Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Restoration 1984 R4 GTL Rutger-peer

Did you find fitting the quarter windows easy? Please tell, and did you use any sealant?

Hey! Fitting the backwindows was easy. I did it with a piece of thread. I first laid the windows inside their rubbers, then put the piece of thread in the ridge of the rubber (so on the outside). Next I put that whole to the windowsill and made sure that both ends of the piece of thread were hanging on the inside of the sill.

Next you put a little pressure on the window and start pulling the rubber over the edge of the sill, using the piece of thread. It works best when you pull the thread a little in a steep angle to the window.

I don't know whether you can imagine what that might look like or how it would work, but I suppose you just try and you'll figure it out.

I didn't use any sealant but I did put quite a lot of vaseline (grease) between the rubber and the seal. Make sure to use acid-free vaseline, since normal vaseline can attack your rubbers, which is not what you want. The grease will repulse water so that it doesn't get trappend between the rubbers and the sill, rotting away your windowsill. Sealant could do that as well but as soon as there's a leak or a place where it doesn't really seal of totally, water will find it's way in through capillary action. Sealant's also nasty when you once wanna take out the window again, any left patches of sealant on the rubber, will ruïn it's sealing function.

Hope this info helps you, be sure to ask me more if you're not able to sort it out, maybe I can make some pictures of what I mean!

That sounds pretty straightforward. I'll give it a go. My restoration is taking a little longer than yours, and perhaps to a slightly lower standard, as I'm doing it outside....

Hey all,

Did some work on my 4 yesterday again. A friend of mine helped me during the morning. We installed the cabletree (right word?) and we attached the backlid. My friend inspected the main brake cilinder, which turned out to be usable luckily. Later on I installed the backseat, the rest of the dashboard (fuses etc.) as well as the gearshifting mechanism and some other enginebay components. A few (bad) pictures below.

• P1080672.jpg
    P1080672.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,241
  • P1080673.jpg
    P1080673.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,214
  • P1080674.jpg
    P1080674.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,215
You're doing a great job there Rutger, it's going together well. For cabletree read wiring-loom. Regards Brian.

Thanks Cornish!

I've been busy this weekend again. Weekend before that I had exams, which I passed, so that's a good thing. I now plan to be ready before Christmas, which I think might be my first realistic deadline haha.

I put in the windscreen and redid the upholstry on the driver's seat. Ofcourse did some other things as well but they don't really catch the eye so ...

Here's a few (bad) pictures.

Rutger

• P1080687.jpg
    P1080687.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 974
  • P1080688.jpg
    P1080688.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 964
  • P1080690.jpg
    P1080690.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,003
  • P1080692.jpg
    P1080692.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 975
  • P1080694.jpg
    P1080694.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 976
Keep on posting your success, excellent work !!!

But what's that with the antenna?
Looks pretty goofy!

I would get me one of these ...
http://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/antennas-aerials/classic-car-chrome-roof-aerial.html

Cheers,

David

Chrome-Roof-Base.jpg

Chrome-Roof-Full.jpg

Thanks Barnfind!

And those antenna's are indeed definitely more awesome! I will consider changing it! It's kind of a funny looking thing indeed :p.

Just a real quick update.

Later on I will post a little more detail. The engine hasn't ran yet, still need to fix the brakelines and bumpers etc.

A very happy new year to y'all!

Rutger.

• 166909_259475064113527_100001531072448_714001_1642256902_n.jpg
    166909_259475064113527_100001531072448_714001_1642256902_n.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,026
  • 401633_264633226931044_100001531072448_729031_1329640985_n.jpg
    401633_264633226931044_100001531072448_729031_1329640985_n.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,067
Hey!

True, I'll give you guys an update. I haven't posted anything since then because in appearance the car hasn't really changed (since it was quite finished right), so I thought there'd be no point in posting.

Nevertheless, I certainly haven't been sitting idle.

The car is running now, be it really poorly, but it runs. I've been trying to find the cause of it running so poorly. Among more I've adjusted the rockers, cleared the carburattor, changed the (in bad shape) sparkplug leads, checked the vacuum-thing... how do you call it, attached to the ignition.

I also flattened the carburattor-foot since it was curved pretty bad.

Right now I'm thinking it must be a leak manifoldgasket. So that's probably the next thing I'm going to check. I took the manifold off when I cleaned the engine and didn't change the gasket. Might be that it's sucking air there.

I also fit the brakes, which proved to be a pain in the ass. I had a lot of trouble with the flaring but in the end I mastered the skill, but it took me a few adapters for my Midlock flaring-set. Anyway, I put fluid in it, tried to bleed the system but it wouldn't work. Cleaned out the master brakecylinder and that fixed the problem. Right now the brakes are a not too strong yet but I think I forgot the spring for the brakedistributor so that might explain something and maybe I might have to bleed the system once more for any residual air in the lines.

Anyway, a lot of hassle with the engine and brakes thus. I also wasn't able to find a rearbumper but in the meantime found someone of the dutch R4-club who just gave it to me, it only still has to get here, so I'm really happy with that!

Right now I have exams again (I'm in the final stages of my studies) so I basically don't have time until the 13th of april, when I plan to have the thing finished and take it to the APK (Dutch version of the MOT).

Anyway, thanks for asking! I'll post any updates as soon as I get going with it again!

Regards,

Rutger.

I know what you mean about not posting, just because it doesn't look any different. Nevertheless, its good to hear what is happening and we all like to hear of any trials and tribulations that projects are going through, and how you've solved them.
I am sure that if, when you have time from your studies, you post up the symptoms, there will be quite a few forum members with useful suggestions and diagnoses.
Best of luck with the exams.

Rutger-Peer,

did you check for the points and the ignition timing?
Made a LOT of a difference to my F6 after sitting for a few years.
Actually the biggest improvement came when I installed my electronic ignition (123Ignition).
I know it's pretty steep in price, but I won't get tired recommending that upgrade! :cool:
It adds so much driveability to the R4.

Cheers and good luck with your exams!

David

I know what you mean Barnfind, I also keep a thread on the dutch forum on which I have asked some questions occasionally (it's easier with the specific technical terms at times, which I don't all know in English). But I've also had a mechanic beside the car who gave me some advice and I got some friends with some technical knowledge. But it's hard to even tell what the symptoms are as I can't really make sense of what's happening, it changes all the time (varies as well with a cold and a warm engine). But it appears that only 2 cylinders are running. I'd have to check the compression.

@ DavidN, as of the ignition, I've been adjusting that, but if you loosen it a bit, you can have the engine running and then adjust it and listen to the rpm's. That certainly affects the engine's performance and allows me to roughly set it right. But it stays that the engine is shaking like mad and doesn't run remotely well. It might well be some ignition-part like the condenser or something like that. But also regarding a drop in rpm's (or the whole engine choking) when I push the pedal and the fact that the engine will only run a little proper (and not cease immediately when pushing the pedal) when the choke is on points me toward a vacuumleak. And since I checked allmost everything now, it could well be the intakegasket.

Nevertheless, the ignition might be totally off so that's good advice you give. I'm thinking of changing the points and the condenser. But the thing is that I don't have a lot of money so I'd rather start excluding possible causes before randomly changing parts. I thought about 123 ignition, but it's just too expensive right now but chances are that I will buy one in the future.

Thanks for the luckwishes, I might need them ;).

I'll keep you updated!

From my recent experience, that sounds like a problem in the carburettor's idle circuit - I had grit in my idle jet that actually got stuck there while I was cleaning it :oops:
Might be worth double-checking. These amazingly detailed instructions helped me: http://www.la4ldesylvie.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=69

I have also had a leaky inlet manifold and the symptoms were different: it would not idle slowly so I had to keep the throttle always slightly open, but the performance at full throttle was fine. When "idling" the speed was very unsteady.

Do you have the restrictor in the pipe to the inlet manifold (pipe from rocker cover splits into two - one pipe to top of carburettor and one to inlet manifold which must have the restrictor. If it doesn't then block it completely.

If it is only running on 3 cylinders then chances are it's a distributor fault. After not being used for a long time the distributor corrodes a little and doesn't earth to the engine. I had that on one of my cars this year. Try removing the distributor. Unscrew the base plate (the points are screwed to the base plate and there are two screws holding it to the distributor). Remove the points. Then remove any corrosion so you have a good electrical connection from the points to the base place to the distrubutor to the engine.

Check the distributor cap too, especially that the carbon part at the top still moves.

Back