc.html
Maybe your other small engine had its liners and pistons changed for the ones in a 845 engine.
This is my original engine that has the Cleon chain tensioner, taken out of my 782cms Billancourt, I thought it was very strange, and when I pull the tensioner off the chain it runs really freely, the tensioner might have been the problem all along. It doesn't look possible to change it for the right one as there aren't the same holes

This chain tensioner is for a Cleon engine. Not for your tiny billancourt
This is the one you need to get.
https://www.renault4onderdelen.nl/W...285/Kettingspanner-distributie-mot-845cc.html
Maybe your other small engine had its liners and pistons changed for the ones in a 845 engine.

The one in the renault4onderdelen link looks like the Cleon tensioner. That's the one I am familiar with from the Renault 5 engines. I'm not familiar with the one on the photo above, but haven't taken apart a Billancourt engine before.

The one in the renault4onderdelen link looks like the Cleon tensioner. That's the one I am familiar with from the Renault 5 engines. I'm not familiar with the one on the photo above, but haven't taken apart a Billancourt engine before.
I've got 3 billencourt engines, exactly the same 839 06, 2 have the correct tensioner, mine has the round one, but I don't think I can fit the correct one as they have different holes, might rebuild the other good engine

Can you take a picture of your engines please I’m beginning to think that you haven’t got a billancourt engine but a 854 cc Cleon.
Where is the petrol pump situated
Close to the flywheel? Or close to the distribution chain?

the tensioner from Renault 4 onderdelen is the billancourt tensioner. The one on Mellisa’s post is a later type for the supercinq and the larger Cleon’s from the 80s

the tensioner from Renault 4 onderdelen is the billancourt tensioner. The one on Mellisa’s post is a later type for the supercinq and the larger Cleon’s from the 80s
the petrol pump is near the timing chain

this is the engine i bought for spares, with the correct tensioner on Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 16.03.28.png

but my tensioner is different and also my pistons will not enter my sleeves from the top, the ones from the 2nd engine do, just that straightening up then down they plop, mine have a slightly wider bit of metal that catches preventing them from straightening up, comparing tension on the chains, mine is so very tight, on the other one it's loose & the chain runs free, mine the chain is really under tension, feels like too much, but then I'm new to these chains!

Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 16.14.07.png
here's the end I don't have the same holes to put the correct one on unless they are under the plate?I have no idea!

Back