Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 restoration made in France

It's those details which makes a already impressive resto to a perfect one!
I have seen some nice restaurations and often it is a pity that the smallest details not have been done and it disturb the whole.
My enhusiasm also is adjacent to rabies:eek: but that is why one can do and do things, where an other only ponders:D:D

So keep on going beiing.. lashed...and do not hesitate to post your "crazy" details with pics etc.

Hello everybody,

David, I know that the the front torsion bars seem to be very too high, but they were never touched or dismantled, my friend Sylain told me when the car will make few kilometers the torsion bars will be at the good high... I really hope it because this look of 4WD car is not exactly my cup of tea :eek: :eek:

iMacThere4iAm and jeff, you can count on me to continue to be crazy with this kind of details... ;)

... my friend Sylain told me when the car will make few kilometers the torsion bars will be at the good high...

I seriously doubt that!
It's not like the common spring suspensions used on most cars where you see a considerable amount of seating after changing something on the suspension.
With the torsion bars there is almost no noticeable seating even when the torsion bars have been removed.

(I did lower my front a few months back and therefore had to completely remove the bars to re-set them. No seating at all even after that ...)
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3643&highlight=torsion+bar&page=3

But we will see ... ;)

David, you really afraid me :eek: :eek: If, after all this adventure, I have to remove the torsion bars, reajust them, etc... It would be frustrating and disappointed to start again (boring) mechanical operations :mad: :mad:

So... while waiting for the first try on the road, I continue to show you the following of the reassembly job; I started to clean all the carpets of the car, which are really dirty:
802 Tapis d'origine.jpg
The car will not be perfect ;) I decided to keep this one, memory of the fire in the wiring loom in 1998:
803 Souvenir incendie.jpg
I started the cleaning with hot water and a product called "Cif" which have the peculiarity to scratch the dirt:
804 Nettoyage Cif.jpg
Then always the same product "Holts", notice the difference before/after :cool:
805 Traitement produit Holts.jpg
The front carpet is now in position, it looks like a new one :D
808 Tapis avant reposés.jpg
I bought a special glu to fix the wheelhouse carpets, it allows the repositioning of the part contrary to the neoprene glue:
807 Colle Restom.jpg
817 Garnitures passages de roues.jpg
819 Garniture reposée.jpg
I also refit the spare wheels with naturally all the harware in new :rolleyes:
810 Eléments roue de secours.jpg
811 Roue de secours reposée.jpg

Snoopy, your standard of work is so good, the car is looking great. Angel is right, the torsion-bars won't settle with use, but not to worry, it's no big-deal to adjust them, so don't get wound-up about it. Wait until you've finished assembling the car then see how the ride height looks.

:( :( :( Hum... but... can you tell me why they are so high ? When I first saw the R4 GTL Clan which gave me its chassis, it was absolutly normal, whith correct heigh, I never touched the torsion bars during the restoration of the chassis, for the reason that I didn't want to have to adjust them after restoration ?????... Why they are so high now ?

Yes, I see from your restoration pictures that you didn't disturb the torsion-bars so it is a bit of a mystery I agree, but as I say wait until you have finished your great project and see how it sits then. You have quite a lot of parts to fit yet, bonnet, doors etc, all extra weight.

My guess is going partly to shock absorbers. It could be that adjustment now should be different due to new absorbers. Power of torsions is very weak in the area of low load.

The shock-absorbers don't actually effect ride height allez-y, only the ride of the vehicle. The torsion-bars will find their own height, so I think once Snoopy has replaced all the parts of his car it will regain its correct height.

Next placement of parts will surely affect the heights going down, but new shock absorbers are still more revolting against loading, although are not one-way like rear.

I think it is a case of "watch this space", and see how Snoopy's car settles down as he continues to fit parts. Carry on the good work my friend, and I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labours at Thenay next year perhaps.

David, you really afraid me :eek: :eek: If, after all this adventure, I have to remove the torsion bars, reajust them, etc... It would be frustrating and disappointed to start again (boring) mechanical operations :mad: :mad:

Alexandre, I re-read this thread (at least the first 6 pages) and you are right, you never touched the torsion bars (or removed anything of the suspension).
So even if I can't explain why the front is that high now, it should lower to normal when you are finished.

attachment.php

They are high because the car has been lifted off the ground. The suspension doesn't settle to it's normal position until it has rolled forwards a few metres. They should lower to normal height when you move the car.

Looks great!

They are high because the car has been lifted off the ground. The suspension doesn't settle to it's normal position until it has rolled forwards a few metres. They should lower to normal height when you move the car.

Looks great!

Thanks you Malcolm :D :D :D

Hi everybody :D

These days I reinstalled the back seat, after sanding it, I painted the back of the seat with two coats of black paint:
816 Dossier peint Rustol AP 60.jpg
Before installing the seat, I went to a scrapyard to find rear seatbelts, mine were sold or lost for a very long time... I found a GTL with its seatbelts, but looking at the condition of the body I had to use a hammer and a chisel to take one of these belts :eek:
820 Fixation ceinture pourrie.jpg
After cutting the rotten part with my grinder I carefully washed all the different parts and prepared them to fit on my car:
821 Eléments ceintures.jpg
822 Ceintures fixées.jpg
As I still like the small details, I put plastic covers on the head bolts at the rear of the body :cool:
823 Enjoliveur boulon.jpg
Then, the rear carpet and the back seat have been installed in the car:
825 Tapis reposé.jpg
826 Banquette en place.jpg
827 Coffre arrière.jpg
Another memory of the "old life" of the car are the holes I drilled in the rear parcel shelf in the nineties... it was the fashion to install a third rear stop light, to make the car more modern... Today they are hidden under two plastic covers :rolleyes:
829 Obturateurs.jpg
I also started the washing of the front seats, which are even dirtier than the rear one...
830 Nettoyage siège avant.jpg

Hi everybody, there are very good news... but before telling the most important of them, let me show the differents parts which have been refitted on the car...

Finally I finished the washing of the front seat, even one of them has a little damaged on the basis, they appear in good condition :cool:
832 Craquelure.jpg
834 Siège terminé.jpg
Then I sorted out all the hardware necessary to fit the doors on the car:
838 Pièces pour portières.jpg
After having stuck the weatherstrips the doors are ready to be fitted, please notice that I made this job on the bed, the only place I was sure the paint would be not crossed off :rolleyes:
850 Portières équipées.jpg
The first one to be fixed on the car was the right rear one, the regulation of the lock took me very long time before being satisfied of it, and of the distance with the body:
854 Repose porte arrière.jpg
I made the same job on the hatch, the strip was very hard and needed clamps during the drying of the glue:
860 Joint collé sur hayon.jpg
During this, I fitted the clutch cable and regulate it:
864 Réglage garde.jpg
And this part on the manifold:
866 Raccord chaleur posé.jpg
The fuel tank filler pipe was also very hard to adjust, but at the end it's also beautiful outside as inside :D
868 Goulotte reposée.jpg
869 Détail intérieur.jpg

Back