Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Other projects not R4 related

:D
That's already there Adam,
Here the self build garage which can house 2 complete R4's (L, TL or GTL) or just 1 R4 in full restoration like mine, the future terrace is still a mess like the garden in the previous picture.
View attachment 25870

And then there is the "drive" measuring 10 x 4 meters enough room for 4 more of our beloved cars, again still a mess and that beautiful botch rebar steel fence will be replaced with a time period correct cast iron one, complete with the rust we all love.
View attachment 25871
Is the garage a kit garage or one that you put together. Looks good. Are the double gates at the front of your drive standard, available off the shelf?

Is the garage a kit garage or one that you put together. Looks good. Are the double gates at the front of your drive standard, available off the shelf?
No kit garage or any kind of COTS product.
The garage is a 100% self build, though the concrete, for the insulated 6 inch reinforced concrete floor, comes from the concrete plant, all the wood (Douglas-fir) from the sawmill 1 kilometer from my home, the double gates will be recycled and replaced by cast iron double gates, and I found the double heavy Merbau garage doors on ebay. All in all custom made so in my opinion it's better and cheaper then a kit thingy or contractor build :D

Beautiful result Joop! When will tha r4 be moved in?
Thanks Jurjen and yes finally after 2 years, this june she comes home :hug: but then garden landscaping starts first... so I still have to be patient on continuing the restoration

Judging by the pictures I'd see loads of garage possibilities and is that a weeping willow that wept for the lost roof?
I'm caught between planning regulations and building regulations for a garage there. Planning won't allow foundations in case they damage the willow. I could make it out of oak which is flexible and wouldn't need foundations, but building regs won't allow that because of fire risk. Tent seems the easiest option and the cars are reasonably well protected.

Over the last months I have been upgrading my bicycle.
I replaced the 27 gears derailleurs with a 14 gears Rohloff speedHub. The narrow 42mm tyres were replaced with wider 50mm Schwalbe marathon mondial tyres.
And today I finished the upgrade with a set of Magura HS33 hydraulic rimbrakes.
E203713D-4BCB-4AE9-8F47-F83C97BBD24A.jpeg
Before the upgrade after a trip to Kopenhagen.
0035AAA7-F2D1-4AF7-B6F2-67B586A65BC7.jpegAD41F607-B255-4996-BB64-A11CF5E76641.jpegC4D5D910-55AA-4EF4-92C4-B21627CB0501.jpeg24AA9C35-BEF8-4903-A974-7CC099698BFB.jpeg546E662F-96B3-47D9-8289-3844C46F61B1.jpegEB7B53C6-417B-4627-99EE-833D7F0CA0E3.jpeg5A2C71B3-065F-4286-AF89-D92219D8A7B7.jpeg
Now ready for the next big trip.
Unfortunately this years trip from Rennes up to Mont-Saint-Michel and past the invasion beaches up the French and Belgium Coast is shelved.
It will be a busy year next year

This lockdown has proved a godsend in making time available for those chores you always put off , but your wife always was at hand to remind you of. For the first time in 31 years we have two cars in the garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The B and Ronaldo the Renault are nestling in there, and there is still space to walk around the garage, something else I was never able to do. The back wall of the garage was well insulated with boxes of wine, brought back in case something like this lockdown might occur, but a worrying development is that its insulation value is reduced because as time goes on, I find that more and more boxes are empty, and that when I remove them I can see more and more of the rear wall brickwork. What can I do?

Replace the bottles with bottles of water - then insulation is maintained :clapping:
Water isn't wine, it freezes much quicker than wine, the water bottles will break, so insulation will disappear :D

Last edited:
Replace the bottles with bottles of water - then insulation is maintained :clapping:

Or..... replace with bottles of WINE.... It doesn't freeze (well, it does, but you'll not want to be in the garage when it's that cold!) and if you ever feel like a cool tincture while working on the cars.... problem solved!

Too hot to work outside this week. Got a big heavy beam down from 3m up by propping it up and cutting it into firewood with a reciprocating saw. Looking into turning the house back into a pub for a new career.

reciprocating-saw.jpg

... Looking into turning the house back into a pub for a new career.
A brew pub maybe? I could teach you as long as there's some equipement like;
A brew house (German brand of course)
20190111_110155.jpg

Some fermenters (20hl and or 40hl)
20190111_110228.jpg

Maturation room
20190111_110259.jpg

Maybe some processing equipement like centrifuging and pasteurisation..
20190111_110329.jpg
Etcetera, etc. :D

Too hot to work outside this week. Got a big heavy beam down from 3m up by propping it up and cutting it into firewood with a reciprocating saw. Looking into turning the house back into a pub for a new career.

View attachment 25941
Not a great time to be opening a pub but I would be very interested in some bespoke secondary glazing -Victorian style. Would you travel to Bath?

Incidentally, during lockdown I have been saying a lot of very overdue thank yous. I have clapped for carers, thanked the postie and everyone else who keeps the world turning.
Although I have not been much of a contributor here, I have been a regular visitor for many years. I would like to thank you, Malcolm, for making this possible. For sharing your enthusiasm and experience, some great photos that have been so useful (I have been using your restoration blog as a resource for discussions with body shops during my current restoration) and for the forum that has been such a help. I have also found the forum on your mig welding site invaluable lately for some advice on welding more exotic steels. It is a great commitment to do this work and we should all be very grateful to you. So:

THANK YOU MALCOLM!

You may have heard a rumour that I am building an electric Renault 4. It is true and work is progressing well. It has been my main lockdown activity, although it has turned out to be a huge task. I will start to post some progress soon.

Back