Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 L vs R4 S floor mats

Sepharad

Enthusiast
I need to replace the original floor mats in my 1988 R4 GTL. Fanzose sells mats for a R4 L and R4 S. Ummm is mine an L? And what is an S? There are minor differences visible in the picture.

Is there a superior mat available?

Although the rubber floor mats are original and I really like originallity, the rubber mats keep the moist (water) inside and between the mats and the floorpanel. There's no ventilation so there's the nr1 famous R4 rustspot.
I prefer the old fashioned woven coconut or sisal carpet without the modernday pvc or rubber back.
$_86.JPG

My GTL rubber mat looks like the one on the top right. It has the little rectangular cut out section at the base. But I have no idea why there is a round cut out where it fits to the centre consol.

The one on the top left has what is probably a cut out for a floor mounted handbrake and the little round hole at the top left position could be for a foot operated dip switch

It might be for the foot-operated windscreen washer pump?
It is for the foot-operated windscreen washer pump on LHD R4's.
Wonder if it is the oposite on RHD R4's.

Our LHD GTL (Slovenian) has a foot-operated windscreen washer pump.

I'm not sure if RHD R4s ever had this 'feature'?

Our LHD GTL (Slovenian) has a foot-operated windscreen washer pump.

I'm not sure if RHD R4s ever had this 'feature'?
So the RHD R4's weren't equiped with such a feature as a manual foot-operated windscreen washer pump?
Or are the weather conditions sufficient so that feature was skipped or available as an option :D

So the RHD R4's weren't equiped with such a feature as a manual foot-operated windscreen washer pump?
Or are the weather conditions sufficient so that feature was skipped or available as an option :D[/QUOTE
Or upside down mats instead of electric washes..

Or are the weather conditions sufficient so that feature was skipped or available as an option :D

I don't think RHD cars ever had that feature - you would have needed to take your foot off the throttle pedal to use it. Instead we had a small hand pump push on the dash in the TLs, then in the GTL we got a high-tech electrical pump.

My LHD had the footpump but wow it was inadequate so replaced with a new reservoir bottle, electric pump and switch. Gets lot more water in the screen now.

Yes indeed the footpump is totally inadequate. In my first GTL I also installed an electric pump and the switch came from a Renault(5) Express.
The Express light/direction indicator switch has a switch for the windscreen washer pump and it fits the same.

Yes indeed the footpump is totally inadequate. In my first GTL I also installed an electric pump and the switch came from a Renault(5) Express.
The Express light/direction indicator switch has a switch for the windscreen washer pump and it fits the same.
Oh might have to look to do the same, much tidier than my additional push button

The wiper stalk on my 85 fasa F6 has the washer funtion built into the stalk itself, down wiper 1 , down 2 fast , pull in any position wash , might be another option if your looking to take it away from push button, keeps all windscreen related things on one stalk.

Seems I'm even more of a grumpy old fart than I and others previously thought! Why? Because the Renault 4 windscreenwasher footpump is one of my favourite details, as is the thumbpump on my 1964 Zastava 750. Old school simplicity, but for me they work like a charm.

Seems I'm even more of a grumpy old fart than I and others previously thought! Why? Because the Renault 4 windscreenwasher footpump is one of my favourite details, as is the thumbpump on my 1964 Zastava 750. Old school simplicity, but for me they work like a charm.
I agree i would certainly not change the floor operated washer on my GTL, also with an electric pump i would have to fill the bottle more than once a year and that would be a chore.

Back